Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Raymarine sideVision

Pics as promised, good or bad. Pouring out but had to try it. All default. Will play with it more soon. Just OK images to side. Shows fish to side decent. As with the Garmin, water column is not good. Hopefully can tweak. Looks like gain must be turned up to get better long distant shot. Odd shadows from fish to side.

Montess,

Nice imaging. Congrats.

I like.....Great images, Monte

Montess,
    The images look great.. Why do you say the water column isn't good? Is the water clear in the lake where you took those shots? First shots I posted we're from a clear water lake which resulted in a clear, black water column. Last weeks shots were from dirty old saint Lawrence river which resulted in a murky water column.
    Just wondering if that might be the reason for the lack of contrast between water column and bottom.
    Last edited by Astrochris; 08-20-2015 at 08:41 PM.

Was raining hard and lil muddy. I would like the water column more black and free of clutter more like the di image. Maybe I am being too picky

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Was raining hard and lil muddy. I would like the water column more black and free of clutter more like the di image. Maybe I am being too picky
    I suspect the "clutter" is due to the air bubbles created by the rainfall. Sonar can only measure distance and all distance from the transducer has those air bubbles. Sort of like prop aeration of the water that sonar will record, but more isolated.

I would venture to guess that the next few days will not have that "clutter".
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Interesting that they advertise you can change the "settings" to change the angle of the side beam for shallow or deep water. Great selling point but is is manualy done by loosening six screws on the transducer. Not really what I would call a "setting change. Factory angle is centered. I wonder if that loses some of the things under the boat. Seems like you need to use Downvision and sidevision to get full coverage.

8. Banned

Spent more time with it this morning. Really only two setting adjustments. Gain and contrast. Seems best on auto. I'm not impressed with this Si, once again especially in the water column.

10. Member
    Great images. Does the Raymarine have a dedicated DI and SI chrystal? If so they done a real good job of eliminating interference. Also in the 2nd picture it appears to show fish in the bed to the right, that's awesome.

Yes the 2d chirp and di chirp are on one transducer. The Si is two seperate tubes with a seperate wire going to each in one single bracket. There are set screws so that you can manually adjust the angle for shallow or deep water. Transducer is huge @ about 12" long.

I didnt notice the gills on the bed but see them now.

Last edited by MonteSS; 08-21-2015 at 08:09 AM.

12. Banned
    ----------
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 02-04-2016 at 06:14 AM.

What are you using for mapping? Does it do water level offset and depth highlight with Navionics?

14. Banned
    I thought garmin and lakemaster are the only to offer those features? Some navionics chips will do something similar on lowrance buts it's complicated to set up and doesn't show color shading

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    I thought garmin and lakemaster are the only to offer those features? Some navionics chips will do something similar on lowrance buts it's complicated to set up and doesn't show color shading

Lowrance Gen 2 and Gen3 units with current software can do depth highlighting, shallow water highlighting, depth shading, and depth offset like the Navionics Mobile App does and Lakemaster in Humminbird units.
    Navionics maps with HD contours can do that.
    It's in the Chart menu.

The mobile app I have on several Android tablets and phones has those settings.
    My iPad app doesn't have those settings, I have not updated the maps recently to check.
    One of the Navionics reps can verify the iOS features.
    edited: just updated my iOS app and it has those settings too.

This is an example of the Mobile App.
    The red dots are the Shallow Area highlighting.
    The white area is the depth highlighting although it is called Fishing Range on the app and is activated by turning on Fishing Mode.
    The orange dots are the creek channel highlighting that is called Nature of Seabed.
    If Fishing Mode is turned off, then Depth Shading is functional from the shoreline to whatever depth you choose.

Water Level Offset has -150' to +50'

Last edited by Wayne P.; 08-21-2015 at 07:34 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I havnt played with GPS functions on the Raymarine. I fish smaller lakes that aren't mapped

Came with C-maps but I think Navionics works

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    it's obvious at this point that either your expectations are too high or you simply need more time on the water to learn to interpret what you're seeing

here's a good explanation for you. same thing I've been trying to tell you

HDS structure scan, why does it suck for marking fish?! - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
    TroyBoy, I read the article you listed and did not see any explanations, really only more questions. As I try to learn more about imaging and finding fish, I am interested in what principles you feel are most critical. Thanks

[QUOTE=MonteSS;6486210]Yes the 2d chirp and di chirp are on one transducer. The Si is two seperate tubes with a seperate wire going to each in one single bracket. There are set screws so that you can manually adjust the angle for shallow or deep water. Transducer is huge @ about 12" long.

TE]

Monte, I think your expectations are a bit higher then most. I know way more then mine. I think there is nothing wrong with your initial images. Like TB said seat time with your new toy. I'll bet my Garmin you will see imagery that will impress you the more you use your unit. Personally, I think what you have looks dang good. What more is out there that can offer you a competitive advantage for catching fish? Not blowing you any smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Lowrance Gen 2 and Gen3 units with current software can do depth highlighting, shallow water highlighting, depth shading, and depth offset like the Navionics Mobile App does and Lakemaster in Humminbird units.
    Navionics maps with HD contours can do that.
    It's in the Chart menu.

The mobile app I have on several Android tablets and phones has those settings.
    My iPad app doesn't have those settings, I have not updated the maps recently to check.
    One of the Navionics reps can verify the iOS features.
    edited: just updated my iOS app and it has those settings too.

This is an example of the Mobile App.
    The red dots are the Shallow Area highlighting.
    The white area is the depth highlighting although it is called Fishing Range on the app and is activated by turning on Fishing Mode.
    The orange dots are the creek channel highlighting that is called Nature of Seabed.
    If Fishing Mode is turned off, then Depth Shading is functional from the shoreline to whatever depth you choose.

Water Level Offset has -150' to +50'

Wayne, that's my issue. You can't do this easily and using dotted display just doesn't represent similarly like LakeMaster or lakeVu MaxDef in my opinion. I really researched this but just didn't impress me before I switched. Plus I sure don't want to do this on a iPhone or iPad and expect more from Navionics on a Gen2/Gen3 setup. Actually, not Lowrances fault. Navionics needs to step up their game.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Yes the 2d chirp and di chirp are on one transducer. The Si is two seperate tubes with a seperate wire going to each in one single bracket. There are set screws so that you can manually adjust the angle for shallow or deep water. Transducer is huge @ about 12" long.

In which picture do you see the bream beds? Thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast