Thread: 3/4 or 1 ton?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    I too am an RV'er, and have a new fifth wheel trailer behind my F250 diesel that's got air bags and factory installed helper springs. With a tuner, I have plenty of power to tow. It's the kingpin weight (hitch) that the 3/4 ton is weak. Anything over 13K lbs. and 2500 lbs. kingpin really needs Dual Rear Wheels. Few people have 4 link special air ride suspensions in their 3/4 ton trucks.

Don't forget that if you have duals, you have a backup tire if one shreds. And trucks towing heavy loads do have blowouts. But most trucks towing boats are not getting up to the maximum tow weights where a 1 ton is required.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I too am an RV'er, and have a new fifth wheel trailer behind my F250 diesel that's got air bags and factory installed helper springs. With a tuner, I have plenty of power to tow. It's the kingpin weight (hitch) that the 3/4 ton is weak. Anything over 13K lbs. and 2500 lbs. kingpin really needs Dual Rear Wheels. Few people have 4 link special air ride suspensions in their 3/4 ton trucks.

Don't forget that if you have duals, you have a backup tire if one shreds. And trucks towing heavy loads do have blowouts. But most trucks towing boats are not getting up to the maximum tow weights where a 1 ton is required.
    I now tow with a SRW 3500 and my pin weight is just shy of 4,000. My camper weight is 15,000 +- with a 5,000# boat behind that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12