Panoptix TruView 3D forward - First impressions

I do search and recovery work so I'm mostly interested in locating structure to help divers / ROVs navigate in poor visibility. I finally broke down and bought a GPSmap 741 and PS-31 transducer. I temporarily mounted the transducer to the stern of my boat while tied up in the marina and pointed it towards the middle of the marina's channel. Here's a screenshot from today's test with some notes. So far I'm pretty darn impressed. The piling and floating dock in the distance are pretty easily identified. I saw a fairly large object swimming which I'm guessing was a skate.

I do wish Garmin made the depth scale and boat icon either much smaller or allow us to turn them off all together. They take up so much of the screen!

The bottom contours are really easy to read, but tall structure not always as easy. Any advice on how to more readily identify structure (posts, etc.)?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have you tried running Panoptix in 2D mode? I find this view most informative, but this is from a fishing perspective.
    Garmin Pro Team

I would think you would see structure more clearly on SidVu

4. Banned
    kinda hard to see structure in front of the boat on sv

5. Member
    Yes, I tried "LiveVu 2D" also. and you can clearly see the piling just 6 feet away. The problem with using the 2D for naviation is that you only get a side view of what's in front of you. If you know what's out there and where it's at, then it's easy enough to point at it and see it. But for navigating and searching I think a better technique might be to use the 3D to find the probable target and then the 2D to verify. At least that's what I will try after I've mounted this on my underwater robot (ROV). I posted an article of my first few tests on my company's website here: Garmin Panoptix Sonar | marinesimulation.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Banned
    nice write up

7. Member
    I've got a question regarding the "LiveVu Forward" function. The specs for the PS-31 say:

• LiveVü Forward
      • User selectable beam direction: Electronically steerable over 60° region (+/- 30° port/starboard)
      • User selectable beam shape: 10° x 90°, 20° x 90°, 40° x 90°

I see in the settings how to steer the beam direction, but not where I can select the beam shape. Anyone else find it?

8. Member
    I can answer my own question, the "User selectable beam shape" is included with the latest update to the firmware. Updated the 741 and PS31 today and, ta-da! there's the new settings. :)

Quote Originally Posted by dabigkahuna View Post
    I can answer my own question, the "User selectable beam shape" is included with the latest update to the firmware. Updated the 741 and PS31 today and, ta-da! there's the new settings. :)
    How do you update a P-30 or P-31? I have the 4.60 update in my 741.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    How do you update a P-30 or P-31? I have the 4.60 update in my 741.
    The latest Panoptix software (2.20) is included in the bundle update for the 741. Just download the bundle, then run the update through the 741 to update Panoptix.
    Garmin Pro Team

11. Member
    Good Stuff, thanks for sharing..
    J