Thread: Rookie mistakes

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    approaching courtesy dock too fast

2. Member
    Drove to lake with trailer jack in down position. Somehow, nothing damaged.
    Hitting the dock too hard.
    Running with trolling motor down.
    Couldn't get trolling motor working. Later remembered there's an on/off switch on the pedal.
    Got line tangled in trolling motor. Reached down to untangle and did a nose dive into the lake. Good lesson on how to climb in.

3. Member

What happened.

Didn't see this but wish i did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    Trying to start the motor without the kill switch in and cursing for 30 mins
    2013 Skeeter ZX20, 250 SHO
    26 pitch Turbo FXP

Ouch!
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoney View Post
    First day - forgot to lock the jack when unhitching trailer. Broke 3 toes when it dropped.
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

Quote Originally Posted by eliteangler View Post
    Replaced steering cable on my first outboard years ago. Problem was, I put the cable in backwards and the boat would go left when steered right, and right when steered left. Found out as soon as I got it off the trailer after replacing the cable....
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V

Now that is funny!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V

8. Member
    Never tarp your boat with the trolling motor plugged in and the switch in the on position. Years ago I was fishing at Broken Bow Lake. It was a three day trip. We finished day one and were expecting thunderstorms that night. We had heavy rains which weighted the tarp down and engaged the foot switch on the trolling motor foot pedal. Needles to say it burned up the trolling motor and damaged the tarp.

9. Member
    We were fishing a tournament. At the end of the tournament my then about 12 year old son was loading the boat. I went to the the truck. In the mean time a truck the same color as mine backed down the ramp and my son put my boat on that trailer. The guy pulled up the ramp. Neither one realized what had happened until the guy got out of the truck. I saw what was happening, but was too far away to stop it. Just stood there laughing my ass off. We all got a good laugh except my son. He was sooooo embarrassed.

10. Member
    I don't understand why some choose to solo launch using the rope method. Just let out some winch strap, back the boat in until the stern floats up a couple inches, get in boat, undo winch, back boat off trailer.....

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adurbin View Post
    I don't understand why some choose to solo launch using the rope method. Just let out some winch strap, back the boat in until the stern floats up a couple inches, get in boat, undo winch, back boat off trailer.....
    Because you don't have to get in the boat with the rope. Much faster and easier.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by Merc 200 View Post
    We were fishing a tournament. At the end of the tournament my then about 12 year old son was loading the boat. I went to the the truck. In the mean time a truck the same color as mine backed down the ramp and my son put my boat on that trailer. The guy pulled up the ramp. Neither one realized what had happened until the guy got out of the truck. I saw what was happening, but was too far away to stop it. Just stood there laughing my ass off. We all got a good laugh except my son. He was sooooo embarrassed.
    Awesome!
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc 200 View Post
    That is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Because you don't have to get in the boat with the rope. Much faster and easier.
    Tried both. Actually think it’s quicker to just loosen the strap and then crawl in the boat. You do have to back in close to the dock which you don’t have to do with the rope method. The problem I have with the rope method is corralling the rear of the boat at the dock if there is any wind or current pushing away from the dock.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

15. Member
    Left rear trailer straps on and couldn't figure out why the boat wouldn't come off the trailer.

Got in a hurry with the kids and put the plug in the livewell drain instead of bilge drain -"daddy, there's a lot of water back here."

Thought I had a battery problem when motor wouldn't start. Just as that feeling of dread started to seep in, I realized that I left it slightly in gear...

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adurbin View Post
    A lot of our launches here are pretty flat and you have to get the truck tires wet to get the boat deep enough to float it.

Also, my boat has a stepped hull and the bunks are stepped as well so it won't just power off.

The rope method works awesome. i wish I had known about it a long time ago.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    A lot of our launches here are pretty flat and you have to get the truck tires wet to get the boat deep enough to float it.

Also, my boat has a stepped hull and the bunks are stepped as well so it won't just power off.

The rope method works awesome. i wish I had known about it a long time ago.
    The rope method is faster as well. I can have a boat tied to the dock and be back in the truck before I'd be parked at the dock. It's great for a boat you are confident will start.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrank View Post
    The rope method is faster as well. I can have a boat tied to the dock and be back in the truck before I'd be parked at the dock. It's great for a boat you are confident will start.
    Do you tie off the stern or just tie the bow hooked rope to the dock?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Do you tie off the stern or just tie the bow hooked rope to the dock?
    I use a 25ft rope with a built in loop. The loop goes in the winch strap clip. The other end gets tied to the front cleat and draped across the deck so it will pull off cleanly. When the boat drops off the trailer I just stop the truck and let it bounce against the rope then pull forward a bit so I can grab it while keeping dry. Then I walk the boat to the dock. Just make sure that you keep the trailer in the water enough so the hull hits the bunks and roller rather than the metal cross member. I have never had that issue.

20. Member
    This video shows it. Not the best, but you'll get the idea.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast