Z8/ Ford Explorer

I am thinking about changing my tow vehicle from an F-150 to an Explorer.

The truck has the V6 Eco boost and it pulls great so I am planning on getting the same motor, but I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble towing with an Explorer.
    Russell Deakins
    L-Raisin' Anglers

Upgrade the brakes.

Even with the trailer breaks?
    Russell Deakins
    L-Raisin' Anglers

4. Member
    Should be fine...won't be as stable as the F150 (obviously) but the 3.5 EB will tow!!!

2010 Triton 190 Escape w/150 Optimax pulled by a 2016 F-150 FX4 SCrew 3.5 EB

5. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleRD25 View Post
    Even with the trailer breaks?
    It will be fine,, the explorer will handle it stock easily

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

6. Banned
    I've got a year old Explorer, and it's a teriffic vehicle. With the stock 3.5 engine, it's got 290 horsepower and it's capable of 25 mpg @ 70 mph. It should tow your boat okay.

I'm fortunate that I've got a F250 diesel to tow my boat with. We also use it to haul a new fifth wheel trailer from time to time.

I tow a Skeeter Sx 180 with an Explorer. Obviously not quite the same as your situation, but mine does just fine. Only problem I'm having is that it's getting old and will need a new tow vehicle soon.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

8. Member
    My 2014 explorer sport tows my triton easily and brakes extremely well. I don't have any issues with brake fade, rotor deposits, rotor warping , brake pulsation, etc. the truck just does the job. 22,000 miles so far and I tow my boat a ton. Short and long trips. It's awesome.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

9. Member
    I pull my 2015 Z7 with a 2013 Explorer with the 3.5L v6, it does fine for the most part, doesn't sway at all, stops quickly (trailer does have surge brakes). Only problem is on larger hills the motor really has to work to get up and over. If you can swing it make sure to the the backup camera and the navigation system. I get 14 - 15 MPG towing on flatter ground, if going up and down it drops to 13 - 14. When not towing I typically get 19 in town driving and 22 - 23 on the highway. Backing straight can be tricky since my trailer is so much wider than the Explorer, but the smaller vehicle makes it nice to maneuver around tight ramps.

10. Member
    Double check but I'm fairly certain the sport comes with bigger front brakes than the non-sport explorers. This would explain why I feel it brakes so well with no latent issues or problems you sometimes see on other suv s that are not typically designed with towing in mind or as a priority.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559