Thread: Rookie mistakes

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    My favorite was not something I did. Read about this years ago, maybe in bass and walleye boats or something.

Two noobs pull up, back down the ramp, one gets in and the other backs the thing up. Guy in boat cranks engine but it won't back off trailer (rear straps still attached). He motions to the other guy to do something, so he did. He disconnected the trailer. But it was low enough that the guy in boat didn't notice. Guy cranks boat, backs up and goes to dock. Never looked at the truck which now had no trailer attached. They both get in, pull away, hammer it and they are going about 5mph. Can't figure out why it won't go. They finally give up and one gets out to go back down the ramp to load the boat. Yells "someone stole our trailer". Eventually someone points out that their boat is sitting awfully low in the water and appears to have something hung on it. Namely the trailer.

I assume it was a true story but it does sound quite ridiculous.

2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

3. Member
    Nice find. Probably at WOT right there. :)

When you see someone do that, you KNOW that it can't end well, and that there is a probability that someone 100% innocent will be involved in something stupid with people like that on the water.

Thank you guys! I pick up my new Xpress on the 28th and it's the first "real" boat I've owned!
    Old Retarded Jarhead
    Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by tmoney View Post
    I seem to keep taking off with the trolling motor down. That's a great way to get a free shower
    I did this the other, it was so foggy that vis was maybe 50' so idle out to main lake was going to get just up on plane for a few minutes, hit the gas and instant down pour.... yes I'm genius
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

6. Member
    If you haven't done that, you are either (a) not fishing very often or (b) world's biggest liar. :)

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    If you haven't done that, you are either (a) not fishing very often or (b) world's biggest liar. :)

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

OR (c) you will eventually

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

9. Member
    Left my DAMN electronics at home, what a dumb ass mistake.

10. Member
    Back boat in water, as I'm in the boat unloading off trailer I see my truck reverse lights on. Luckily had parking brake on. Put a nice custom made jack plate cover on, went fishing the next day trim motor up to take off transom saver, busted both steering lines on jack plate cover. Motor flopping around all over the place lol. Ended up cutting two pieces of emt conduit and wedging the two pieces in to support the motor for the 1 hour ride back home.

11. Member
    My favorite was not something I did. Read about this years ago, maybe in bass and walleye boats or something.

Two noobs pull up, back down the ramp, one gets in and the other backs the thing up. Guy in boat cranks engine but it won't back off trailer (rear straps still attached). He motions to the other guy to do something, so he did. He disconnected the trailer. But it was low enough that the guy in boat didn't notice. Guy cranks boat, backs up and goes to dock. Never looked at the truck which now had no trailer attached. They both get in, pull away, hammer it and they are going about 5mph. Can't figure out why it won't go. They finally give up and one gets out to go back down the ramp to load the boat. Yells "someone stole our trailer". Eventually someone points out that their boat is sitting awfully low in the water and appears to have something hung on it. Namely the trailer.

I assume it was a true story but it does sound quite ridiculous.
    No that's funny!!

12. Member
    First day out with my 2008 Ranger Z520. I was driving 52mph and a small cabin cruiser cut in front of me. 2' wake sent me, my buddy and the boat about 12' in the air. Boat slammed down so hard my front unit (Hummingbird 1197) shot up in the air. I thought, I destroyed the boat. But, only the unit. Cost me $700 to get new guts put in it through Hummingbird. Got a new 1 year warranty though.

Tried to load the boat with trolling motor still down

14. Member
    Did something about a month ago that I would have never done in the past. I fish alone a lot and have the Easy Step ladder on my trailer for easy boarding and unloading. When fishing alone I let the boat float off the trailer after hooking up a floating rope the the front of the boat and to the ladder, pull the boat back up to the ramp after floating off, get the rope and tie the boat off to the dock. That morning for some reason the rope came off the ladder and the boat was floating away. There was no vehicles or people in the parking lot or on the lake. So with the boat about 6-8ft from the dock I jumped onto the front deck. I had to make sure to land on the deck because I can't swim.

That is without a doubt the dumbest thing (besides getting married) I have ever done.
    Rocket

15. Member
    Had a buddy take his truck and boat to lake. Backed down the ramp. Set the brake, got out and into the bed of the truck to move to the boat. For whatever reason, the brake disengaged and the whole rig headed into the lake. By the time it stopped he was standing on top of the cab of the truck which was about 3 inches under water with the boat trying to float up behind the truck. He appeared to be standing on top of the water like Jesus or Bear Bryant, take your pick.

16. Member
    I learned not to leave a trailer detached near a steep embankment that leads into a river.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

Quote Originally Posted by magnumb View Post
    I learned not to leave a trailer detached near a steep embankment that leads into a river.

Oops!

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Alone, I launched the boat at a boat ramp located just below the dam. The river level was low at the time and the ramp had about 12 inches of sand from a previous flood on the last 15 or 20 feet of concrete before getting to the water.. Didn't have a problem backing over the sand and getting the boat launched but when I tried to pull out of the ramp the rear tires sank into the sand and I was stuck... While trying to dig myself out, they opened the flood gates on the dam and the water was rising in a hurry. I was the only boat at the ramp so I ended up running a couple of miles to get help. Luckily, I found a house and the owner had a wrecker. By the time we got back to the ramp the water was at the front wheels.

Took my new bass boat to the Gulf of Mexico once to get in on a redfish run.. I anchored near some jetties in the pass. BIG MISTAKE. The wake from the first charter boat leaving the pass came over the bow and filled the boat. It took the bilge pump running and two people bailing as fast as we could by hand to keep it floating.
    04 Sea Pro SV2100cc w/ Suzuki DF150
    02 Scout 162 Sportfisher w/ Yamaha 60

First time out with new boat didn't tilt motor up when pulling out and drag sket up the ramp
    2016 Skeeter Tzx190 Yamaha 175 SHO

got a new one to go with my blown tire story. (when do you no longer become a rookie and make these mistakes?) Anyways drove to a lake an hour away. got to the ramp, launched and ready to go! motor will not crank. Me and my Dad look and work on it for almost an hour and nothing. We fish a while near the ramp, but I am to angry to focus so we load it back up and while I was getting everything out of the boat it hit me.... My life jacket along with the kill switch was gone. I had left my life jacket under the console and it had blown out during the drive.

another one to go along with skeeter03 above. had boat in driveway doing a full wash and wax. had it backed all the way to where the motor and drain plug where in the grass. with the motor trimmed down as far as it would go. after it had sunned and dried i hooked it back up to the truck so I could put her in the garage and didn't raise the motor. went about 6 feet before I stopped. didn't seem to hurt anything except for a scrap in the concrete.
    2001 Triton TR176DC, Mercury 125hp, Lowrance HDS9 gen3 & HDS7 gen2

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast