Question Seeking knowledge on a 1989 Astro Aluminum Bass Boat & new to forum

Hello & thanks for having me in your forum. I'm a former Marine and new boat owner doing my best to restore an old boat. I plan to use it on the Potomac River as often as life, my wife and children will allow.

I have recently purchased a 1989 Astro Aluminum Bass Boat and I am trying my best to restore the boat or at the very least make it safe. I am hoping you guys/gals will be able to help me.

First off I have identified that the boat has 1989 Mercury 25hp motor. A tip to anyone else that needs to research the motor (drop the leading zero). My serial number 0C172638 lead me no where until I learned this and that the number is also called a "production number." 25 HP 1989 MLH B38500 - C221499 (If correct my motor falls here in the numbering.)

1.) I am hoping someone here might have a manual for this motor
    2.) I am hoping someone here might have a manual for this boat. It isn't entirely clear to me if there are any good ones that contain any useful information.
    3.) I am hoping someone here might have information on what this boat is supposed to look like without mods (any pictures of this style would be awesome).
    4. ) I am hoping someone can help me determine if these seat post holes are the original seat post holes and if so what is the part # for the correct seat post or a seat post that should work. Currently the seat feels extremely short. When attempting to sit in it and control the trolling motor my knee is at my chest.

The boat appears to have numerous modifications that were done poorly or just not maintained at all. I believe the seat posts have been hacked or cut and I'm struggling to find a good replacement. Here is shot of the seat post. It appears cut and has no pin on the bottom. It is just cut metal and the plastic that the seat is plugged into is abused and will fall out if the post is removed and turned upside down. I have tried a Attwood Rise Post and it won't fit / seat in the hole. The other posts I can obtain via West Marine (my local store) are either too thin or have a pin. There also appears to be a spring in the base of the tube. I am working on lubricating it and seeing if I can remove the dirt and the spring if possible.
    20150802_102219.jpgThe post as it is now. It looks to me like they cut this post in half to use it in both seat holes (just a guess.)
    20150819_193211.jpg The best shot I can get down the tube showing the spring.

20150820_164607.jpg My attempt at sizing/fitting a SWIVL-EZE Pin Pedestal Set 14" Rise Part # 97739-T 11'in post with 7" x 7" base. It clearly isn't going to work. The angle on the bottom exceeds the size of the pipe and base is too large. I have also tried a smaller diameter post and it has alot of play and is clearly not the correct option.

5.) The boat maximum capacity / weight value is a concern for me as well. I'm 250lbs. While the title says the boat is a 15ft the Astro Graphics on the boat say "Astro 16".
    6.) I'm wondering how I get the proper measurements (long tape measures? etc) It is badly worn but the capacity plate appears to me as to suggest the max is 485lbs.
    Given that there are mods, carpeting, anchor, rope, life jackets, wiring, seat mods, rods, tackle, a fuel tank and battery to consider. It seems very likely that I should not have 2 people in the boat. Any guidance here is greatly appreciated (you might save a life.)

Here are few more shots of the boat.

20150820_164932.jpg20150820_164930.jpg20150820_164923.jpg20150820_164910.jpg20150820_164906.jpg20150820_164903.jpg20150820_164859.jpg20150820_164854.jpg20150820_164851.jpg

Thanks for your time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I could be wrong but as far as I know, Astro was bought out by pro craft and pro craft was bought out by Nitro (Tracker Marine) so juding by the age and that the brand no longer exists, I doubt you will find part numbers that you can order from a catalogue. You may just have to go the custom route. It looks like a great bade for a project though!

Swivel eze carries many sizes and shapes of bases and pedestals. My recomendation would be to tear into it and take measurements of what is there. If you can't find exact fitting items, customizing it out of what you can find is your next best option.

Good luck and keep us posted on the project!

Welcome to BBC.
    OK a few suggestions. Go back and read the suggestions for newcomers to BBC if you have not already. When posting it is best to narrow down your post to one topic and try and be as specific as possible. Your post is great and the pics are clear but your subjects are many. Also, not many of the aluminum Astros around. Although I was aware they made them back then yours is the first I have seen (besides pics). My boat is a fiberglass 1989 Astro Quickfire 19SC with a Mercury 150 HP XR4 engine also a 1989 vintage so we share some things in common.
    I will now try and answer your questions in order:
    1. I bet you can get a manual for your motor from Mercury. There were two types, Owners Manuals and Shop Manuals or Service Manuals. Check with Mercury and ebay for either as I was able to get both for mine.
    2. Astro Owners Manuals are scarce as hens teeth. Try ebay but not many have survived. From what my sources tell me they really did not contain that much useful info anyway.
    3. I do have a pic from a magazine add I will send in an instant message to you as well as your boat specs.
    4. Your seat post should be preserved if possible. This was what the early seat posts looked like and if it is in good enough shape you can easily replace the actual seat back and cushions. See if you can see how the post was installed. The carpet may be hiding the actual base or it may be welded to the boat. You need to examine it carefully and then make your plan of attack but if at all possible try and preserve it. There are different types of seat post set ups as you may know. Take a look at V hull fishing boats with the seats mounted to the floor of the boat, not on a raised deck for examples.
    Seat height is critical in your boat as you don't want it too high or your boat may become too tippy.
    5. I am sending you your boat specs in the Instant Message. I believe your boat is either 15'7" or 16'. The 16' boat was the pro model or uplevel like in cars.

Enough for now Best Wishes and Good Luck

You have a new IM

5. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC!!

You might be able to get a sleeve, to allow a modern pedestal to be used in the larger opening? That or possibly get a new (short) swiveleze pedestal and insert it into the top of your existing pedestal. Might be the perfect height when you stack them? (You'll probably get more ideas and info if you post about the pedestal in the "general bassboat" forum.)

An "astro" manual is pretty much a waste of time. It'll have very generic info in it like "wear your life preserver at all times" and basic common knowledge type stuff.. All the good info like gauges, pumps/valves, seats, etc. will be aftermarket items.. The manual to get is an OEM "Service Manual" for your motor.. Use the serial # of your engine to search out the proper manual. Make sure you get an OEM one though as there IS a difference!! The cheap manuals cover many models of motor in 1 and leave out a lot of details..

Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    I could be wrong but as far as I know, Astro was bought out by pro craft and pro craft was bought out by Nitro (Tracker Marine) so juding by the age and that the brand no longer exists, I doubt you will find part numbers that you can order from a catalogue. You may just have to go the custom route. It looks like a great bade for a project though!

Swivel eze carries many sizes and shapes of bases and pedestals. My recomendation would be to tear into it and take measurements of what is there. If you can't find exact fitting items, customizing it out of what you can find is your next best option.

Good luck and keep us posted on the project!
    Hold On there a moment. Procraft did not buy Astro the company merged with Smyrna,Tn. based Pro Craft and they became Marine Group Inc. of Murfreesboro, Tn. But thats not even half of the whole story. Also, I strongly recommend you not tear into anything. Your boat is an origional as 1989 is when Astro started. You may have one of the oldest Aluminum Astro(not Astroglass) boats on this forum and IMHO it is worth restoring properly. Don't follow the path of the previous owner is my recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedbassn View Post
    Hold On there a moment. Procraft did not buy Astro the company merged with Smyrna,Tn. based Pro Craft and they became Marine Group Inc. of Murfreesboro, Tn. But thats not even half of the whole story. Also, I strongly recommend you not tear into anything. Your boat is an origional as 1989 is when Astro started. You may have one of the oldest Aluminum Astro(not Astroglass) boats on this forum and IMHO it is worth restoring properly. Don't follow the path of the previous owner is my recommendation.
    Correction
    I have since learned that Astro originated from a company called Astroglass. In 1989 Astroglass was purchased by Brunswick along with Procraft. Brunswick renamed Astroglass boats to Astro boats to shorten the name. Brunswick then began selling both Procraft and Astro boats and put Mercury motors on them as Brunswick also owned Mercury at the time. So Astro and Procraft never merged they were bought out and renamed by Brunswick and marketed under Marine Group Inc. That is how the companies became sister companies in 1989 and of course there is much more to the history as the years went by but that is how they started. By the way Procraft history prior to 1989 is unique from Astro.

8. Member
    Does anyone know the fuel tank capacity of a 1989 Astro Quick fire G16?