nitro z7 vs z7 sport

I'm in the looks of a new a boat and I think I'm gonna go with nitro. I've been looking and I was wondering if people have ever compared the two. I'll do more fishing then anything, but in also like to tube with my friends and stuff so that's why I'm considering the sport. Is there a better choice for me? Also is there any new 2016 nitros that are a fish n ski model?

2. Member
    The Sport is probably the best set up fish and ski out there. It comes with everything to do both. Even the livewell has recirculate and pump out like the Z7. The seating is comfortable, lots of storage and the ski pole is included as standard. Even though the Opti is available, I would recommend the 150 4 stroke for this boat. It is quieter for just cruising, etc. Only thing to get used to is the windshield when casting up front and that really isn't hard to do. It's not a true bass boat, but it can do a decent job at it and you don't lose ski boat comfort.

3. Member
    It is a great time to buy either one. The Z7 has a $2000 clearance discount while the sport has $2500 off.
    It really depends on what you want to do the most. If fishing is 60% of what you do then the Z7 will make you happier with the addition of a ski tow bar.
    If you plan on playing most of the time the features of the sport will trip your trigger.
    We have both in the showroom and you can try them on and see what will work best for you.
    Born to fish, forced to work.

4. Member
    Tnsnow what color is the z7 over there? Also what other models are coming out in 2016?

5. Member
    I recently had to make the same decision you are currently faced with! I have a family of 4 and a lot of friends who love to both fish and wake board/tube! I ended up going with the 2014 Z7 sport with the 4 stoke 150 and have not regretted it single bit! It is great in rough open water which is a plus because I also use it for trout and red fishing in the bay. It is very comfortable and has lots of room for extras! I bass fish a lot as well and the only negative thing i have to say is the windshield can get in the way at times but it is also very handy on cold or rainy days! The boat is pretty quick with a load and full tank of fuel as well.....runs in the high 40's with a crowd and party gear and in the low to mid 50's with 2 people and fishing gear! My favorite part other than the aggressive looks and styling is the great fuel economy! I have had the boat for a year now and have right at 100 hrs on it and can honestly count the amount of times i have fueled it up! It is a great all around boat but you do have to keep in mind it is a fish and ski! i shopped for a while and did my homework and nitro has the best priced package in my opinion! Let me know if you have any other questions as i would be glad to help!

Be aware that the Sport is really a 19.5' boat so it is heavier than the Z7. IMO a 150 is not enough. They claim mid 50s and that's gong to be best case with no gear and one person. It's gong to struggle if you load it down with people. The front deck is tiny you'd be better of with a Tracker. The live well is only 16 gal so about half the size of a real bass boat. Standard price is with the most basic fish finder and a 12v trolling motor which is NOT enough for this boat. If you want to ride around and occasionally fish it might be OK but in that case I'd get a Tahoe or a pontoon. But you mostly fish so I would not even consider the Sport.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Member
    Just keep in mind it is a fish and ski and there are sacrifices as it is not a full bass boat. I have a Z-7 Sport; the mid 50s is not just a claim, it's fact; I GPS 55 alone and slightly over 50 with 4 people on board. I'm a fisherman also so I made some alterations (removed the windshield, added two more fishfinders, made a front deck extender, and made the back seat center back seat removable). A Z-7 Sport should never be compared to a pontoon or tahoe! If you haven't already, go over to the Fish N Ski forum and there are some Z-7 Sport conversations going on. If you plan to be a 90% fisherman, I think you have to go with the Z-7 and tell the family to get over it, you can pull a tube on a Z-7. Bruce is right about one thing, the trolling motor is not enough.

8. Member
    I concur with jackballin, my z7 sport runs in the high 40's with a crowd and party gear (5-6 ppl, snacks/drinks/ice, wakeboard/tubing gear) and in the low to mid 50's with 2 people and fishing gear (roads/reels, tackle, full live wells).... the boat is rather heavy and 150 hp is the biggest motor allowed on it. The upgraded trolling motor is definitely a must ( i went with the 24v 70lb motor guide and it works like a champ). I also upgraded the fish finder at the helm and added one at the bow (HDS 7 in at the helm and mark 5x pro at the bow.....if you do upgrade be aware that the HDS price and upgrade did not include the structure scan package). All in all the boat is a very good cross and offers the best bang for the buck. I had narrowed it down to the z7 sport and ranger reata when i was shopping, while the ranger is a nice boat it just didnt fit my needs.....the back deck was to small and the boat seemed to be more a cross between a multi species boat and ski boat rather than a bass and ski boat.

9. Member
    Does the Nitro Z7 sport go in as shallow of water as the regular Nitro Bass Boats?