Question Removing side panel in Skeeter SL180

I'm trying to remove my side panels so I can access the nut that holds the stainless grab rails, but can figure out how to get this dark grey pad off. There are screws on the light grey part that I removed, but I can feel around the back that there are more screws sticking out behind this padding. I don't want to break anything by yanking on it, but can't figure out how they put it on. I need to get the rails off to replace the rubber washers that have deteriorated. I know it's a long shot, but anyone have any advice? Thanks!
    20150914_184055_resized_2.jpg20150914_185512_resized_1.jpg

Jason Bonaventure
    2006 Skeeter SL180
    2006 Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

2. Member
    my guess would be that the screws are under those dark grey panels, they probably have clips or tabs holding those vinyl pads on then you can access screws. if it isnt screwed on it is clipped generally when dissabling plastic panels. worst case they are glued and gentle prying will free them. so long as you dont cut visible edge of vinyl it should go back on un noticed. even prying vinyl panel up and spraying ahesive remover may work
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

3. Member
    Make sure you put the pads back up. On my old sl190 I had no pads and both of our cats made a home in the boat under floor. took two days to come out. Had to move the boat to storage after that...

4. Member
    Anybody have an update on this? I have the same problem.

5. Member
    See if the screw heads are in the seam. I just took off all of the side panels on my Champion 21sx as after 16 years the vinyl was getting bad and I was tire of cleaning it. Some of the screws were right in seems like on yours. Good thing for me is that the side panels rested on top of the floor which runs right to the side of the hull so no having to worry about my cats

6. Member
    Finally got up to the lake cabin to look at this on my boat. Those vinyl pads have a wood backer. There are machine screws (three) sticking out the back of the wood and through the light gray part. There are nuts on the backside of the light gray part. Remove those three nuts (3/8" socket) and the panel easily pops off. There is a wood/fiberglass screw through the light gray part into fiberglass near each of the nuts. Where you feel a screw they are in pairs, one with a nut and one without.

The biggest problem I had is removing the carpeted strip that clamps the bottom of the light gray part in place. I found one screw embedded in the carpet under the speaker. Its amazing how they disappear into the carpet. I never found the one ~12" forward. Just the one removed allowed me just enough room to get to the access hole for the aft nut on that grab bar.

Note that if you flex that light gray part it doesn't take much to cause the holes for the upper screws to tear out at 12 o'clock. I tore two, but they don't look too bad with it screwed back in place.

I didn't get to doing the driver's side yet, but expect it to be even more fun since the throttle is mounted to this pad and there's a lot more wire/cabling routing down that side of the boat. The good news is that the front bars were really easy. I got 6 of the 8 deteriorating washers replaced.