Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    If you have a 200 opti max you only need to drop 1" in pitch to a 25" prop and that will put you at 5600-5650 loaded as you are now. Your motor is maxed at 5750 rpms not 6000 unless you have it flashed.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 10-07-2015 at 10:35 AM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    If you have a 200 opti max you only need to drop 1" in pitch to a 25" prop and that will put you at 5600-5650 loaded as you are now. Your motor is maxed at 5750 rpms not 6000 unless you have it flashed.
    Which is the best thing I like about the flash, it allows access to a couple hundred more rpm's. What is your limiter, md?
    Keith Broussard Caney Lake, Louisiana
    2000 TR21 2000 Mercury 250 Pro XB OG980775 14" hydro plate

3. Member
    Thanks MD!

4. Member
    My tag says 5750 but most 225 efi's are 5800 so I don't really know. I just run it until it chirps and back off if it gives me the solid beep. Never have that problem running a 27" prop but had it shut down twice with a 26" trophy and a 26" tempest.

5. Banned
    How much does a light fly wheel cost??? If I wanted one could I get it from Don??? I'm running a 06 225proxs.

6. Member
    No.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Manatee- I can't assist you with one (but will send you a PM with information).

Topic title <edited> (for clarification).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Manatee- I can't assist you with one (but will send you a PM with information).

Topic title <edited> (for clarification).
    Don, didn't realize you could get a lightened flywheel. What does it weigh? Sorry OP for the question.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allouttrimmed View Post
    Don, didn't realize you could get a lightened flywheel. What does it weigh? Sorry OP for the question.
    See topic title. This isn't something I offer- but you can contact them for information.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    You can have Simon lighten the flywheel for $300. Then get yourself some new reeds (carbon fiber or fiberglass). Chris Carson makes nice fiberglass reeds and they are reasonably priced. I m running them in my rebuilt 250ProXS. Those steel reeds will kill your motor when they break (not IF but WHEN). The major improvement to the reprogramming of the ECM is the higher Rev Limiter. You then need to get a prop with the proper pitch to get you up to the rev limiter to see any improvement from the reprogramming.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    TDR reeds are also very high quality- we have a reed specifically made for this engine series (really helps with idle quality, hole-shot and mid-range punch).

And much safer for the engine, as well.

Just as a matter of note: ALL 250XS and 250 ProXS engines (from first production) had Carbon-Fiber Reeds.

12. Member
    I contacted a shop I had used before about changing out the steel reeds in my 200 opti and he told me the carbon fiber ones have to be changed out every 50-75 hours and discouraged me from doing it. I've never heard of such a thing. Is there any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
    I contacted a shop I had used before about changing out the steel reeds in my 200 opti and he told me the carbon fiber ones have to be changed out every 50-75 hours and discouraged me from doing it. I've never heard of such a thing. Is there any truth to that?
    Wow, bringing back an old thread! I had Don install TDR reeds. They DO NOT need changed and they will probably never break. You can order the reeds from him or send your reed cages to him and he will lap them and install the reeds onto the cages.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

exactly ! ,that flywheel mod was originally done for the 3l efi's,when ppl. were turning 225's from 5800rpm to 6400+,, I'd never turn a regular old opti above it's stock rpm,too many moving parts to go kaboom,,totally different animals than 250xb and 300pm/x motors,,you would be better spending that $850 @ croxtons shop
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Sometimes the flywheel mod produces engine stalling, just so your aware. The mod works best on 250-300HP. If I were you I wouldn't do it to a 200HP. Work on the right prop with the correct amount of PVS venting.

15. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
    I ran Boyesen fiber reeds for 15 years in my modded 225 EFI. They were still in good shape when I replaced with TDR reeds. As long as you're not back firing from lean sneeze, they last.

My 225 EFI is 17 years old with thousands of hours on it. I used a scope to look at the cylinder walls this winter. You can still see the original finish. I run nothing but Premium Plus oil and Quickleen. With 300 PM heads, still have 130 lbs compression. I was amazed how clean the internals are after the years and hours on this motor.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12