Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    What brand of fuel / water separator do you guys run? Or does it matter as long as it's 10 micron? I appreciate all the advice - learning more by the day!

2. Member
    What fuel filter and water separator to get for Yamaha 150proV 1991. Just picked up older boat needs some TLC maint. Thanks
    Last edited by khart; 06-22-2020 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khart View Post
    What fuel filter and water separator to get for Yamaha 150proV 1991. Just picked up older boat needs some TLC maint. Thanks
    This will work.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierr...8?recordNum=22
    GO DAWGS

Quote Originally Posted by JigAWorm View Post
    Hi Everyone!
    After a bunch of years, I'm getting back into fishing! I just got an older Ranger with a 1990 Yamaha 150 ProV. Is there a link / discussion on this (or another) forum that discusses general maintenance for folks that can't really find their way around a motor. If it's simple enough, I want to perform some maintenance in order to keep things running smooth. What are 2-3 things I could potentially do frequently? I'm currently running Quiksilver - good, OK, or switch? I really appreciate the tips!!
    Jig,
    First of all, you have a great boat/motor combo. I've had my 1990 Ranger 362 / Yamaha 150 ProV for 30 years and I hope to take it to the grave. As others have recommended do a SeaFoam treatment a couple of times a year and I run Ring Free in non-ethanol gas as carbon buildup is the #1 killer of 2 stroke engines. My ProV came with NGK B8HS-10 spark plugs. Lift the cowl off and look for a sticker on the motor case just below the fuel pumps for the recommended plugs. Speaking of fuel pumps, if your fuel primer bulb pumps up and holds tight then fuel pumps are probably good. Since about 1995, I switched to running Amsoil products in all my combustion engines and the Amsoil 100% synthetic outboard oil reduced exhaust smoke and my plugs stay cleaner. Before you replace the plugs, I would recommend you get a can of Mercury Power Tune, follow the directions on the can and give those 3 carbs a good cleaning.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secdawgs View Post
    Thank you for that filter info!

happy with my 1992 ProV

Running a 1992 ProV150 - using 89 octane fuel, Amsoil outboard oil and lower unit oil. NGK plugs, Starton fuel additive with every fill up. Using Chevron gas with Techron to help keep the carbs clean. And have a 10 micron sierra fuel/water filter. One rebuild in 2015 due to a failed gasket. Not bad service from a 28 year old motor. Now if I could just find a marine mechanic in my new home in the Northwest that can spell "carburetor" (damm youngsters with computer readouts..)

7. Member
    I owned that exact motor even to this day that was still the best running outboard I have ever owned ....in 12 years it went into the shop one time. Bulletproof ,,,,winterized every year changed plugs every 2nd year- great motor :)

8. Member
    I have a 1992 Nitro 190TF with a Yamaha 150 ProV with a Ballistic 21 pitch prop, what is everyone else running on their 150 ProV's

9. Member
    what is everyone else running on their 150 ProV's

Tempest+ 23p

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

10. Member
    I am scared to go to a 23P. It has a plane fin on now and struggling to get out of the hole. I took the fin off and it was worse. Prop is a 14 3/8 diameter is that to big? Thought about a 4 blade smaller dia??

11. Member
    and struggling to get out of the hole.
    What is your RPM when you takeoff? Goal is somewhere in the 3000-3500 range (look up pmgoffjr for the real deal), and can be adjusted with PVS plugs on equipped props (or added by a prop shop)

12. Member
    Thank you and will give that a try. Prop shaft 5" below pad.

Thank you and will give that a try. Prop shaft 5" below pad.
    What Ranger model are you running with your ProV? The 5" below pad height could be affecting hole shot and top end. I'm running a 14.5"x 25P on my 362V / 150 ProV with good hole shot and 5600 RPM's at WOT and hit 60 mph with 2 big guys.

14. Member
    I had a 1991 Yamaha ProV for 19 years. Three months after owning it I switched to Amsoil and never had a problem. I used Ring Free for a couple of years but my Amsoil rep told me I didn't need ring free if using Amsoil. Never had any issue's.
    After 12 years I did blow a head gasket while getting stuck in the grass at Choke. When I took the heads off to replace the head gasket there was not a drop of carbon anywhere. My engine looked new internally.
    I now run Amsoil in my 225 mariner for the last 8 years with zero problems. Also in my lawn mower, weed eater and both vehicles I own. If you pay $15 dollars a year to Amsoil to be a preferred customer you can order a case of 4 gallons of Amsoil for $118 TYD, do it. Good luck what ever you do.

15. Member
    think I should raise the motor to 4"?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighaida View Post
    I had a 1991 Yamaha ProV for 19 years. Three months after owning it I switched to Amsoil and never had a problem. I used Ring Free for a couple of years but my Amsoil rep told me I didn't need ring free if using Amsoil. Never had any issue's.
    After 12 years I did blow a head gasket while getting stuck in the grass at Choke. When I took the heads off to replace the head gasket there was not a drop of carbon anywhere. My engine looked new internally.
    I now run Amsoil in my 225 mariner for the last 8 years with zero problems. Also in my lawn mower, weed eater and both vehicles I own. If you pay $15 dollars a year to Amsoil to be a preferred customer you can order a case of 4 gallons of Amsoil for $118 TYD, do it. Good luck what ever you do.
    Assuming two stroke oil and not fuel treatment?

17. Member
    Well ran the boat this weekend. WOT 6000 rpm's topend speed 57. Again running 21P Bulistic 14.5" now. Not much out of the hole but once start trimming the motor up she takes off. Prop shaft 5" below pad. Should I prop to 13.5"X23P and raise the motor a hole or two? 6000 rpm's to high?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12