Progressive cancelled my boat policy after 10 years

I have a 2007 Bullet 21XDC/ 300XS and have been fully covered by Progressive for the last 10 years. I have never filed a claim. I got a notice from them yesterday that they will no longer write my boat policy once it expires Feb 2. I pay by the year. Is this something new with this company claiming my boat is to fast to meet their speed ratings. The speed ratings didn't seem to bother them the last 10 years. Boat is paid for and I live in Florida. Does anyone have suggestions on a company that will ensure this boat. If not i am going to sell it and quit fishing as I will not pull it out of the garage without it being fully insured.

Call Bob at Worldwide Marine. He can straighten things out for you.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Check out Charter lake insurance out of Grand rapids Michigan. They have always had the best rates for my business. Im pretty sure they offer regular boat insurance also

Yea, I just opened a policy with Progressive but have had several with them over the years. I noticed that they are now asking what the maximum speed the boats are capable of. I don't remember that being asked years back.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Call Bob at Worldwide Marine. He can straighten things out for you.
    Yep he is the man, just paid mine for the year. I had a claim over the summer and it was taken care of very quickly and was back on the water in less than 2 weeks, no hassle, no jumping through hoops just a few pictures of the damage from the repair shop and had a check in 3 days.

6. Member
    Ive had mine with Foremost for the last several years, really pleased with them, any Farmers insurance agent can write a Foremost policy

7. Member
    Check out Travelers!

8. Member
    Maximum speed? Seriously???
    Lots, and I mean LOTS of variables there. I mean with zero gear, 5 gallons of fuel, 140 pound driver, glass smooth water it'll be 15 mph faster than full of gear, 3/4 tank, and two 250 pound riders. Not that my ol' Nitro is fast, but folks ask me how fast it'll go. I tell them that I've heard they'll do 74, but NOT with me in it! It's all relative I reckon.

But yeah, United Marine Underwriters or Bob Luellen will fix ya' right up.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

9. Member
    Try AAA I think they do boat insurance?

Surprised they have kept you this long. My progressive agent has to fight with them every renewal to keep mine insured. Ive went thru just about every company

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

11. Member
    It’s best, because I’ve been told by mechanics that progressive tends to deny claims over all others!

It's been years since I ran into it but lots of insurers used to deny coverage on bassboats because of horsepower to length ratio. I mean like over 30 years.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

13. Fishing is a Passion
    I believe Boat US has insurance available
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

14. Member
    Any feedback on allstate?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungRE2 View Post
    I have a 2007 Bullet 21XDC/ 300XS and have been fully covered by Progressive for the last 10 years. I have never filed a claim. I got a notice from them yesterday that they will no longer write my boat policy once it expires Feb 2. I pay by the year. Is this something new with this company claiming my boat is to fast to meet their speed ratings. The speed ratings didn't seem to bother them the last 10 years. Boat is paid for and I live in Florida. Does anyone have suggestions on a company that will ensure this boat. If not i am going to sell it and quit fishing as I will not pull it out of the garage without it being fully insured.
    Dang it. I have been with them even even longer then 10 years. Guess I am happy with my 150 on the back of the 201.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
    Any feedback on allstate?
    I have mine with Allstate... good rates.... never had a claim.... they happily accept my payment every year. Hopefully won’t have to find out how good/bad they are.

17. Banned
    The big auto insurers offer marine insurance as a way to support their good auto/truck customers. They don't care about handling boat insurance, and their policies often have holes in them that would be covered by a real boat insurance company. Cost of cleaning gas tank damage is one of them.

Go with one of the insurance companies that fits the needs of a boat owner better. I'm with U.S Boat presently.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim kroul View Post
    It’s best, because I’ve been told by mechanics that progressive tends to deny claims over all others!
    Tim is right progressive wont pay. i had a trailer claim and an outboard claim and they did not cover neither one. they are very bad.

19. Member
    Guys, they will ALL accept your money at one time or another. BUT..... getting them to PROPERLY cover a claim is an entirely different matter. Most auto/homeowners companies don't even have the infrastructure in place to even know WHAT to cover on a boat, much less handle the claim when it happens.

Are there less expensive alternatives than United Marine Underwriters, Worldwide Marine Underwriters (IE Bob Luellen), and say Boat US? Absolutely!
    And thankfully probably 80%~90% of boat owners might never need to know the difference. But when you DO... it's a "pay me now" or "you pay out the ying yang later" scenario.

As for Progressive... my daughter (and her hubby) moved to Albuquerque summer of 17, bought their first home. Shopped rates, and of COURSE thought that the cheapest rate was the best. Late last summer/early fall there was a record setting hail storm in Albuquerque. Three hail stones filled my SIL's hand *and he's 6'3"*. Small ones were golf ball size, larger ones were tennis ball size!

They had a BRAND NEW Colorado Z71 that they'd made 1 payment on, as well as a 3 year old KIA Sportage. Both vehicles SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOTALLED! They JUST NOW got them repaired! They have a tempered glass sunroom addition on the back of their home. It took a major beating, cracking the glass panels all over. Progressive kept beating them up, trying to come up with a way to individually replace panels. Meanwhile everything had been sprayed with FlexSeal trying to get it not to leak inside their home. It's been leaking for over 6 months! Progressive FINALLY agreed to replace the entire structure ($40K) because you simply cannot pull individual sections out from between the aluminum supports, much less the curved outer edge.

Sad, but the hardest part of their situation was that most of the body shops wouldn't work with Progressive, and the ones that did, did terrible work (had terrible reviews). My daughter has been the driving force behind getting all of it handled, as it's right up her ally. She's a Deputy Program Director Space and Cyber Systems for an engineering firm that puts up satellites. She's used to handling people, and doing 'paper work'. But with Progressive.....she's been about ready to do target practice on um'.

I wouldn't insure my dogs collar with them.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken