Electrical Problems -- mystery fuse?????

I know electrical problems can be a pain to figure out.

I can't seem to find the cause of an electrical problem. I tracked everything back to the panel and cleaned all the terminals, wire connections, etc -- still I can't get power to several areas on my 2004 198 Ellite

The aerator and hydro works on auto but not manual.
    The 12V Accessory and interior lights also do not work.
    Everything else is fine.

Voltmeter indicates no power at the switches

I see where ther are several fuses up under the driver's console. All of those are good. None seem to be connected to the problem circuits.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there another fuse someplace that I am missing.

Modified by R1Peacock at 3:25 PM 10/23/2011
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

Re: Electrical Problems -- mystery fuse????? (R1Peacock)

Do you have rocker switches or the Mega-Link (keypad) system?

If rocker switches, there should be breakers under the console. You should also be able to trace the voltage from the main power switch to the 12v buss going to one side of all the switches.

Re: Electrical Problems -- mystery fuse????? (Tx Champ)

I have rocker switches. I just tested the switches and they seem to be working. I swapped wires to a known good breaker and the lights worked. Did the same with the hydro and it also worked. Seems like I have a few bad breakers.

Odd that multiple would go at the same time -- but everything seems to work if I realign the wires with a good breaker.

Rich
    Westminster, Maryland

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

I assume you tried resetting the breakers, or are they self healing? If the latter, you might tapping them with the tip of a screwdriver, to see if they will reset. I have a schematic for an 07 CX series, and it shows 5A breakers for the Aerator and Hydro manual switches. The Auto side conmtrol comes from the timer module which is protected by a 10A fuse in the Orange lead going to the timer.

Can I get a copy of the schematic??? I never noticed but my panel appears to have been wired backwards. The horn is the pump out, and so on. Now that I have this thing all apart I'd like to make sure its wired correctly. I've owned the boat for 8 years and I've never looked at the panel until now.

my email is r1Peacock@aol.com

Thanks.....

Rich
    Westminster, Maryland

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

E-mail on the way. I can't figure the factory wiring the boat backwards. I'm sure the wiring harness was sourced item. It could be that switches or labels got in the wrong place, but the wireing colors should be right. Might reach out to someone else with an 04 panel for pix of the switch positions.

Your schematic confirms the wire colors and breakers - just what I needed. The harness is plugged in correct. It appears my panel was wired wrong at the factory. The horn is wired to the pump out breaker , the bilge is wired to the livewell, the 12v rec is wired to the wrong breaker as well. I never had a problem til now.

Thanks again -- buying all new breakers tomorrow and rewiring (a $60 fix for parts)......

Rich
    Westminster, Maryland

8. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Everything was wired wrong but you did not have a problem till now? Did you not have to use any of the functions previously?

Re: Electrical Problems -- mystery fuse????? (Lea)

Lea,

I know it sounds impossible but the wires connected at the panel are different than what the schematic and testing shows. The switches are wired correctly but the panel is not. For instance the horn is an orange and white wire conected to the "pump out" breaker. The aerator and hydro wires are connected to the bilge 1 and bilge 2 breakers the end main and ACC are reversed also.

I found this out because I have 2 breakers that went bad. Everything has worked up til now with no problem.

Rich
    Westminster, Maryland

10. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

That is too weird, but glad you have it all figured out now.

11. Member
    I am also having issues with the wiring on our 2006 champion can you please send me the schematics also?
    Fluttabye@yahoo.com
    Thank you!

12. Member
    I'm having a similar issue. Can you please send me the schematics as well?
    Fluttabye@yahoo.com
    Thank you!!

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fluttabye View Post
    I am also having issues with the wiring on our 2006 champion can you please send me the schematics also?
    Fluttabye@yahoo.com
    Thank you!
    Jennifer, it's best to always start a new thread that'll be dedicated to your particular issue. What model is your 06 and what is the issue.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Jennifer, it's best to always start a new thread that'll be dedicated to your particular issue. What model is your 06 and what is the issue.
    Sorry I am completely new to this. I was expecting a notification alert if someone responded but I did not get one. I have a 2006 Sea Champ. I am trying to see what should be wired to the first rocker switch. I can no longer read the switch but believe it said "Power". However, the only wire on the switch is the ground. There isn't even an orange power wire from the breaker. Also, the Lowrance was not working so I replaced it with a Garmin and I am trying to figure out which rocker to put it on (I do not know which rocker this was on because someone had already pulled the wires off). Is the accessory switch the best option?
    Last edited by fluttabye; 07-11-2021 at 06:03 PM.

15. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I don't have any diagrams for the bay boats. Can you post some pictures of your switch panel? Front and back if you can get to the back. Can you identify the power breaker? If so where do the wires go? Did the previous owner put a power switch somewhere else? If you can't post pix, email them to me at txchamp@suddenlink.net. I'll se what I can do to help you out.

16. Member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    I don't have any diagrams for the bay boats. Can you post some pictures of your switch panel? Front and back if you can get to the back. Can you identify the power breaker? If so where do the wires go? Did the previous owner put a power switch somewhere else? If you can't post pix, email them to me at txchamp@suddenlink.net. I'll se what I can do to help you out.
    Here are pics of the switch panel. I labeled the rockers with what I think they were originally. I am ordering new covers once I am certain this is accurate. Also, I pulled the first rocker, the cover was melted and only had a ground wire on it. Thank you!!

I believe the order from Left to Right is
    Rocker Breaker
    Horn 10
    Pump out 5
    Baitwell 5
    Bilge 15
    Acc 15
    Nav lts 10
    Cockpit lts 5
    Inst lts 5
    Power 30

17. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fluttabye View Post
    Sorry I am completely new to this. I was expecting a notification alert if someone responded but I did not get one. I have a 2006 Sea Champ. I am trying to see what should be wired to the first rocker switch. I can no longer read the switch but believe it said "Power". However, the only wire on the switch is the ground. There isn't even an orange power wire from the breaker. Also, the Lowrance was not working so I replaced it with a Garmin and I am trying to figure out which rocker to put it on (I do not know which rocker this was on because someone had already pulled the wires off). Is the accessory switch the best option?
    I wouldn't expect any of the other switches to work if the power switch doesn't work. In the bass boat world, it supplits power to the rest. There would be a red wire from the battery to the source side of the breaker and either red or orange wire from the breaker to the Power switch. Coming off the power switch would be an orange wire going to the power side of the other switches. Like I said, this is how a bass boat would be. I did find a YouTube video of a 2006 22 Sea Champ. The switches start at 5 min, with the Power switch being on the far left.

18. Member
    I sent you an email. I tried respond on here but it said it was being reviewed. I will try to post it again-

Thank you for your help. I removed the first switch because it was bad (the only wire was the ground). I labeled them like I believed they were originally. I will be replacing all the rocker covers once I know for sure.

I believe the switches should be as listed below L-R
    Rocker Breaker
    Horn 10
    Pump out 5
    Baitwell 5
    Bilge 15
    Acc 15
    Nav lts 10
    Cockpit lts 5
    Inst lts 5
    Power 30

Thank you again,
    Jennifer
    The boat in the video has a panel that is not like mine. 0712211637.jpg0712211637.jpg0712211635_HDR.jpg0712211636_HDR.jpg0705211327.jpg0705211327.jpg0702211048a.jpg0702211048a.jpg

19. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    This is a bit odd. I have not seen any posts in this forum which required review.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    This is a bit odd. I have not seen any posts in this forum which required review.
    Probably something I did. No worries. It is posted now.