carbon fiber vinyl trailer wrap

iam thinking of doen the trailer in a carbon fiber look vinyl the front side and the top and bottom edge and just painting the inside flat black, anyone worked on something like this?

2. Member
    I would test it for being waterproof for submersion since the edge seam will be exposed.
    “No such thing as time travel. Only live with what you've done, and try in the future to do what you're happy to live with.”

Not a trailer, but I've got matte vinyl covering some chrome on the front of my car for the last 9 years. It's pretty chipped up now from rocks/road debris. I imagine on a trailer, that will happen a lot faster.

its not hard, easy to repair/cover
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There is NO substitute for time on the water!

5. Member
    Thats what i was thinking, i am only goen to the front edge of the fender on my ranger trailer for 25 bucks on amazon i can get enough to do the trailer many times.

I'd like to see some of this on a trailer. It's a great idea !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    I'd like to see some of this on a trailer. It's a great idea !!
    Same here. I am going to try it is a few spots this winter to see how it looks. Front of fiberglass fenders is a good spot. Maybe entire fender. Definately covering dash panels.

vvivid vinyl, you can buy directly from them, wrapped my whole boat for about $325(including helicopter tape, edge sealer and prep).

pic:

Quote Originally Posted by bkeenom View Post
    Same here. I am going to try it is a few spots this winter to see how it looks. Front of fiberglass fenders is a good spot. Maybe entire fender. Definately covering dash panels.
    It definitely looks amazing on panels!
    70_dash_done.JPG

I'm liking the idea of the trailer wrap. What kind of prep would be needed on a trailer? Spot sand rust spots to bare metal, then prime only?

FishingwithRusty - can you post some clearer pics of your boat wrap job?

was my first attempt at applying a wrap, learned a bunch. its not that hard, just remember the more you stretch the material the thinner youre stretching the adhesive on the back and the more likely it is to come loose.

13. Member
    I recently wrapped my brothers windshield. We also but a ranger logo underneath to give it a 3-d effect. I love working with vinyl. Takes a while to get the hang of but it a cool product.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benvisser View Post
    I recently wrapped my brothers windshield. We also but a ranger logo underneath to give it a 3-d effect. I love working with vinyl. Takes a while to get the hang of but it a cool product.
    What material is that? Is it 3m? That is exactly what I am preparing to do to mine.

15. Member
    It is from Avery Dennison. I have seen the 3M version and it is nice and maybe a little easier to work with but much more expensive. Most graphics shops will be able to get you whatever material you are looking for. If you are planning on making the logo raised. I used 4 layers of 2 mil vinyl stacked on top of each other. To make it easier you could go with one or two layers of 4 mil and get a similar effect.

16. Member
    That is awesome!

17. Member
    If you don't mind me asking what exactly is helicopter tape? If that picture is from your boat, it looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ebeagles View Post
    If you don't mind me asking what exactly is helicopter tape? If that picture is from your boat, it looks amazing.
    You're resurrecting a 4 year old post - sometimes you won't get a reply especially if you didn't quote whomever you are directing your question to.
    Helicopter tape is basically heavy weight clear vinyl protective film - to protect wrapped areas from rock chips (like rocker panels on cars for instance).