Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    is it odd to have to be at 4.5 or so under with a johnson? I know someone said above they run deeper. i know should be gettting at least 65 out of this girl if i could get it in the right rpm range without cavitation.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Is it odd I may need to be 4.5 or so under? I know mdtritn said above that johnsons run deeper then mercs or yamahas. i know this should get 65 if i could get her to 5800 or so without cavitation.

3. Member
    Sounds like you have a prop problem. Send the prop to Mark with a letter explaining what's happening and have him check it and repair and/or tweak it.

4. Member
    Did you run it after you lowered the motor? What you said in post #20 was with motor set at 3 1/2" under you had a high rooster tail and blow out coming out of the hole. The tail is a sign of motor too high along with the blow out at take off. Try it at 4 1/2" under then start raising it 1/4" at a time until you gain rpms but not speed, lose water pressure or bow lift. Then drop it 1/4" and run it. If it's still blowing out on take off the Raker may have been worked and screwed up so you may need a different prop.

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Going to drop it down to 4.5 today and going out to run it tomm. Is it odd if it has to sty at 4.5 or 4 1/4 under being its a OMC? I wonder about the Raker, i have the renegade as well to throw on and try.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Ok so ran it today at 4.5 under with the 25 renegade had noticeable bow lift running much further back on pad. Best Gps was 61 at 5900rpm 20 psi water pressure so i picked up 6mph going from 55 to 61. Still think she should be 65 plus with this setup. Full trimed out she hits 6000 and Roostertail is bout cowl height. Didnt try the 24 Raker. Where do you all think i should go from here? I would be very happy with a solid 65 as she is loaded now. Do you think the raker will get me to 65, I appreciate everyones help up to this point.

7. Member
    Try the raker and see if it slips real bad. If it does your going to have to find a good prop guy look at the raker and see if it can be repaired or just replaced with another prop. That renegade is slipping bad but could be repaired and it might do the trick.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    What do you think could be causing it to slip.. what are my current prop slip numbers. I know you can calculate for me.

9. Member
    22% now but renegades tend to slip more than rakers. Prop could have some wear on the cup or a blade out a little. Most props are off stock just some more than others. Your definitely going in the right direction now.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I will see if I can get it out and run it with the raker and see what my numbers are not sure if this raker is any good as i bought it used looks good but looks can be deceiving. at least ill get some numbers for you hopefully and we can see what my slip is with the Raker. A solid 65 should be obtainable though right not like im asking out of the ballpark.

11. Member
    You can get close to 65 with a good prop but right now I don't think you have one that doesn't need work. Don't be surprised if the raker is screwed up even if it was repaired.

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Do you think I should go to a 26 raker.. since i can spin a 24 to 6000 or stick with a 24 and send it to Mark

If you give Mark all the info he requests of you, He can take your Raker and get you close to or where it should be optimally not necessarily where you think it should be. he will take your numbers and see what is out of whack, worn, or needs adjustment to get optimal performance .

To continue to try used, worn, unknown props is going to get you nowhere and a waste of time

I run a Ranger R80 they love a tempest. 150 optimax, 23 Tempest plus worked by Mark Croxton!!, 6" plate at 3.25 below pad 15psi. full load 2 people, powerpole, 3 batts, 60, 61 all day long. light load one guy 62, 63.

Think about it how often will you even run WOT for extended periods of time so is that extra 2, 3 MPH even significant? Most of my long runs are done at 45 to 50 mph tops. easier on the motor and much better fuel economy in the long run
    Last edited by ChobeeBassChaser; 10-24-2015 at 06:21 PM.
    2002 Pathfinder 2200V 150 Yamaha HPDI

14. Member
    You can spin a 24 Raker to 6000 because the prop is damaged or has been repaired but very poorly. I don't think you'll turn good a 26 Raker and get a decent hole shot or top end it's just too much prop for a 175. I'd get the renegade repaired and you'll be amazed what difference a good prop will make.

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    So you think send the renegade to mark and not the Raker? I havent tried to run the raker at 4.5 below yet to see what numbers speed or rpm we get

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    So you think a 25 tempest plus might be good on my set up ?

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Chobeebasschaser believe it or not I run wot throttle all the time most of the time running from 9 to 20 miles plus we are in glacier lakes so everyone runs wot all the time even if only going a mile or less. Squeezing every last mph is important as it is to alot based on this forum. Why have a boat if its not running to its full potential. Speed doesnt catch fish, but squeezing evey last mph out of your rig is enjoyable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Chobeebasschaser believe it or not I run wot throttle all the time most of the time running from 9 to 20 miles plus we are in glacier lakes so everyone runs wot all the time even if only going a mile or less. Squeezing every last mph is important as it is to alot based on this forum. Why have a boat if its not running to its full potential. Speed doesnt catch fish, but squeezing evey last mph out of your rig is enjoyable as well.
    I do not have any experience with Renegade or Raker props. But I do know many threads with R series hull top speed prop generally recommended Tempest plus. I run a 150 opti and 23P tempest plus. if you could obtain a 25P tempest plus to try and then have mark Tweek with the numbers you give him you would probably be happy. But he may be able to do similar with your Raker or Renegade but call him or PM him with numbers and he can make a very informed recommendation for you.
    2002 Pathfinder 2200V 150 Yamaha HPDI

19. Member
    Did you try to run the 24 Raker again just to get some numbers. Most rangers will run better with a three blade but the one you have doesn't seem to be in very good condition but before you have anything done to it you need to see how bad it really is now that you have the boat running decent.

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    havent run yet..our nearest lake to run it is 1.5 hours away hope to get out this week and try the Raker. will let you know

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast