Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Experience moving from a bassboat to a multi species?

For those who have made the move, what do you miss about the bassboat? What can't you do or can't do as well anymore?

I'm thinking about getting a boat, and am torn between a bassboat and a ranger 620.

I just find it a little more challenging to flip. But would buy another deep v before a bass boat again because of my fishing style and fall walleye.

I have no compaints! Had 5 "bass" boats and made the switch to a multi-species boat about 4 years ago. Still go into shallow water, comfortable ride, dry ride, can still do about 55mph and the wife loves the higher sides. Fish for bass in New Hampshire and trailer to Erie to fish for waleye and other lakes to troll for trout and salmon. A very versatile piece of equipment!
    Bugs
    2003 Ranger 620VS
    2003 Yamaha 225HP
    2003 Yamaha 9.9HP

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    For those who have made the move, what do you miss about the bassboat? What can't you do or can't do as well anymore?

I'm thinking about getting a boat, and am torn between a bassboat and a ranger 620.
    We made the switch from all bass boats to a Ranger 619VS last year. You loose the speed of a bass boat and some front deck space. Other than that, my wife and I love our multi species Ranger. Haven't gotten wet yet, better ride, safer in rough waters, deeper interior for the grandkids. I haven't really missed the bass boat at all since making the switch.

5. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Sold my ranger Z520 and bought a lund impact 1875. The lund fishes great. I haven't missed the bassboat.

Went from a 1989 ranger bass boat to a new 2013 620vs. All I can say is do it. The best decision I ever made. Only thing I miss is nothing.

6ft rollers on Lake Michigan last weekend were no problem and today putting it in to a 190 acre lake was just fine
    http://www.scvwl.com
    2013 Ranger 620VS Yamaha 250 and Yamaha 9.9 kicker

As far as speed the 250 Yamaha gets it up to 58 no problem fully loaded. It will run 62 but that's maxed out

I made the switch in 2004 from a 20' bass boat (Skeeter 202) to a Ranger 620 and have been very happy. I miss the length of the front casting deck, but that's it as far as the layout of the boat. The draft is 6" deeper than a bassboat, but I can still fish very skinny water, when I need to. The boat sits higher so the wind will push you around a bit more when you're fishing down a bank with a crosswind. The only reason I would ever go back to a bass hull would be if I moved to some place where my home waters were a big river system, like the Mississippi.

9. Member
    Had ALOT of bass boats over the last 10 years and switched to a 621 Ranger this Spring.. LOVE IT.. Plenty of room to store all the gear, added a rear deck extension I can take out when its time to troll or perch.. Yes you loose some front deck space but well worth it..

10. Member
    Just sold my 2015 Bass Cat Caracal and this questions weights heavily on my mind as well...

Always had bass boats, traded in a Triton TR21 on a Ranger 620. The only disadvantage I've noticed was flipping and skipping under docks, it is tougher! Other than that, there are no disadvantages! None!!!! One little perk we noticed is bed fishing is easier! The front sits up just enough to make seeing fish on beds easier! Get one!!!!

Multi species: Requires bigger tow vehicle. Burns more fuel? Will cause me to add walleye rods, down riggers, planar boards, etc etc etc :-)

13. Member
    I sold my nitro bass boat and bought a Lund impact 1875 with a walk trough windshield I don't miss a thing about my bass boat. Ride in a bass boat on ky lake on a windy day and than ride in a boat like mine you will not miss your bass boat and you will be dry.If you want a big front deck take a look at the nitro ZV 21.

14. Banned
    Went from a Champion bassboat to my Alumacraft. Like my Alumacraft, especially up on Erie!

15. Member
    I was in the same situation with you. I looked at pretty much all the multi species type boats and settled on a 2015 Stratos 326xf with a 250 Evinrude G2. I am so happy I made the switch. I fished in a bass fishing tournament this past weekend with it and have fished in a few more this summer. I have lost some front deck space, and some top end speed from being in a bass boat. One of the main reasons why I went with the Stratos is because of it's lower gunnels. I am able to flip/pitch just about as well as I could in a bass boat. Some of the multi species have pretty high gunnels so that's something to consider if you like to flip/pitch. The night before the tourney, I had 5 kids on the boat out tubing. My kids love it and that's another reason I switched. So much more room and not tripping over each other like you would in a dual console bass boat. In the spring, I had up to 4 coolers in it for fishing for perch or sunnies. I'd do it again..

How do the gunnels on the stratos compare to the ranger 620?

17. Member
    They are very close and both will take the same size tracks if that will help answer your question.

Questio was more about gunnel height. Tall ones get in the way of pitching jigs.

I can go measure the height of my 2013 620 if you would like. Which area are you looking for the bow height I'm guessing since the rear is way deeper? Or both? I would have to guess maybe 6" for the bow

20. Member
    My 386 is about 4 to 5 inches from the deck to gunnel on the bow. The 326 is similar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast