1995 Skeeter 200ZX

I'm looking at a 1995 Skeeter 200ZX single console on a tandem trailer with a 1998 Mercury 200hp EFI. The seller wants $5000 for it. What are your thoughts on this setup? Anything inparticular to look for?

2. Member
    I have a 2003 ZX200 with a 2002 OX66 200 HP on it & I absolutely love it. I just bought it back in the spring. Only problems I have with it have nothing to do with the boat or motor at all. Its the little things that I want to change to fit my needs rather than the way the previous owner had it set up.

Jason

3. Member
    Is this a good motor? I've seen some youtube videos of this size skeeter and they seem to purpoise a lot. Is that so?

4. Member
    They porpoise, until you learn to drive them. Seat time fixes that. You learn what to do to prevent it/stop it. Got a 2006 Zx200 this spring, and just recently in the last month finally learning to fix that porpoise. The way the boats setup is a big part of that. The zx200 is a great boat! Perfect size, handles rough water, has good speed. Just give it time and you'll learn to fix that porpoise if it has a problem with it. The owner may know that boat very well already, and if so, just ask him. Every boat is different

5. Member
    Yeah my 94 Astro would porpoise some, which annoyed the hell outa me. So if Skeeters are bad at doing this because of the rear sponsoons design, I may have to rethink it...

6. Member
    Mine, personally, was bad at doing it until recently. When running at any speeds, it would do it. Recently, it has been perfect without a problem. If i hit a rolling wave, even just one, it starts to porpoise, and it won't stop. That is the problem that i haven't found a fix to yet

not a merc guy , I might suggest a post in the merc forums,,,,on another note I would say that boat surely came with a Johnson or evinrude originally, so you are looking at a boat that has had wiring modification/changes for sure,,,i will say its a solid hull good in big water but you aint gonna do 70,,,if I am not mistaken its also the last year skeeter owned company, and aside for a few minor repairs its a damn solid trouble free boat, well as trouble free as bass boats get that age LOL

8. Member
    I bought a new to me 95 300ZX, it came with a 225 carb motor on it, the boat was not in horrible shape when I bought it, but I also looked it over very closely, before I purchased it. I got it for $3500.00. The power-head was shot but I knew that when I checked it out, so I had already planned on a rebuilt motor head, needed all new carpeting, and some glass work, when the cockpit and the cap came together on the floor. I'm pretty handy, so to me it was a good deal.

I did a ton of work on the boat to get it fishing ready, but overall, total I have less than 10K in the boat with a new power-head, and everything in restored and perfect shape.

The boat is an animal on the lake, have had it over 76MPH and still have some throttle left and not totally RPMed out.

They are heavy boats in the stern, especially if you change out the batteries to something decent, and if your running a 36 volt system, it gets really heavy. I'm not running a 36 volt system, so I have 3 group 29 AGM batteries in the stern and it's still somewhat heavy. If it propped correctly and jack-plate tuned, the boat is a speedy rocket.

Overall I am extremely pelased with my older boat. The overall fishing experience is amazing compared to what I had, and I don't have a 50K+ boat payment. Worth it to me.

The older Skeeters do porpoise, but like said above, seat time fixes that.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Rob

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo924 View Post
    not a merc guy , I might suggest a post in the merc forums,,,,on another note I would say that boat surely came with a Johnson or evinrude originally, so you are looking at a boat that has had wiring modification/changes for sure,,,i will say its a solid hull good in big water but you aint gonna do 70,,,if I am not mistaken its also the last year skeeter owned company, and aside for a few minor repairs its a damn solid trouble free boat, well as trouble free as bass boats get that age LOL
    This isn't necessarily correct info. Before Yamaha bought the company, you could buy a Skeeter and have it rigged with the motor of your choice. Many were sold with Mariner motors in this part of the country.

10. Member
    When did Yamaha buy skeeter? What year?

11. Member
    96 I believe

12. Member
    Stemco '61, Coleman '83, Yamaha '95

13. Member
    they may have bought them in late 96, but it was 97 before everthing went yamaha. I had a 96 that had a merc and at the 97 owners tournamnt everthing had yamahas and at the 96 tounament they did not.

I've got a 1995 200ZX with a 1998 200 OX66 Yamaha , duel Console.. running an old 25 tempest on it and getting 63 MPH out of it..

15. Member
    my 96 zx200 was bought new with a Merc also, i still have it, been under a tarp last few years, but now that i am retired i plan to bring her back out to do battle once again. Porpoising is not a problem on mine, mine had a 200 EFI on it , but was changed before purchase to a 150 to be able to fish BASS, and i love the 150 on it, have never felt under powered with her. She will be back in the water by spring if not before.

16. Member
    Rock solid boat. Mine had a 200 Mariner. Ran 70 easy. Nice and smooth. I didn't have any problems with our porpoising at all.

17. Member
    I would not worry about the boat.i would be more concerned with the engine.if you buy make sure you have a merc tech in your area that knows that year engine.i found out the hard way that several merc techs know nothing about the older merc efi.they are very strong engines when they run right but when they start having electrical intermittent problems,you are in trouble.some of the older models efi also had problems with the oil injection system.i think the injection gear splines were made out of plastic instead of metal which they did correct in the later years.i just sold a 2000 model 175efi because no one in my area could ever fix the problems.i am talking about within a 4 hour drive in three different states.it was nickel & dime me to death and the engine was still not right.thanks and good luck
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

18. Member
    Great boat and those are pretty strong motors when they are right.

If it porpoises bad it's usually set-up/prop issues + some driver error sometimes.

I never had issues with mine.

19. Member
    How do you have your jackplate set up? I have a 1995 200zx with a 200 Mariner. I'm trying to find right prop and setup.

20. Member
    I have a 96 zx200c with 200 efi. I dont have any problems with porpoising. Running a 25 trophy. Dual pp’s. Fishes good. Overall i like the boat.