Thread: Water spout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Water spout

2016 RT188. I have water shooting straight up beside and on the motor to about the mercury name. I have a structure scan transducer near where its shooting up. any one else have or see this .

2. Banned
    Without seeing it I would be guessing but it sounds like the transducer is too low and causing water to spray upward like a rooster tail. If you can move it up an inch or two you might solve the problem...but if you move it up too far you will lose your depth readings while running at speed. Its a balancing act to get it where it will read the bottom without causing the water spout. I mounted mine to the bottom of my hole shot plate and it works good until I get on pad then it loses the bottom completely. Hope this helps.

The big imaging transducers are hard to get to read on plane unless they are well under the hull bottom and then they throw considerable spray. This is why many choose to mount the imaging transducer higher then the bottom to get it out of the water on plane and to protect it since they are so expensive. Then use an inexpensive high speed skimmer transducer connected to a splitter Y cable for high speed and 2d readings, leaving the imaging transducer for the 3d imaging only while off plane.

4. Member
    Took mine out for the first time this weekend, I believe it's the trim tabs doing it

5. Member
    Get you some silicone and apply it to area/gap between the transducer and hull. Let it dry for 24 hrs. Water shoots up in between that space and usually shoots right on the outboard. When the gap is filled in with silicon the water is diverted and problem solved.

Could be either one of the causes mentioned above or both. Have seen posts where guys have said the tabs create Lot of spray. But if its where the transducer is located thats a pretty good bet. Watching my cousins boat this weekend those tabs create quite a bit of spray behind the boat but its on both sides evenly.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I will try filling the gap . Dealer mounted the bracket so its as high up on the transom as its gonna go. No upward adjustment . The gap where the hinge is right at the bottom of the boat.
    Thanks for the input
    I was sure this problem was not mine alone.

8. Member
    I have a Triton X17 myself and see the spray from the tabs but it is even on both sides...

If it's a hummingbird, it should have came with a "plug" for that hole. if not, then the silicone does work ..

I would also mount a "board " to the original ducer holes and mount the ducer to the board so you can adjust if you feel the need to adjust.. That way all the different holes are in the board and not your boat :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lilduckx3 View Post
    I will try filling the gap . Dealer mounted the bracket so its as high up on the transom as its gonna go. No upward adjustment . The gap where the hinge is right at the bottom of the boat.
    Thanks for the input
    I was sure this problem was not mine alone.
    Let us know what happens after filling the gap with silicone.

10. Member
    Yep, mine sprayed on the starboard side, but I think the transducer is too low. Probly 1/4-1/2" below the bottom of the hull. Good thing is they mounted it all the way down, so I should be able to move it up to even and see what that does. If it still sprays, I'll consider silicon.
    '01 - Kirk's Mud Boat - E82 Subaru
    '16 - Ranger RT188 - Shadowgrass - 115 Yamaha SHO

"Take it easy. If it comes easy, take it twice."

Not with the RT188 -- but I had that happen on another boat and it was the transducer. As said, Humminbird includes it in the package or at one time they would give you one for free if you call them. They gave me a couple a few years ago to stop it on a boat I had. My tabs do NOT make a spray high at all and nowhere near the transom but the transducer did until I installed the plug...but that was a different boat. It is a little black rubber square plug about 1 inch square that fills the hole.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Your tabs are also not in the same position as the factory mounted tabs Panama.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Rooster Tails ??? did ya look for a stuck under boat jet ski??

won't scratch a new boat with a jet ski . look out next summer
    2016 RT 188

15. Member
    Had this problem when i installed my humminbird transducer and never got the "rooster tail plug" with it, called Humminbird and they sent it to me. There is a space or gap on the transducer mount and the water flows through it and gets deflected up into the motor. this rubber plug fits into the transducer mount and prevents water from flowing through it. Once i loosened the transducer and fit the plug into the gap, tightened the transducer back into position, the 'rooster tail" was gone. This might even be in a post somewhere here.

Reading alot of posts of guys using that rubber plug on the humminbird skimmers. I have had mine transom mounted for years and never used that plug. Never a rooster tail at all. Mine is barely skimming the surface tho so when on plane only the bottom is contacting the water as it should be setup. Water does not have to flow over the transducer for it to function.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Reading alot of posts of guys using that rubber plug on the humminbird skimmers. I have had mine transom mounted for years and never used that plug. Never a rooster tail at all. Mine is barely skimming the surface tho so when on plane only the bottom is contacting the water as it should be setup. Water does not have to flow over the transducer for it to function.
    I have an exterior mounted HB Xducer on the transom of the Cherokee listed below. Still own the boat. It shot a stream of water that looked like a water hose nozzle on the rear of the boat pointed upward. I called them and they sent me a couple of the mount rubber square plugs for free and it fixed the problem - that is why I know about them.... First hand experience.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

I moved the lowrance transducer up about 3/4" and as a temporary fix put gorilla duct tape across the opening . this cut it down but didn't get rid of it . I guess I an gonna have to live with it. Dealer said and forum members also said to silicone it shut.
    2016 RT 188

19. Member
    A "rooster rooter" is a flat piece of abs plastic that is mounted or sandwiched in between the top plate and the lower portion of the 3 in 1 ducer. It even comes with slightly longer mounting screws which will be needed. The device is rooster rooter.png made by a distributor in Australia. Its especially made for the 3 in 1 lowrance ducer. I have a RT178 and have had the same problem with a rooster tail shooting water on my cowl. I ordered the rooster rooter and will install it once it gets here. Hopefully it works as claimed.
    2013 Ranger RT178
    60Hp 4 Stroke
    55 lb thrust Minn Kota Edge
    Lowrance Hook 9/ Bow
    Lowrance Elite 5/ Console

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisplewis View Post
    A "rooster rooter" is a flat piece of abs plastic that is mounted or sandwiched in between the top plate and the lower portion of the 3 in 1 ducer. It even comes with slightly longer mounting screws which will be needed. The device is rooster rooter.png made by a distributor in Australia. Its especially made for the 3 in 1 lowrance ducer. I have a RT178 and have had the same problem with a rooster tail shooting water on my cowl. I ordered the rooster rooter and will install it once it gets here. Hopefully it works as claimed.
    Hopefully they figured it out 4 years ago when they posted the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast