98 Skeeter Trailer Help

Hey everyone, new to the page but I think this is my best bet.
    Driving home on labor day a bearing went out on the trailer. I have since got it in the garage, jacked it up and have removed the tire and hub. Now I am worried about the axle being scored. Does anyone know the sizes of axle/hub to get new and where those could be purchased? I hope I'm not in over my head here...
    Thanks in advance

2. Member
    If the axle is scored you can still use it. All it does is hold the inner races. A roller bearing works best if the inner races are held stationary. If you get some coarse belt sandpaper and polish it up like you would be shining a shoe (which nobody does) and remove excess material, and there's enough axle left to hold the inner race, lots of really ugly axles will still work.
    There are also sleeves available to renew the seal surface.
    What you want is to slide the races on, without excessive force, and without excessive slop so they don't wriggle around. I'm not saying this will work, but I'm a cheapskate and unless the axle has deep gouges, or is scored blue, I'd see if it was usable before I'd order a new one.
    All that said, changing an axle isn't that hard if you have an impact wrench, some penetrating oil and new hanger clamps.

3. Member
    Oh yeah, have you checked the other side lately?