Thread: Fire!!!!

Banned

Fire!!!!

Long story short, on the way home from a tournament yesterday (rained all day) buddy following me calls and says man it looks like your console is smoking. i get to the house and notice the smoke immediately. i dive under the dash to see a pile of smoke up under neath the dash. I open the back battery compartment to see nothing but a wall of smoke. I start feeling around and notice the two wires running to accessory 1 switch were smoldering. The wires ran from my power pole lights up to the lights rigged under my console and into the access 1 button. the panel was off. Somehow the access 1 switch shorted out or the panel shorted and did not kick a breaker and it smoldered the wires all the back to the power poles. melted my hydraulic steering cables and who knows what inside the gunnel. the gunnel was hot to touch on the back starboard side, so I'm sure the wires inside the pvc pipe are a mess. Looks like a total rewire job and new steering cables. been on the phone with ranger today and they agreed it should've never gotten to that point and the panel should kicked a breaker. the way i see it, the panel was dead and should've never had power to the button anyhow. i don't use the lights, so they lights weren't on. what a mess….suppose to leave for erie on monday, doesn't look like I'm taking my boat thankfully it wasn't worse with the hydraulic lines and the fuel lines being close by.

2. Member
    Wow thats crazy. Glad it wasn't worse.
    2012 Ranger Z520
    2012 Mercury 250ProXS

3. Moderator
    dang man. Hate that for ya.

4. Banned
    Wow...keep us posted on the final outcome. Are you taking it back to Ranger?

5. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    You posted the console was "off" and it was "dead". So before trailering, had you turned off the main breaker switch located by the battery killing battery power to the console?

Reason for asking is turning off the main breaker switch is one and only way some Ranger consoles are fully powered off....otherwise, though they may show no console panel lights, parts of their electronics remain very much live and console is only in SLEEP mode.

If the power creating the fire had come from the Ranger accessory bus and exceeded 5 amp, the overload protection should have protected the wiring "if" it were sized to handle 5 amps. You might want to investigate the likelihood that the power causing the fire came elsewhere....a nicked wire in the Power Pole light circuit being rubbed while trailering and contacting a battery powered wire.....was the feed to the Power Pole itself forgotten and left live during trailering?
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 09-11-2015 at 02:27 PM.

6. Banned
    no clue, I'm trying to get it into a dealer. right now jet a is the only ones that have stepped up but they are 6hrs away.
    lou,
    the only power that was off was the panel itself, in the future i will for sure turn the knob to "off" in the back of the boat. I knew that switch was back there but i thought it was just a switch to jump the batteries, i had no idea it was also a main power killer. as for the investigation, I've looked all i can without tearing into it. it def. started at the access 1 button up in the console and worked its way back toward the power poles. other than that, one dealer mentioned it could've damaged some foam inside the gunnel and it having to go back to ranger. we will see. when i spoke with ranger, they agreed it should've never happened and the breaker should've tripped on the panel.

7. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    For the Ranger console to be responsible for the fire, seems three separate failures would have had to occur at once......

1) the console electronics without being touched, powered itself and its' Accessory buss ON while trailering, then
    2) a direct short to ground then occurred on the Accessory output positive wire,
    3) then the built in Ranger accessory overload breaker failed to activate seeing a unusual high amp load.

More plausible is that poor rigging of the added ground wire suppling the Power Pole light circuit sometime during trailering simply contacted a left on high amp power wire/connection within the boat. The wire heated and melted the insulation and nearby surfaces.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 09-11-2015 at 04:07 PM.

8. Member
    Regardless if the main power was off or not there was a problem...had the main power been off there was still a problem and it likely would have happened when you were at Erie. Thank goodness it happened on the way home and not when you were out on pelee island.

9. Member
    Wow! Glad it wasn't worse for you...good luck with the repair.

2002 Ranger 175VS - Mercury 125
    2006 Ranger Z20 - Mercury 225
    2008 Ranger TR-177 - Mercury 115
    1987 Ranger 350V - Mercury 150
    2010 Ranger Z521 - Mercury 250
    2012 Ranger Z518 - Mercury 200
    2015 Ranger Z521C - Mercury 250 ProXS
    1993 Ranger 481V - Mercury 175 ProXS
    2018 Ranger Z519 - Mercury 225 ProXS
    2020 Ranger RB190 - Mercury 115 ProXS

10. Banned
    dayuum!!!!!! CLOSE call man!!!!!

hope it is resolved and if you go to jet A you are in a class A shop for repair!!!

Not that it matters..but as soon as I get out of the water I kill the TM breaker, turn my main power switch to OFF, and turn off the keypad as well. to be honest I am not sure why I started to do this, but I just have.

man...that could have been even worse news.....

11. Banned
    Carlos, I will from now on! Without a doubt

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jseasor View Post
    buddy following me calls and says man it looks like your console is smoking. i get to the house and notice the smoke immediately.
    I hope it wasn't a long drive between the warning call that your boat may be on fire, and your house.
    I couldn't help but ask.

13. Banned
    Haha. No. A min or two

14. Member
    had several rangers , never did all that powering down and no problems. sure im not the only one

Now I'm getting gun shy, leaving my boat in the house garage!
    It did cross my mind before this post came out.
    2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos H View Post
    dayuum!!!!!! CLOSE call man!!!!!

hope it is resolved and if you go to jet A you are in a class A shop for repair!!!

Not that it matters..but as soon as I get out of the water I kill the TM breaker, turn my main power switch to OFF, and turn off the keypad as well. to be honest I am not sure why I started to do this, but I just have.

man...that could have been even worse news.....
    DITTO !!!!!! Always have and always will !!
    "Larry, Get the Net!!!!!"

http://www.mareinc.com/

17. Banned
    I fish too much with Carlos......EVERYTHING is shut down in my boat. We installed a heavy duty plug for the TM and even that gets unplugged when it hits the trailer.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC View Post
    I fish too much with Carlos......EVERYTHING is shut down in my boat. We installed a heavy duty plug for the TM and even that gets unplugged when it hits the trailer.
    Though I don't fish with Carlos, everything else applies. I usually check the main breaker twice. I had an engine fire once, voltage regulator failure, but what OP is describing is a lot worse.

19. Banned
    UPDATE:: boat is headed back to Ranger after being at Dealer for two weeks. Hopefully this situation is resolved down there. Not sure ranger is really wanting to take ownership on this, but i sure am hoping. Scott Riggs has been awesome to work with at ranger
    during this process, guys like him are why i own a ranger. It should be at the factory by October 5th as I am meeting a buddy half way and hes taking it the rest of the way for me. hopefully they take care of the problem and all is fixed.

20. Member
    Good luck and keep us updated.