Thread: Rookie mistakes

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Forgot to unplug charger early one morning and got to the ramp and had half the ext cord draggin' behind the boat.
    Did not install plug...
    Left straps hooked up...
    Launching by myself and forgot to hook rope to bow and boat drifted off and out with no one aboard.
    Started motor in up position
    that's all..for now

2. Member
    On several occasions I have disengaged the winch to back out about a foot of strap so I can float the boat when launching by myself and have forgotten to re-engage the winch. I leave my windows down when launching and know when I hear that long run of high speed "click-click-click-click" with the winch handle spinning exactly what I have done. Only damage is to my pride when others are there at the ramp with me (even though I'll bet they have done the same thing).

Took my new to me boat out for the first running of the 1994 Merc 25hp. I had fished electric only lakes since I bought it last October. I get the boat launched and she fires right up! I head out slowly letting her warm up a bit and then make a few 3 mile runs up and down the creek. I then decided to get brave and go about five miles away from the ramp. As I'm headed back, I round a point and the motor cuts off. At this point the wind is picking up and it's getting choppy so I'm trying to get her started but she won't catch fire. Finally out of fear I drop my back trolling motor (left on in case motor died LOL) and start heading the last 2 miles back to the ramp. After 10 minutes it doesn't seem like I'm getting anywhere so I drop the front trolling motor and finally after an hour make it back. I put the boat back on the trailer and as I'm hooking the transom straps up I see the fuel line disconnected from the motor.
    Somehow this past Saturday, the same thing happened but I figured it out in seconds!

4. Member
    First time I took my dog out with me I heard a splash, looked around to see my dog swimming to shore. By the time I got to him he was crapping in someone's yard lol. He jumped back in the water swam back to the boat and looked at me with a look of pride lol. Had to make sure to give him a milk bone for that
    Brandon Stephens
    2001 Champion 171 DC with 2017 Suzuki 140, Motorguide xi5, Lowrance Elite 7 ti's

5. Member
    Walked down to dock to take the boat out, lower the lift then remember I need keys for the boat that are setting on kitchen counter 3 hours away.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakalong View Post
    Walked down to dock to take the boat out, lower the lift then remember I need keys for the boat that are setting on kitchen counter 3 hours away.
    Keep a set hidden in the boat, for this reason.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

7. Member
    Normally both sets of keys would be at the lake, but for whatever reason that wasn't the case this time.

8. Member

I've done that. Fished TM only, like I did it on purpose. :D

Keep an extra set of keys for your boat, in the truck and an extra set of keys for your truck, in your boat. Don't ask!!

10. Member
    Wife never launched a boat before. Was teaching her yesterday and she drove up the ramp and 100yds to park with the parking brake one he whole time. She was curious why it was driving funny.

I've owned my own boats for over 20 years so I'm no novice but still make the dumbest mistakes sometimes. Recently I filled both tanks and switched from the one I had been running on to the other. Next time out, I idled about 100 yards and the engine died. Could not get it to start again. Fished the morning on the trolling motor and put it back on the trailer. Got home and was getting it ready to go to the shop. Something caught my eye......the gas tank selector switch didn't look right. It was turn "OFF" instead of to the other tank. So essentially I had run out of gas even though I had 52 gallons on board. Glad I found that before going to the shop.

Jim Ebarb
    Many, LA (Toledo Bend Lake)
    2004 BassCat Cougar/ 225 Optimax

Humminbird Helix 12 Mega SI on Ram Mount and Lowrance HDS 8 in dash at console
    Humminbird Helix 12 Mega DI on Balzout mount and Lowrance HDS 7 at the bow

12. Member
    Ive already contributed once, but thought id share something recent. Went fishing in favorite hole on a rainy day, alone. Got to the main spot before it started really coming down. Fished 4 to 5 hours on trolling motor before rain slowed enough to motor to the next area. Boat would only go about 6mph. WTF up and down !!!!!!!! Did i smash the prop on something ?????? As i shut it down to go back and tilt up and have a look i noticed the back of the boat was filled with water. My bilge pump is manual. Took a while to pump it out.

13. Member
    About a month ago, I launched at the Guntersville Dam for the first time. It has a very steep ramp, but I launched the boat just fine and got it back on the trailer just fine. As I finished securing the boat to the trailer, I thought "Hell, that was easy". Then as I went to walk up the ramp I hit a wet mossy patch and face planted right there on the ramp and slid all the way into the water.

14. Member
    I seem to keep taking off with the trolling motor down. That's a great way to get a free shower

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

15. Member
    The other day I was in a rush to launch the boat in destin, fl.
    I launched it and tied it up to the dock. I was pulling the truck and trailer to the parking area, and as soon as I put the truck I thought to my self "...oh no..."
    Ran to the boat and realized I forgot to plug it. completely soaked the bilge area almost up to the battery with salt water.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

16. Member
    Was out on the lake today. Sat down, fired up the outboard, clipped on the kill switch, grabbed my yeti from the cup holder and enjoyed some coffee while letting her idle for a minute. Put my coffee back down, and she died. Just cut right out from under her, no stumbling, nothing. Crank. Nothing. Craaaaaaaank, nothing. After 4 or 5 minutes of trying to get her started, I noticed I bumped the kill switch with my yeti. What a Shitty location for a cup holder. The other dozen or so bass boats within earshot certainly got a laugh (there was a tournament today).

At least I know the kill switch works.

Iv done somthing similar. At least I was in my garage though.

Anyways i guess I disconnected my kill switch. I turned my motor over and noticed no beep. Did it a few times.

I check all breakers, fuses and batteries. Took me about 45 mins to think to check my kill switch.

Im not a rookie. Iv been boating for about 20 years lol

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

HOp out of boat with bow toe rope NOT connected bow and push boat away from dock with a 15 mph wind blowing boat away from dock and have to swim to get boat.......in 60 degree water.

19. Member
    I set out on a cool November day with my new express x18 , Went through my checklist , put the plug in and launched. I was idling out of the creek and when I got almost to the end I noticed my feet were wet. I then realized the plug was t in , but it was ... I put it in the livewell drain.
    I have since ordered a flo-rite automatic drain plug.

My first year with a boat. This thread helped me avoid a few things, but I still have a list to contribute. My rookie year mistakes:
    - first trip out, read the gas gauge with the key off and thought I had half a tank, launched and realized it was empty. Beached and ran to the gas station, 5 gallon plastic gas can cost more than the 5 gallons of gas

- after fishing on the TM for a bit, took off on the big motor and wondered why I was getting splashed -TM was down. Good thing it was a 10 mph max lake!

- a bunch of little things around learning the electronics, nothing major just learning curve items like not having an SD card in and not being able to save a waypoint - when record an image is on it won't mark a waypoint without the SD card

- oh, and hit something in 4fow that cost me a new prop and LU. Thank god for insurance. Also cost me the use of the boat for all of July

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast