Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Thx Joe. I'll check that and post results.

2. Member
    Regarding the trigger measurement: I noticed last night that measured 9/16" and I think the book calls for 11/16". Could that be a contributor?

3. Member
    yes sir need to set and check with light also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That trigger arm length is "extra critical" (if it's not right, stop and correct the length FIRST).

Joe had it right.... just wanted to make sure the importance of the trigger arm length was STRESSED.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member

This is the correct place to measure?? Just double checking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(A) is the correct measurement spot. Also, manually push the arm a few times to make sure the wiring isn't causing the trigger arm to bind or return to its full stop. Mine was doing this and it would randomly be hard to start
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

7. Member
    I did the complete L&S. I still have the warm starting issue. Otherwise the engine runs great. The engine is very rich though. I have oil in the bottom of the cowling that I clean up after every trip to the lake. It's not the res oil cap. I've replaced the VST float and needle, inspected bleed and oil lines. It's hard to pinpoint the leak since it's only occurring when running. Any suggestions?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Is it clearly OIL (the same oil you have in the engine tank)?

I have seen several cases where there was a small amount of moisture in the oil tank, which FROZE in the oil pump. When this occurs, the end-cap of the pump (held by two phillips screws, as I recall) is bent outwards, and does not seal well against the o-ring.

The result is a constant leak from the oil pump... only visible in the bottom of the cowling (pump had to be removed to determine it leaked).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Definitely blue 2stk oil. I'll check out the pump. Thx very much.

10. Member
    Don, is it worth me checking the crankcase oil pressure check valve? I discounted it since I don't really having the "freight train" smoking symptom. I have some smoke but it dissipates. I do have oil reside on my boat oil tank and as noted in bottom of the cowl. Where can oil ooz out when that valve fails?? Could it cause my rich condition as well?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Oil can "ooze" out of the system anywhere there is a loose connection or leak. Unless you can physically see it leaking, this might be a good candidate for removing the lower cowlings, clean ALL surfaces with degreaser to remove oil.

After everything dries completely, you can apply some Lotrimin Athlete's Foot Spray to any suspect area. Leaves a white powder.

Then run engine and watch for the powder to dissipate/turn blue (there's the leak).

UV Leak Detection Dye is another suitable method- though the Lotrimin method works quite well.

12. Member
    Don, I found that the bottom of my oil pump is wet with oil. I assume this is where my leak is. Is there seal kit they sell for these pumps? How many o rings/ seals are in these pumps??
    Thx.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just to verify- your engine has the electronic oil pump (starboard lower corner of intake), correct?

14. Member
    It’s mechanical. Runs off the crank. Located directly above the low pressure fuel pump.

15. Member
    no seal kit for pumps either kind mechanical has oring behind it, check hoses also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12