Thread: Rookie mistakes

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Didn't lock the trailer hitch. Got back to ramp and sent buddy to get the truck. Came back without a trailer. Called the cops. Never did get the trailer back. Use a locking pin.

2. Member
    First time out in my first boat back in 1991. Didn't understand that you put the rod tie downs over the reel end if the rods. Was screaming across the lake, hit my first good wave and watched two of my Shimano Coriolis' attached to Falcon rods go over the side. That was high end gear back then.

instead of using the trolling motor near a rocky shore
    I decided to use the big motor and bam!! took a chunk off the skeg and chewed
    up the prop a bit..

4. Member
    I have a few:
    Forgot to take the straps off the back and back it in and buddy can't get the boat off the trailer.
    After I hooked my brother in the head with a crank bait I was rushing to get him back to shore and I forgot to put the trolling motor up.
    Fishing first club event having a crappy day not catching anything decide to move across the lake and forgot to pull up the trolling motor.
    Having reels towards back of boat and having $180 worth of rod and reel go flying past buddies face at 64mph. I asked him why he didn't try and grab the crank bait on it

Parents took out their boat first time in 5 years and I had mine out with them. They go in and are loading and I am right behind them pulling up to the dock as they're pulling their boat out and my brothers fiance drove their boat on forgot to raise the motor up. Well my dad with a bug up his a$$ had the windows up and my mom and future sister-in law are yelling for him to stop, 75 yards later he stops puts it in park to tie it down and they're yelling at him. I was laughing then loaded my boat by myself without problem even telling my mom and future sister in law to not touch my boat or anything I'll handle it myself after watching that circus
    2003 Skeeter ZX200

Don't think I posted this one yet... late last summer on my favorite river fishing with the wife and daughter in the boat. Had the bimini up for the ladies as the sun was really beating down on us and to make some room, I had put my brand new telescopic net on top of the bimini until I needed it. Puttering around beating the bank, caught some fish and time to pack it up. Put everything away and take off with the bimini still up... was 20 minutes down the river when I realized the net was missing

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftSS View Post
    Happened to me 2 weeks ago. Out on the lake at night...TM stops working. Never dawned on me that the breaker was tripped.

Have forgotten to take off the transom straps TWICE this season.
    I had trolling motor issue, checked wiring and pulled front panel, checked breaker nothing. Battery slide in the tray and the wire pulled out of the terminal. Completely ruined a 25 minute trip across the bay of Green Bay to Sturegeon Bay.
    2003 Skeeter ZX200

7. Member
    Had my adjustable slide plate for my hot foot pull out of the floor half way across the bay of Green Bay. 18 mile run and here I am 9 miles out under the dash trying to screw it back in getting thrown around in 2-4 footers. First time I ever got motion sick. While laying on the floor screwing in the adjustable plate we took a nice wave on from the side and got completely soaked.
    2003 Skeeter ZX200

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    My favorite was not something I did. Read about this years ago, maybe in bass and walleye boats or something.

Two noobs pull up, back down the ramp, one gets in and the other backs the thing up. Guy in boat cranks engine but it won't back off trailer (rear straps still attached). He motions to the other guy to do something, so he did. He disconnected the trailer. But it was low enough that the guy in boat didn't notice. Guy cranks boat, backs up and goes to dock. Never looked at the truck which now had no trailer attached. They both get in, pull away, hammer it and they are going about 5mph. Can't figure out why it won't go. They finally give up and one gets out to go back down the ramp to load the boat. Yells "someone stole our trailer". Eventually someone points out that their boat is sitting awfully low in the water and appears to have something hung on it. Namely the trailer.

I assume it was a true story but it does sound quite ridiculous.
    I hear these stories a lot with pontoon boats. People just assume the trailer is part of the boat and away they go.
    2003 Skeeter ZX200

Replaced steering cable on my first outboard years ago. Problem was, I put the cable in backwards and the boat would go left when steered right, and right when steered left. Found out as soon as I got it off the trailer after replacing the cable....
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X