Rubber roof and fiberglass sides?

I have read numerous posts that you should never buy an RV with fiberglass sides or a rubber membrane roof. To me it seems that is all that's out there. Who makes RV's that don't have them? thanks

2. Member
    Airstream would be one example.

3. Papap
    just don't buy one and leave it outside 24/365 and you will be ok.
    2016 Ranger RT188
    Suzuki 115SS
    80# Fourtrex
    Lowrance HDS 10 & 9

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    I have read numerous posts that you should never buy an RV with fiberglass sides or a rubber membrane roof. To me it seems that is all that's out there. Who makes RV's that don't have them? thanks
    You don't want to buy them if you don't want to take care of them but that goes to say with anything.

5. Member
    Thanks....Airstreams are too small/tight. What other options are out there.....I don't want to be an RV maintenance guy.??

Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    Thanks....Airstreams are too small/tight. What other options are out there.....I don't want to be an RV maintenance guy.??
    Livin Lite is all aluminum if you dont mind the mechanical look. LivinLite All Aluminum Ultra Light Campers, Ultralight Campers, Lightweight Campers, Ultra-Lightweight Campers
    "I see dead people"

flying willie. here's an example had a nice Holiday Rambler 33' MH, wife wanted a TT, so sold the MH and got a TT back in 2001, membrane roof and metal sides.. eventually roof leak from that rubberized roof crap. and that stuff dealer sells for maintenance actually dries and shrinks the rubber roof over time,as the membrane deteriorates , also when you wash and clean it get the black crap running down sides of TT.. and the black wash stuff dulls the paint on TT walls.. so sold it at a big loss and did with out for several years.. went backwards and bought a 12 yr older used 1989 TT same brand but had all metal roof and metal sides. different floor plan but like the layout a lot better.. new one had the bedroom in front and full bath in rear.. older has front kitchen and booth, then center is more liven room style and rear bed and bath.. So as most it sets in drive way off to side as did the past ones lolo.. P.s. We did look at Brand New Ones again for 2015 and all had the rubber roof and real chincey made interior , the oldy has paneling and more homey than the motel 6 style lolo.. and as other post said Airstreams are nice but for occasional camp/fish/Hunt trips in woods etc impractical .too High $ for certain places and use.

8. Member
    Thanks Randy!

9. Member

I have a rubber roof and glass sides and I don't have problem with black streaks although I do wash and treat my roof. If I do get black steaks I just wash them off. Really, there is not as much maintenance to an RV is there is with a bass boat.

P.s. We did look at Brand New Ones again for 2015 and all had the rubber roof and real chincey made interior , the oldy has paneling and more homey than the motel 6 style lolo.. and as other post said Airstreams are nice but for occasional camp/fish/Hunt trips in woods etc impractical .too High $ for certain places and use.

I don't stay at Motel 6's but I doubt they look like what I stay in on my Camp/Fish trips.

I really like these but have never seen one in person. Do any of y'all have one?
    Quote Originally Posted by TightLip View Post

I have a 2006 Jayco with a rubber roof that has been on the same very sunny site since 2007. I clean and inspect once a year. The only leaks were where the screws for the antenna and cable come through. A little caulk solved that. As for the appliances my Attwood's have been flawless, and the Norcold fridge has been on 24/7/365 since July 4, 2007, and has made a lot of ice for adult beverages.
    Last edited by sorrybasser; 10-16-2015 at 06:54 PM.

12. Banned
    Clean and treat a rubber roof yearly, inspect the seams twice a year and the roof will outlast your desire to keep the unit.

I prefer fiberglass sides. Looks nicer. Just get it waxed yearly and it's good to go.

13. Member
    My 2004 5er had rubber roof and fiberglass sidewalls. Never had a leak and used it a lot. Sold it this past summer and bought a 2015 5er with rubber roof and fiberglass sidewalls. In 10 years I'll sell it leak free and go another round.

14. Member
    transamz9, that is one sweet rig you got there!
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

15. Member
    What's the best rubber roof wash? And best way to do it? I have a rubber roof winnebago that needs a good wash

16. Banned
    Just about every travel trailer and fifth wheel trailer on the market will have a EPDM (rubber) roof. My last travel trailer was aluminum sided, and give me fiberglass sides any day.
    The aluminum sided trailers leak terrible over time at the corners.

Best rubber roof wash is Dawn dishwashing liquid--preferably without much smell. Just squirt it on a wet roof and scrub it down with a coarse nylon bristle push broom on a good telescoping pole. Then wash it off with a strong stream of plain water.

I use a car wash or RV wash soap on the side walls with a 18" soft bristle brush on the telescoping pole.

I got up on the roof and washed mine last week in the rain. The roofs will last so much longer if properly maintained, and my fifth wheel is a 2015 model. It was very dirty.