Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

1. Member
    IMG_20151010_154204187.jpgIMG_20151010_220223560_HDR.jpgIMG_20151010_220234671.jpgIMG_20151010_220241633.jpgIMG_20151010_220739234.jpgIMG_20151010_220744582_HDR.jpgIMG_20151010_220750086_HDR.jpgIMG_20151010_220758212.jpg

I had so many pieces I needed to seal that I had to take them to my Mom's garage and seal them there, even so, I forgot the two pieces for the transom and I had to seal them tonight.

I have tried to make the best use of all the resin I mix.. as in.. I have used anything left over to coat the center floor, and the wooden sides that are original.

I had to think quick yesterday when I made some PB... I made a good amount.. and ended up having some left over.. I used it up filling in any crevices in the pieces installed.. :)

Tomorrow, hopefully... LOL I will put in my transom. I have it all planned out and I just need to finish putting together my Home made clamp for it.

Once that is in.. I will finishing glassing all the pieces in. I have done well so far guess-stimating my materials. I still have half my resin left and a good amount of fiberglass..

On a side note.. Yeah.. it is true what they say about boats being an obsession.. I now have three.. lol.. The 1978 Glastron, my 1990 Invader, and a 1960-61 Renken boat that one of my neighbors offered to me for .. wait for it.. 100 bucks... boat, trailer, and motor..all in great shape.. all cosmetic.. the only thing I need to do is make a new piece of wood to mount the ignition switch to and hook it up and see if it runs.. It all has been taken care of. Well it also needs a paint job, some carpet and new seats installed.. the rest in perfect..

More pics..

2. Member
    The transom was put in two days ago. I took the clamps off this afternoon and it is solid as a rock. I have sanded it down and have it ready to begin glassing it in. I have removed any and all things from the top cap and have begun getting it ready to go back on. I will get some pics tomorrow and get this thread back up to speed.

3. Member
    So that's why you brought my old thread to life huh?

Good luck, but a fair warning to you, from someone who's done this and has rebuilt boat to the extent you are about to do.

This is going to cost you a pretty penny and lots of time.
    I can guarantee you, you can find a better haul for cheaper.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

If you need any advice let me know.
    Shawn.D
    2015 Phoenix 618pro w/ 150 Evinrude Etec HO

4. Member
    Well of course.. I had to ask you why you got to the point you did... spent as much as you did.. and then just stopped.. It was a question that begged to be asked.

I thank you for the warning. I have done a ton of work so far, but at this point, I would say the biggest part is done.

The transom is in. The floor is in. I have the top almost sanded. The top has already been fitted and fits like a glove still.

Things left to do:

cut and install the few pieces of wood that rim the inside of the hull that needed replacing

finish glassing in the floor and the transom

install the new aerator pump and the bilge pump

carpet the hull and install the top

Top work left:

finish up sanding and install the support for the new casting deck in the front

install top and run wiring

Wiring will be very easy.. I marked all wires before they were cut.. easy install

AFTER THE TOP IS ON:

hook all the hoses back up that go to the live wells

then I get to figure out what I am gonna do about seats...

make new covers for the live wells and the bilge area

and the rest I would say are odds and ends..

Did I miss anything?

Oh.. I had one more question that I have always wanted to ask you, ShawnD..

Why did you cut the top?? I have gone back and read any thread that was involved with any HPV - 165 or HPV- 170 or HPV-175 respectively.. most.. well.. all have stopped posting or just didn't finish the project.. You were the only one I have seen who cut the top.. Why?

I knew what I was getting into when I bought this.. Granted I have never done boat work before.. and I learn as I go.. but the only things I had no clue about were working with resin and fiberglassing.. the wood working, sanding, etc.. I already knew.. I have been a professional painter, sheet rocker, and flooring installer for a few decades and have the tools.. I have turned my own wrenches on anything since I got my license at 16.. I'm not 40 yet.. but I spend my time since high school learning trades..

I started with carpet installation at 16.. I had a buddy that was an installer and I worked with him for a few years and learned the trade and became his best installer.. on the job I had to wait for a few other trades to get there stuff done and get out of the way..... if you know what I mean.. any professional installer of anything knows this.. lol

Well since I had to wait anyways.. I would watch them work.. talk to them.. learn the technique.. Sheetrock.. Mudding.. Taping.. even finish painting.. I learned it all.. I learned it so well I have run paint crews professionally...

Over the years I have learned how to install tile, hardwood, lino, etc.. I have done all professionally for years and have the tools..

I have owned many 70's and 80's GM cars.. Monte Carlos, Malibus, etc.. I was known for buying something for next to nothing.. and doing a bit of work and getting years out of it.. all while my buddies were spending thousands on cars that they couldn't really work on themselves and that would last maybe a year or two..

I do any and all work that I can do myself.. and with a buddy if need be.. If I can't do it, it goes to the cadre of friends that I have met over the years that usually can.. except for boats.. which is why I am now here. I have not met anybody that I can remember that does boat work.. so I come here to learn.. and I have learned a ton so far.. and I am sure I will continue to learn a ton more.

As you can see.. I am the kinda guy that starts something and finishes it. I can not put this much of myself into something and just walk away. I knew this boat was gonna need a ton of work when I drove the 3 hours to look at it with my youngest son. I have a good sized list of stuff still to do, but I will be in the water with this boat in the spring. I will be doing all this work under a car port with tarps zip-tied to the sides and a few electric heaters.. I do not have a nice size warehouse to do my work in. If I did.. I would be pretty much done already.. I have to wait a bit longer for my stuff to dry..

Sure I could find a better haul for cheaper.. but why? This one is almost ready to go.. and besides.. I have looked at the prices of the bass boats in my area.. I should easily be able to come in with a final price well under what I could buy a "nice" one for..

So.. lets look at it..
    I get a boat that I rebuilt and fixed with my own hands with help from my kids.. It will be cheaper than all the "nice" cheaper hauls out there... and the owners of the "nice" cheaper hauls out there will STILL be coming over and saying something to the effect of.. "Sweet Boat man.." etc..

Seems like a Win, win, win to me..

5. Member
    There are two pics in that group of 7 that show the fiberglass piece I took off the transom.. my buddy thinks I should glass this back in. what do you guys think?

6. Member
    "Never give up".....great job so far. Always good to hear someone who wants to bring something back to life and teach it to their kids as well. I too am the same way. This will teach them to follow thru with things and get that satisfaction of completing something all the while helping dad. We need more of this in this day in time.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobaphat2001 View Post
    There are two pics in that group of 7 that show the fiberglass piece I took off the transom.. my buddy thinks I should glass this back in. what do you guys think?
    At this point you might as well rebuilt the glass yourself, Nice work, keep at it.
    Shawn.D

8. Member
    Thank you, 707Utte.. I agree..

Thank you, ShawnD.. I was leaning towards replacing it.. that outer skin is/was pretty bad when I took it off..

9. Member
    I have been plugging away at the boat. I finished installing the new pieces for the rim of the boat (where the top and bottom screws together). The pieces in the front were pretty rotted and someone had repaired a few with some regular steel bolts which had rusted of course, so I had to replace a good amount.

The electric heaters just weren't cutting it anymore so I had to upgrade to a wood stove. I got a sweet deal on the wood stove from a buddy. I paid $10 bucks and an old lawn mower. LOL

The "man cave" (my neighbor started calling it that after I put in the wood stove) is nice an warm when I need it to be which has drastically shortened dry times. Yay!!

I have been able to:

installed sealed wood for rim
    installed second layer of glass on floor (I just need to finish 3 seams.. ran out of resin and had to wait.. not making a batch just for 3 seams..)
    installed first layer of 8 oz cloth on the inside and outside of transom

Here are the latest pics from end of the day last night:

IMG_20151026_194652078.jpgIMG_20151026_194704748.jpgIMG_20151026_194725112.jpgIMG_20151026_194731816.jpgIMG_20151026_194808313.jpgIMG_20151026_194836534.jpgIMG_20151026_194842774.jpg

10. Member
    Keep at it, looking forward to when you start laying glass down.
    Shawn.D

11. Member
    I have already begun laying glass down. The whole floor has 2 layers of fiberglass 8.5 oz glass on it. The transom has 1 layer of 8.5 oz on either side as well as 1 layer of 18 oz on top of that on each side. I am thinking probably another layer of 18 oz on the inside of the transom and then maybe a few more on the outside.

Looking great, I rebuilt the same boat, why ? Because it wasa fun project. It the best 16 out there, great ride, handles ruff stuff well.

13. Member
    I have finished glassing in the second layer of 18 oz glass on the transom inside and outside.. They are dried and presently sanded and awaiting layer number 3.

Here are the pics.. the first 3 are the first layer of 18 oz. being mocked up.. the 4th is layer number 2 18 oz. mock up..

IMG_20151027_122943635.jpgIMG_20151027_122951725.jpgIMG_20151027_123004880.jpgIMG_20151028_170916167.jpg

14. Member
    A little update on the bass boat..

I have put a total of 8 or 9 layers on each side of the transom.. I have put in the cross brace that goes across the transom and that ties into the floor..

I have glassed in the cross brace..

I made a nice new casting deck for the front of the boat. I did not want to lose all the storage like everybody else I have seen put a new deck in one of these boats. I will still have access to the normal storage areas under the seats on either side, but the middle storage area is going through a bit of a redesign... I am turning the middle storage area into a built in cooler/storage area that is insulated like a normal cooler.

I have made the frame work for the casting deck and each storage area and then I marked each and took it all apart to be sealed and prepped for real install..

I have a good 2 inch gap that goes around the outside of the cooler/storage area that I plan on filling in with "Good Stuff".. Do you think this will work as a good insulator? any other ideas on a better insulator??

I will take pics tomorrow of the before and after of the top and the pieces and also pics of the install and upload those tomorrow.

STAY TUNED..

15. Member
    Here are a few pics.. I have installed the casting deck, done more layers on the outside of the transom, finished up my work on the nice big crack that had been in the front.. well it was a hole to be honest..

I am almost done with the bottom. I will do a few more layers on the outside of the transom and call it good.

After that I need to install the carpet, install the winch ring up front, put in the new drain plug, install the pumps, etc before the top goes on

I am getting there.. LOL

IMG_20151102_095523486.jpgIMG_20151102_095530079.jpgIMG_20151102_095542459.jpgIMG_20151102_095549346.jpgIMG_20151102_095608086.jpgIMG_20151102_095617192.jpgIMG_20151102_095623095.jpgIMG_20151102_095635450.jpgIMG_20151102_095649167.jpgIMG_20151107_145956494.jpgIMG_20151107_150007458.jpgIMG_20151107_150017131.jpgIMG_20151107_155954612.jpgIMG_20151109_194235980.jpgIMG_20151109_194258687.jpg

16. Member
    Ok, again I ask.. Does anybody have a better idea to use as an insulator for my cooler besides a few cans of "Good Stuff" expanding foam????

Quote Originally Posted by bobaphat2001 View Post
    Ok, again I ask.. Does anybody have a better idea to use as an insulator for my cooler besides a few cans of "Good Stuff" expanding foam????
    Not really, other than using a 2-part urethane foam (basically the same thing), like US Composites sells. Just be sure to pick a low expansion version - otherwise you risk warping/cracking the sidewalls if the foam is constrained and can't expand to empty cavities faster than it starts to cure.

Only other option would be to glue 2" thick closed-cell urethane foam sheets to the outer walls. Then fill any gaps with the Great Stuff. If you can insulate the underside of the area, and put insulation under the lid, that will really help keep the cold in!

18. Member
    Thanks, CastingCall!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast