Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

201XL DC evo 250 pro XS?

Looking for some input on the pros/cons I have looked at the likes and dislikes page but nothing really new listed.

If you have a 201 EVO what are your likes and dis likes about the boat. I am looking to get one and would like to know what you might change on your boat.

The boat I am looking at is a 2013 dealer demo with 23 hours!

I have been in older 201 294 I have a 2002 javlin. just trying to make an informed decision.

other boats in the running

2009 triton 21X3 with 250
    2009 puma FTD with 250

thank you in advance for any inputs. if you dont want to put any thing on record IE for everyone to see please PM me.

Thanks

Duff
    SEAGUAR

2. Member
    I've had my 201 EVO for 20 months now and I have some observations. I apologize for any typos or confusing sentences. I had to come back to this between meetings. LOL.

Pros:
    Top Speed - upper 70s to low 80s depending on load. I've personally hit 83 empty and 78 fully loaded. These will differ depending on your setup/lower unit
    Ride - This boat rides amazing. Rough water ride is much better than its predecessors. This is a 1850lb hull with the DC. I've run some pretty hairy stuff and always come home safe and impressed by how well it handled the situation.
    Handling - Tried and true hull design. handles very well in nearly all conditions. Because it can run so fast, it can ride high. Trim on the engine and plate are your allies for tight cornering.
    Ergonomics - This is where Stratos finally came through. The cockpit is well designed with great features. Even better if you get the smart craft upgrade
    Storage - Excellent storage. Very roomy and always dry. The center box storage is excellent. I love the integrated lid storage too. I did pull out the port side rod tubes because I carry a bunch of rods.
    Customer Service - I've had a rod buckle break and a few cam bars snap. Ranger/Stratos was all over it and got me the new parts very quickly and no questions asked. I also had some setup questions about the boat. Stratos worked with me and even helped me reach out to Mercury when trying to achieve the best possible hole shot on my boat. It's been a great experience so far.

Cons:
    Latches - the cam bars on my latches keep breaking (this was addressed in the 2015 model)
    Bow graph placement - The graph is centered and it can be a pain depending on how your trolling motor cable is routed (this was addressed in the 2015 model)
    Cup Holders - DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THESE. They flat out suck. It's a running joke/complaint among EVO owners

Setup Challenges:
    Hole Shot - This is heavily setup based. A hydraulic plate is a must. If you have a torquemaster gen 2 lower, you will have blowout issues on launch that can be handled with setup.
    Prop Choice - Again depending on the lower unit props can get tricky. I am running a 26p Fury and it works great for top end but just average for hole shot. The effects are reversed with a 25p. I could go all day on prop choices and their impact on the 201 EVO/ProXS
    Bow Lift - The boat seems weighted heavily to the back. Everyone talks about moving gear to the rear for speed. Yes, this generates crazy speed but sacrifices a ton of hole shot on the 201 EVO I do the opposite and still maintain good speed while gaining in every other area. Properly set up, this boat can get bow lift even loaded down up front. I found that my ride greatly improved when I moved gear forward. 3-4' waves are handled much better than before by keeping the nose down.

I hope all of this helps. I absolutely love my 201. I've been in just about every boat on the common market today and I still prefer my 201. Most companies make great boats but I love my Stratos. Good luck with your search.

3. Member
    Good info there

However, I'm not sure I would want the nose down in 3-4' waves, unless you're trying to get wet. But maybe I've been doing it wrong in the rough stuff!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M4A1 View Post
    Good info there

However, I'm not sure I would want the nose down in 3-4' waves, unless you're trying to get wet. But maybe I've been doing it wrong in the rough stuff!
    You're right about getting wetter here and there. The main point I was trying to make is that the 201 EVO can maintain bow lift even with the gear moved forward. Without loading the front, I spent too much time with my prop grabbing nothing but air. LOL. It's a give an take with the loading of the front end. I consider it an asset to be able to load the boat for situations. I've got it balanced to where I'm happy now. I can keep it down enough to keep the prop in the water and still keep the front end up.

Does it lean to one side when coming out of the hole? Some of the older hulls do that.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

6. Member
    Nope. No issues with that at all. For me it's very level at all times.

7. Member
    only bad part about this boat is those dang cup holders, rod locker handles,and the dash and console wont hold big graphs...the 2015 has made all those upgrades! fast haul and performs awesome....
    Aaron Strickland Wheelersburg, Ohio
    2000 bullet 21 xdc 300xs
    "do to others what you would have them do to you"[/I][/B]

8. Member
    What's the issue with the cup holders?

9. Member
    they break easily, rip your leg off, poor quality made, and they are in a terrible location.
    2000 bullet 21 xdc 300xs

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitsy bug View Post
    they break easily, rip your leg off, poor quality made, and they are in a terrible location.
    I step on them every time I have them open. The only use they have for me is making a co-angler freak out thinking they damaged my boat when they bump one and it comes apart. I usually get a good 2-3 minutes of "I'm so sorry man. I'll pay for that. I promise" before I let them know it happens all the time.

11. Member
    lol! i might have to try that....but i only have one that actually works....the other one in swimming in the ohio river.
    2000 bullet 21 xdc 300xs

12. Moderator
    The cup holders were removed off of mine within 2 weeks of purchasing it.
    I running a 2012 evo with 250 proxs. My comments will echo some of the ones mentioned above. I can assure you there isn't a better riding boat in the big water. I would like to come up with a 4 blade prop next time I fish and its gonna be rough. With the 3-blade 27 tempest the boat lacks torque to really jump when you need it to. That being said it still handled it just fine. I had a rough time learning how to maneuver the big sled around marinas when several boats where around. It about takes a 20 acre field to get it turned around. As for the speeds; I've seen 80 one time and it was completely unloaded little gas and cool water. I am lucky to get mid 70s with a tourney load. And it really not that loaded down. But at 75 it's out running most boats on the lake. My overall opinion is that it's a great boat for a reasonable price. My next boat will be another evo

13. Member
    I have my finger on one that is a dealer demo. I am pretty sure i can nab it for 35K. It will be hard to keep me out of this boat in a few months. Just waiting until after winter I don't have the space to store it during the winter. besides I can save up a few more nickles towards the boat to save on amount financed.

Thank you all for the inputs. now I just gotta hope my waiting game pays off in the long run. Also hoping they will drop price to off load a 3 year old boat!
    SEAGUAR

14. Member
    and where is this new 3 year old boat???????lol!
    2000 bullet 21 xdc 300xs

15. Member
    im joking man....i wouldnt tell a soul either...good luck!
    2000 bullet 21 xdc 300xs

My guess is Smithville Marine!!! Just because I believe they have one that matches that description pretty close!! Got my eye on it....
    Last edited by KCLOST; 10-20-2015 at 07:45 AM.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitsy bug View Post
    im joking man....i wouldnt tell a soul either...good luck!
    Im not shy about it. KCLOST nailed it on the head! I am not dumb I know the chances of it being gone come late Jan is pretty good. I just have to wait on the VA to return my Disability rating and see if I am getting paid for it or not. If I am lucky enough for this boat to be available when the VA gets off thier A$$ and finish my Claim. If not I am looking at a few other boats. Smithville also has a 14 with a 250 SHO which I would be interested in but it has twice the hours as the 13 does.
    SEAGUAR

18. Member
    stratosfisher

how is it when fishing in the wind does it blow around alot? I have heard they can be difficult to handle on the trollingmotor in high winds? it would seem from your description there might be some truth to this, if they are heavy in the rear! I only ask cause if this is the case I might just have to add PP or Talons Which I have never used, am I missing out by never having them or are they chunks of metal I will use 5% of the time?
    SEAGUAR

I'm just kidding with ya, Duff... Both of those boats were Catfish's (owner) and used very little, babied so to speak. I have seen them in the showroom a million times, as I have been a ProStaff member with SM for the last several years. Now that I am without a boat, I am a good friend with everyone there... Used to Demo boats or help in the showroom for them when needed. If you want to take it for a run, let Travis know he will set u you up.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

20. Member
    I have a 92 201 and have been impressed with her the last 12 years I've owned her. After reading all these posts its pretty cool that the new 201's are getting very positive reviews. Just curious how the new 201's compare to the Rangers, Bass Cats, and Allisons ride wise? Saw a post up there saying the 201 handles very well in rough water, which is something I definitely want as live close to Erie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast