Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1990 Yamaha 150 ProV

Hi Everyone!
    After a bunch of years, I'm getting back into fishing! I just got an older Ranger with a 1990 Yamaha 150 ProV. Is there a link / discussion on this (or another) forum that discusses general maintenance for folks that can't really find their way around a motor. If it's simple enough, I want to perform some maintenance in order to keep things running smooth. What are 2-3 things I could potentially do frequently? I'm currently running Quiksilver - good, OK, or switch? I really appreciate the tips!!

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    been running pennzoil marine,synthetic blend in mix,18 years,pennzoil in lower unit change once a year.replace waterpump every 2 years.run good plugs and high octane gas,treat with ethanol treatment always, use seafoam twice a year, check grease fittings and fuel filter,
    1997 prov 175 never seen a mechanic.
    2013-08-31 17.52.49.jpg

3. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    I had a 1990 150proV on a Ranger 481V for about 7 years. Sold it to buy my BassCat last year. Quicksilver oil should be ok. I ran Pennzoil semi-synthetic and Amsoil and never had any problems. If it doesn't have it installed, I would recommend a 10 micron fuel water separating filter to keep those carb jets from getting clogged. Change the lower unit oil at least once a year and replace the drain plug gaskets when you do. Parts are easy to get for this motor on Boats.net.
    Change out your water pump impeller if your WOT water pressure drops below 12 psi. Also, NEVER run anything other than NGK BR8HS-10 spark plugs in it. Aside from all this, run it like you stole it! Those ProV's are beasts!

ALSO, it's expensive, but I would highly recommend Yamaha ringfree in every tank of gas to prevent carbon build up in the cylinders.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

4. Member
    Whoa, that Ringfree is like uranium! I checked and I'm running those plugs. Will look into the other suggestions as well, and check back later. Oh, one thing I'm looking for is a decal set for the cowling. Mine is pathetic. I've found a few sources for decals - any recommendations? Boats.net? Thanks guys!

5. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Boats.net has part #'s for the cowling graphics but they list them as obsolete parts.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

6. Member
    Iguana Graphics, a sponsor here

7. Xpress Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie206 View Post
    Iguana Graphics, a sponsor here
    X2! He can make you what ever you want. He did the Pro-V 115 in my avatar, but we changed them up a little from stock.

8. Member
    Wow! Iguana does excellent work. I'll definitely give him a shout. However, first, I believe I need to remove old stickers, and then re-paint the cowling. Don't want to stick his art work on my mess.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xpress spanky View Post
    X2! He can make you what ever you want. He did the Pro-V 115 in my avatar, but we changed them up a little from stock.
    Attached are the decals for my engine (1990 Yamaha ProV 150), that Iguana sent me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    been running pennzoil marine,synthetic blend in mix,18 years,pennzoil in lower unit change once a year.replace waterpump every 2 years.run good plugs and high octane gas,treat with ethanol treatment always, use seafoam twice a year, check grease fittings and fuel filter,
    1997 prov 175 never seen a mechanic.
    2013-08-31 17.52.49.jpg
    Drewtick,
    Which ethanol treatment do you use? Do you (or anyone) ever use ethanol free gas? Will the Pennzoil (or any other) lower unit oil apply to all engines, or are there certain blends to use for certain engines, say a carbed 150 vs a 4stroke 115? Enough questions for now... thanks for the help. I'm trying to do alot of this maintenance myself!

11. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Ethanol Free gas is hard to come by here and the ones who have it only have 87 octane , I have never ran anything less than 93 octane or 91 if out of town and all i could get.
    I use this
    2015-10-14 12.29.14.jpg and I still use SeaFoam Twice a Year.

any quality brand name lower unit gear oil should be fine I would stick with one brand, I know valvoline has the squeeze tubes but its much better to buy a $15 pump kit and use Quart Bottles.

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar

13. Member
    I drained my lower unit gear oil this weekend, AND IT WAS MILKY! ARGHHHH. I just bought the boat, and suspect it probably hasn't been changed in a while. I had my compression checked a couple of weeks ago and it's 120psi on each cylinder. So, does this mean it needs a seal kit? The oil screw didn't have an o-ring, but it does now. So, I thought that I would fish again on Friday, then check again after that.

14. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Milky is not good but could be just from condensation if it has sit for a long time and maybe a little water around the plug , I would run once an check again, if it seems to be ok and not getting more water I would still recommend changing it again soon just for a good cleaning.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

15. Member
    Milky is not good but could be just from condensation if it has sit for a long time and maybe a little water around the plug , I would run once an check again, if it seems to be ok and not getting more water I would still recommend changing it again soon just for a good cleaning.
    I'm having the local shop run a lower unit pressure test on it today. I'm hoping it's just because it sat for a while, and maybe some water was passing the drain screw that was missing an o-ring. Will have the results later today.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JigAWorm View Post
    I'm having the local shop run a lower unit pressure test on it today. I'm hoping it's just because it sat for a while, and maybe some water was passing the drain screw that was missing an o-ring. Will have the results later today.
    Yep, it needs a lower unit seal kit, and water pump kit. I think every seal was losing pressure, and there was about a half mile of line wrapped around the prop internals. I'm going to strip off the grease and spool it on.

17. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

18. Member
    That's a good looking pump. The fins on mine were like fish arches on a graph. How long to lower unit seals, and water pumps usually last?

I have a 1989 ProV 150. You can download the owners manual online. It has a good section for periodic maintenance.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texomaman View Post
    I have a 1989 ProV 150. You can download the owners manual online. It has a good section for periodic maintenance.
    Thanks Texomaman, I'll give that a look for sure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast