Question Winterizing motor on a pontoon that stays in the water

Good morning all.

A buddy of mine at work just asked me a question and I didn't know the answer. He just bought a pontoon this poast spring and he keeps it in the water at a marina. We were talking about how to winterize the motor since it will be kept in the water. He does not have a garage to keep it in or a dry storage to keep it in.

It can get cold enough here in TN to cause harm to a motor that stays outside all the time.

Can anyone give him some pointers on what to do to keep the motor from freezing while it sits in the water all winter?

Thanks

Neumy

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Treat the gas, I would raise the motor and let the water drain out the top of the block, then tilt it back level.

If you get all the water out of the block it should be OK I'm thinking, don't leave the motor trimmed up. Water from rain can get in the housing and freeze busting the housing. It hasn't got cold enough did the lakes to freeze hard in years thanks to global warming

Always taking a chance leaving it in the water.

Hickory Legend

3. Member
    my uncle has left his in the water for years with the motor down. No problem, just treat the gas real good.

4. Banned
    I'd suggest putting 100% gasoline in the tank with Stabil or comparable products in the fuel. I'd also suggest running the engine and disconnecting the fuel line until the engine stumbles to a stop--if it's a 2 stroke. It's also best if the lower unit grease is changed at the end of the season to get any water in the oil out of it.

I've got a Yamaha F150 on a pontoon boat, but it stays out of the water in a boat house. I change the oil and filter in the Fall so it's ready to go in the Spring. And I never run the fuel injection system dry on a four stroke engine--keeping the tank full of 100% gasoline. I also put Yamaha's Ringfree Plus in the gasoline on any four stroke motors.

5. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    He can go out and start it every now and then and let it run if he gets a chance, if he doesn't run it dry.