Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Terrible, terrible, terrible. Went Sunday with a buddy of mine in his boat. Put in at burnside. Fished from Conley bottom north and never put the first fish in the boat. I’ve never saw a Shad die off that bad in my life. Seemed to me they where by the millions. Yesterday I went back with my boat and put in the dam. Managed 3 small fish, no keepers. Water looked better and there wasn’t near as many shad on that end of the Lake.
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

Saw a large school of Shad back in Jamestown that was far from dying. Have yet to see these large dieoffs of shad.
    Hook sets are free

3. Banned
    Shad die offs happen every year. Seems the upper end may be experiencing something else? I'll take a spoon or jerk bait for a thousand, and 90% of the time have a lot of fun.

4. Member
    I think it s just cold stress-from what I’ve read, water temp42-43 is shad killer . I haven’t seen the lake this cold in a long time

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Shad die offs happen every year. Seems the upper end may be experiencing something else? I'll take a spoon or jerk bait for a thousand, and 90% of the time have a lot of fun.
    Dont go right now then or you’ll experience the other 10%. And you’ll lose your money..
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Fished them both Sunday midlake & never had a hit. The only thing that did get hit was a shakey head twice & never hooked up on either of them. Folks been throwing spoons, silver buddys & jerkbaits for awhile now & have told me they aren't getting bit either.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HH45cal View Post
    I think it s just cold stress-from what I’ve read, water temp42-43 is shad killer . I haven’t seen the lake this cold in a long time
    I think that is exactly what is happening too. All I know it was warmer this time lastyear by about 3 degrees & they were biting pretty good too. I grew up on Cumberland at the head of White Oak & have never saw such big schools of suspended fish like they are now & so many dead shad either.
    Last edited by Les Young; 01-31-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Have to echo the sentiments on the jerkbait. Haven't gotten a sniff on it, which I don't understand. Will pick up a fish here or there still on a crankbait, but big bites have come from a senko and jig.
    Hook sets are free

9. Member
    Went today 1lm,1sm (non keeper) 2 striper

Quote Originally Posted by cbp84 View Post
    Went today 1lm,1sm (non keeper) 2 striper
    What area? Upper, mid, or lower?
    Hook sets are free

11. Member
    Sorry, smallie in difficulty, stripes in caney, lm in lilly. No dead shad observed. Threw a rig, jerkstick, and jigs. Wind was a bitch

12. Member
    Shad die off has started moving toward the dam. Saw them in beaver/otter and had a buddy that saw them on the main lake. We had a pretty good day. 14 fish, one keeper brown, 4 keeper lm and a keeper spot with a couple other smallies over 17". Absolutely no pattern to them
    They aint got hands, set the hook

13. Member
    Interesting article by jason cristy on bassmaster the other day- basically he went from catching great fish to nothing over 2 weeks as a shad kill developed on his local lakes - said in that case he’d fish areas with no shad with low expectations

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12