Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2. Member
    Here is the boat with all necessary things removed, the transom cut and pretty much removed... The boat is ready for the top to come off. I have a question though.. How much do you think this top weighs? and do you think that 2 saw horses and a few 2x4s can hold it while I redo the transom and any other rotten areas in the lower half?? I am ready to remove the top so I can get the work done.IMG_20150830_133035684.jpgIMG_20150830_133032410.jpgIMG_20150830_133025995.jpgIMG_20150830_133018124.jpgIMG_20150830_133007680.jpgIMG_20150830_133003562.jpgIMG_20150830_132953581_HDR.jpgIMG_20150830_132951210.jpgIMG_20150830_132945838.jpg

Got your work cut out on that one, but should be fun. Off to a good start! Your sawhorse idea should work. I would definitely brace it up (the hull) once you get it off to prevent it from significant bowing. When you place the top back on, it fits like a glove.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

4. Member
    Yeah, I would agree. It will be a lot of work, but when it is done, I think it will look awesome. I will see what I can do about bracing up the hull. I was thinking I was gonna need to do that, just not quite sure the best way.

5. Banned
    looks like your off to a good start im restoring a boat myself

Not sure why you would want to restore something as deteriorated as that. Appears to be too far gone. My advise for you is, for the amount of money you are fixing to drop on that just to make it safe, you could buy a boat that is ready to go. Just giving my honest opinion, you can take it with a grain of salt. I just can't see that being worth restoring. Not trying to deter you from it but you are about to learn the real meaning of B.O.A.T....Bottom line, you are going to have more money in it than it is worth.

I'm not bashing your plan or idea. You posted it so I'm giving you my honest opinion.

7. Member
    No worries, Tacoma33.. I am restoring this boat because it really isn't as bad as it looks.. at least not to me. ALSO.. I do it because I can.... Yeah I could buy a boat that is ready to go, but that won't give me the special boat that my sons and I restored together.. My sons, daughter, and I will enjoy many fishing trips on this boat. It will be restored.. lol

8. Member
    I got the top off the boat today. This was a pain in the arse but it is done. I am going fishing tomorrow with my buddy in his HPV-165. So it looks like wednesday I start the removal of the rotten wood.. I know it has a good amount of rot.. but so what.. I just have to cut it out and re-glass in new wood.. no worries.. I will put it back together better than it was originally. I was thinking of sealing all the replacement wood with some kind of paint.. then glassing it in.. Is there any type of paint that fiberglass doesn't like? I am thinking that if I seal the wood.. then glass it in.. it will give me another level of protection..

Quote Originally Posted by bobaphat2001 View Post
    No worries, Tacoma33.. I am restoring this boat because it really isn't as bad as it looks.. at least not to me. ALSO.. I do it because I can.... Yeah I could buy a boat that is ready to go, but that won't give me the special boat that my sons and I restored together.. My sons, daughter, and I will enjoy many fishing trips on this boat. It will be restored.. lol
    Understood! Good luck with the restore.

Quote Originally Posted by bobaphat2001 View Post
    Is there any type of paint that fiberglass doesn't like? I am thinking that if I seal the wood.. then glass it in.. it will give me another level of protection..
    You only want to do this once, so do it right! Search this Restoration forum for transom repairs and read up on what others have done. Bottom line, you will want to seal the raw wood with epoxy resin, and a layer of fiberglass cloth. Resin will soak in and seal the wood for protection from water intrusion.

11. Member
    And off we go!
    “No such thing as time travel. Only live with what you've done, and try in the future to do what you're happy to live with.”

You might find this link interesting. Lots of great pics and information on the old iconic Glastron boats.
    Home - Minnesota Classic Glastron Owners Association

I've always liked the racy lines of the Glastron/Carlson boats. Anxious to see how yours turns out!

13. Member
    Can anybody point me in the right direction for replacement gas tanks? I just took mine out and it still have nasty gas in it.. and I can already see rust in the neck. So I assume It will need to be replaced. ALSO my good buddy has a 1987 HPV-165. It seems to have the original gas tank in it, but it has a tag on it that says 10 gallons. We know that is crap because he put 15 gallons in it already at it showed 3/4s on the gas gauge. Do you think he has a mislabeled 20 gallon tank?

Click on the link I posted above for the CGOAMN, then click on "Vendor Resources". About halfway down the page, there are several companies listed under "Gas & Water Tanks".

15. Member
    Thanks, CastingCall.. I will check that stuff out..

16. Member
    Well I have not done much on the bass boat in the last week or so. I just bought a 1990 Invader that was pretty much ready for the water. I had to do some wiring and some adjustments and what not, but she is in the water. I also just finished my boating course so I am now able to drive the boat. It kinda sucked to have my buddy drive it for me so I could do some tests until I got my license. Well, Back to the Bass Boat when the rain stops.

17. Member
    any idea of a guess-stimate of how much resin I might need? I seem to think that one gallon will not be enough, so I am thinking maybe 2?

18. Member
    The marine plywood has been ordered and could possibly be here on Friday. The resin, hardener, and cloth are here. The carport is over the boat with work lights installed and power run to the work area. I have my mineral spirits, throw away paint brushes, bondo spreaders, mixing containers, and 6 in roller with extra roller heads. I am ready to go
    .IMG_20150920_193252726.jpgIMG_20150920_193301520.jpgIMG_20150920_193318201.jpgIMG_20150920_193324279.jpg

The first two are the work area after dark only lit by the work lights. The second two are the work area from the front and side.

19. Member
    I have gotten a lot done on the boat in the last few days.

The front storage area has been removed, replaced with new marine plywood and had its first sheet of glass installed.

The section of the floor that is under each front seat/storage has been removed, replaced and had its first glass installed as well.

The rest of the floor has been removed and the stringers have been examined. The stringers are fine except back towards the transom which was expected.

The cross brace that is just under the driver and passenger seat has been removed and the new piece is cut.

The pieces needed to shore up the transom stringer area are cut. I need to cut a few more pieces tomorrow and then seal them all. This is coming along pretty nicely.

The car port was a great idea.

New pics added tomorrow!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast