Exclamation 2002 225HO help!

My 2002 225HO will start and idle fine in neutral, but when I put it in gear it dies, or if I rev the throttle(hotfoot) in neutral, the instant I let off the pedal it dies immediately. So far I've replaced the fuel filter, replaced the primer bulb, cleaned the exhaust pressure sensor and checked the spark plug gaps with no change. I just bought the boat a couple weeks ago and the guy I bought it from had the compression checked and that was good as well. I've got an appointment to get it into my local Evinrude shop, but they can't get it in for almost two weeks. The only other things I can think to do myself is try changing the fuel lines and decarbonizing it. Is there anything else that I'm overlooking that I could try? Any ideas would be much appreciated! It's especially annoying, because I came across a great deal on a pair of talons that are close to me, but I want to figure this out before I drop money on anything else!
    2003 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    2003 Evinrude 225HO

I would start with a compression check, even though the previous owner said it was OK. Any chance the fuel might be bad, did it sit for a while?
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Member
    I'm going through almost identical issues with a newly rebuilt 04
    2004 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS 25 fury 77mph
    hds12c hds12c hds9
    Ghost, blades

Check sparkplug condition and the gap. If over .035", replace the plugs, gap to .028" and index them correctly. This assumes that your motor is in good shape, the exhaust pressure sensor tube is clean, and there is no binding of the shift rod to activate the shift interrupter switch and have it stick on.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

I was messing around with it more last night and I found a couple pieces of fuel line that seem alot softer than the others. I think I'll try changing those and see if it makes any difference.
    2003 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    2003 Evinrude 225HO

Last edited by smjunior25; 09-01-2015 at 11:42 AM.
    2003 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    2003 Evinrude 225HO