150 Four Stroke - Unscrewing Oil Drain Plug Too Far

I have a 2013 Mercury 150 four stroke. I've changed the oil a few times. I changed it today and accidentally unscrewed the oil drain plug all the way .

It screwed it back in and finished the oil change. The manual says not to unscrew more than 2 1/2 turns to prevent damage to the seal.

Has anyone had that problem? I'm not noticing any oil flowing out around the drain plug yet....

Hoping that I didn't mess something up and I won't do that again!
    Last edited by Tin Boat; 08-20-2015 at 05:16 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Announcements, and provide the required information. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I'll have to cruise over to the storage locker and get the serial number. Did Mercury change the oil drain plug system during 2013? I haven't seen any that were different than mine that would require a serial number for the question I asked. Geez...rules are rules though. I'll dig up the SN.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Boat View Post
    I'll have to cruise over to the storage locker and get the serial number. Did Mercury change the oil drain plug system during 2013? I haven't seen any that were different than mine that would require a serial number for the question I asked. Geez...rules are rules though. I'll dig up the SN.
    I think this is why he asks. Don is an authorized Merc dealer tech he receives technical bulletin updates all the time as well as productions change modifications. Mercury doesn't go by model years they refer to serial numbers so he goes by your number to try and give the most current reply to your question. When you ask something on this board and Don replies you are getting info from a master tech Merc mechanic not an anonymous poster. Not getting on your case just giving you my opinion on why the serial number.

5. Member
    Agree with the above Don is a very giving person and any one that gives out as much FREE info likes to make it correct so a person knows he is someone who you can trust.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'll also add that there were two very different design 150 Fourstrokes that were manufactured between Jan 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013.

"Years" don't mean much... it's the serial number that identifies a Mercury Engine.

That's ONE of the many reasons it's REQUIRED when posting.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I'll also add that there were two very different design 150 Fourstrokes that were manufactured between Jan 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013.

"Years" don't mean much... it's the serial number that identifies a Mercury Engine.

That's ONE of the many reasons it's REQUIRED when posting.
    do you mean the 150 Fourstoke and the 150 Verado?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Correct- and a variety of models of each of those.