Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Just goes to show how much drag those 2 little tabs create thats a big difference in speed
    A big 1.5mph depending on your load. You can't feel the difference. You can only see bragging rights on a GPS.

His biggest speed increase was a prop change. The offset plate and tabs increased a combined 3mph at 1.5mph each.

I only comment on this because someone who has not read the entire thread can take your comment as a huge difference when it's not. Not for a 115 hp fishing boat. For a Bullet or Gambler speed freak who is doing everything possible to break over 90mph....sure. 1.5 is a good difference. I actually cannot feel a 1.5mph difference and our obsession with speed on this forum has recently become laughable to me. Yes.....I pushed mine and did much of what he has done to get mine to 50mph. I did. And now I am realizing that it's all in my head and not helping me with anything at all. Especially fishing. Ad long as my boat is setup correctly and rpms are in correct range, ride is good, handling is good......then I'm good. To try and push this boat to 55 is not worth voiding a warranty. Flashing ECUs is not worth a voided warranty either. That's just me. Others are okay with it and good for them that they are happy and motors are running flashed for years. My point is the speed obcession. We should all seek to setup our boats to optimize performance and longevity of our investments vs squeezing 1.5mph out of it. I can say this after doing it and being a speed seaker myself....speaking from experience here. I'm realizing it's just an obcession. Not a necessity.
    Last edited by Ozark Angler; 09-07-2015 at 11:53 AM.
    Ozark Angler
    2014 Ranger RT188

(has left the forum)

Ummm ok. If you look at the first post he said he ran 46 mph with a 21p powertech prop and engine mounted to the third hole with the tabs. After the setback plate, tab removal, and 21p laser prop he now runs 51.8. Thats a 5.8 mph gain total and he posted 2.5 mph gain from removing the tabs alone. No matter how you want to look at it drag is drag. If its enough to slow you down thats a negative to me. Im glad to see someone finally do this.
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 09-07-2015 at 01:59 PM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Member
    A 21 Powertech is not the same as a 21 Laser II.

That was my point. And the difference was 1.5mph, not 2.5. I know this from doing it myself.
    Ozark Angler
    2014 Ranger RT188

(has left the forum)

4. Banned
    Now let's hear what the performance numbers are with;

Full live well, a passenger, and ACTUAL fishing gear

I'm very curious to know. What the top speeds are? How it handles? Can you still go full trim and not porpoise? These are the real world tests people need to post and read.

BTO as far as the Power Tech props your comparing apples to Oranges. When you get time take a look at ptpropeller.com and look at the props available for your motor. They offer several different types. Most are copies of other manufacturers props. They also offer even number pitches on the more popular brands. Some may work some may not. The OST3 was great for me stock, but once I added a JP I couldn't find one to work.

Also I think that someone hit the nail on the head. By saying remove the trim tabs and install mechanical ones. They are not cheap, but may be the answer to this hull. I may consider this in the future.

I looked at Ozark Anglers pics. I'm just not going to do that. Too many scars on the hull. It's either leave them or remove them for me. Taping off the area so it doesn't get scared up and using some 1/64" bar stock as a jig. I would use a new hacksaw blade and just saw it off. SLOWLY. ALUMINUM is extremely soft and melts at a very low temp. I think Ozark got his hotter than he realizes. That's just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark Angler View Post
    A 21 Powertech is not the same as a 21 Laser II.

That was my point. And the difference was 1.5mph, not 2.5. I know this from doing it myself.
    Are you fully reading his original post #1? He clearly says that removing the tabs gained him 2.5 mph. Just because you ground on yours a little bit and only gained 1.5 doesnt make it a fact for everyone else..........
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Are you fully reading his original post #1? He clearly says that removing the tabs gained him 2.5 mph. Just because you ground on yours a little bit and only gained 1.5 doesnt make it a fact for everyone else..........
    Yes, he did say 2.5mph. I was incorrect. I know that I removed about 90% of mine and I gained 1.5mph. MAYBE 2...

Boy you sure get worked up over some minor stuff. Probably because we are discussing a Ranger boat. Of which, you are not a fan.
    Ozark Angler
    2014 Ranger RT188

(has left the forum)

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrc.in.wi View Post
    Now let's hear what the performance numbers are with;

Full live well, a passenger, and ACTUAL fishing gear
    I agree. Adding a passenger and more weight will change the outcome.

I'm not sure I know what "ACTUAL " fishing gear is though. This should cover it I hope: 4 life jackets, two sets of rain gear, spot light, extra gallon of oil, 3 batteries, net, 4 double sided worm bags (full), 6 hard bait boxes, box of jigs, box of swimbaits, box of weights, hooks and such, 12 rod/reels, cooler full of drinks and ice, snacks in the dry box, pliers, clippers, fish ruler, fish bag, 5 bouys with lead weights , 2 ropes, digital scale, socket wrench and socket for prop, misc. tool set, pistol (loaded, locked and cocked), mercury manual, lowrance manual, smartcraft manual, and bass fishing for dummies manual!

If I'm missing something, please let me know so I can add to the mix! Ha,ha.

I also agree that these are two completely different props, the powertech should have never been put on there to begin with! It was on the rig when I bought it.
    I have never been good at buying something and leaving it as it came from factory, where's the fun in that?
    All that matters to me is that I am having a blast tinkering on it, playing with different set ups, and sharing my results with the class. All that matters to me is when im finished, my end result is better than when I started!

I am still gona try a couple other things out to see what comes of it, maybe nothing , maybe something, sure beats not knowing!

Before I do, I will try it out as is and add a passenger and fill live well, as I am also curious how she does, and will post my results.
    2014 Ranger RT188, 115 Pro xs
    2001 Ranger 520 vx, 225 Rude

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark Angler View Post
    Yes, he did say 2.5mph. I was incorrect. I know that I removed about 90% of mine and I gained 1.5mph. MAYBE 2...

Boy you sure get worked up over some minor stuff. Probably because we are discussing a Ranger boat. Of which, you are not a fan.
    I dont really know where that comment is coming from? I just try to keep the facts straight and the info posted in her straight to avoid confusion you were obviously incorrect here but you post everything so matter a fact because its what you experienced and thats not always going to be what happens for everyone. I already commended him on his great setup and thinking outside of the box to get it running right. I have never said i am not a fan of Ranger boats either I think they are very nice boats. Im working on a project for my cousins Ranger for him right now as a matter a fact to help him out and make his a little nicer. I guess i am out of line for pointing out that the info you posted is incorrect? We all make mistakes thats why its good to have several eyes reading to catch them. I have gotten mine mixed up before and I have admitted and corrected them.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gonabefishin View Post
    I agree. Adding a passenger and more weight will change the outcome.

I'm not sure I know what "ACTUAL " fishing gear is though. This should cover it I hope: 4 life jackets, two sets of rain gear, spot light, extra gallon of oil, 3 batteries, net, 4 double sided worm bags (full), 6 hard bait boxes, box of jigs, box of swimbaits, box of weights, hooks and such, 12 rod/reels, cooler full of drinks and ice, snacks in the dry box, pliers, clippers, fish ruler, fish bag, 5 bouys with lead weights , 2 ropes, digital scale, socket wrench and socket for prop, misc. tool set, pistol (loaded, locked and cocked), mercury manual, lowrance manual, smartcraft manual, and bass fishing for dummies manual!

If I'm missing something, please let me know so I can add to the mix! Ha,ha.

I also agree that these are two completely different props, the powertech should have never been put on there to begin with! It was on the rig when I bought it.
    I have never been good at buying something and leaving it as it came from factory, where's the fun in that?
    All that matters to me is that I am having a blast tinkering on it, playing with different set ups, and sharing my results with the class. All that matters to me is when im finished, my end result is better than when I started!

I am still gona try a couple other things out to see what comes of it, maybe nothing , maybe something, sure beats not knowing!

Before I do, I will try it out as is and add a passenger and fill live well, as I am also curious how she does, and will post my results.
    Looking forward to reading how it goes. Your geared up to go. That's awesome.

10. Member
    What would be the difference in going from the 4" plate to 6"? I was going to put the 4" micro on mine but if its a bif difference i will go with the 6" atlas. For example would you be able to get 55 mph or so with a load with the 6"? i am running a 21 p laser, currently in break in on the 115 opti pro xs.. Before its stated i know it voids the warranty, but so does the 4" unless a dealer installs it..

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannagofast1 View Post
    What would be the difference in going from the 4" plate to 6"? I was going to put the 4" micro on mine but if its a bif difference i will go with the 6" atlas. For example would you be able to get 55 mph or so with a load with the 6"? i am running a 21 p laser, currently in break in on the 115 opti pro xs.. Before its stated i know it voids the warranty, but so does the 4" unless a dealer installs it..
    It is hard to know what the 6" would do for sure, as I have not used one myself. I would guess that it would do a bit better than the 4", especially if you plan to use a hydraulic plate. Mine is the 4" static and am touching 52 mph but consistently running 50 - 51.
    I think if you did the 6" hydraulic plate, removed trim tabs, and ran a 22p laser II, 55 would easily be achievable. I would try it first without removing the tabs, then if not what you like, remove them and go from there. You can always have them put back on if it does'nt work out for ya.

Im still tempted to Raise my motor one hole on my plate and try a 22 laser, as I am right at the edge on rpm now with my 21p. Also, I am sitting at 7" prop to pad now, which seems low to me. Before that though, i have to put a good load on mine to see what it does as is.

12. Banned
    I don't think the difference will matter enough. Maybe 100 rpms? I went with a 6" manual but I'm running a 90 hp at 320#.

Your are never going to get 55 mph with a 115 on this hull. Only a few have hit 50 mph.

13. Member
    The guy right above your post stated the he is over 50. I have seen several others that have hit over 50; may not be with loads on the boat but would the 6" give you enough to get over 50 loaded?

14. Member
    The guy right above your post stated the he is over 50. I have seen several others that have hit over 50; may not be with loads on the boat but would the 6" give you enough to get over 50 loaded?
    Does a 6" JP void the warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Does a 6" JP void the warranty?
    yes.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

16. Member
    Thought so.

17. Banned
    Ok so you empty the boat, put on a jp, cut off the trim tabs, and prop it. You get luck enough to hit 55.

Then you put all your gear back in. Take your buddy fishing and all it will do is 46-48. You can't get full trim. What was the point?

I dunno. I bought one to fish. Every number I posted were fully loaded WITH gear. I have no interest in running up and down the lake empty. It's a fishing boat.

Prop it as such. JMO.

18. Member
    MRC I am with you I bought a larger prop to account for some of the heavy weights I take on weekend trips and extra gear speed is nice but fishing is what I bought mine for. Want speed buy a hydro or a bullet want a killer fishing machine buy a Ranger RT. I would rather spend the day fishing and finding new spots and catching fish than running up and down a lake for 1-3 mpr faster that equates to a total of getting to the spot 10 - 15 sec faster on most lakes.

19. Member
    I just want all my boat can do. When we tourn fish we may hit 30 spots on the river during a day. My original post was about how much diff could one see with no plate to 4" to 6". If it will do 53 loaded thats what i want it to do, not 47. If it will only do 47 with the best set up it is what it is. If it will run 47 loaded with not mods and 52 with all the mods possible i will go the route to get best performance.

20. Member
    I just want all my boat can do. When we tourn fish we may hit 30 spots on the river during a day. My original post was about how much diff could one see with no plate to 4" to 6". If it will do 53 loaded thats what i want it to do, not 47. If it will only do 47 with the best set up it is what it is. If it will run 47 loaded with not mods and 52 with all the mods possible i will go the route to get best performance.
    I second that sir!

It's no different than buying a truck and tinting the windows, changing wheels, or any other mod. Sure, factory will get you point A to B, but it's boring!

Personally, I'm on the water 3 or 4 times a week, so spending a little time and money to squeeze a little more out of her is no big deal.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you want.
    If your happy with factory, leave it.
    If you're like me and enjoy pushing limits to gain some ground, change it!
    All that matters is that you're happy with the outcome!
    To me, if it were just about the fishing, I think everyone would be running around in a 15' Jon boat, rockin' a good ol 9.9 johnson and loving life!! .
    Last edited by gonabefishin; 09-09-2015 at 05:28 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast