Banned

200 efi Starts then dies in seconds.

1998 200efi
    # og740084173

A little history .. I bought the boat a couple months ago. Compression checked at 118 to 124 across all 6. We test drive the boat and the holeshot is a little slow but the it turns 5800 and gps says 72mph. Cool.. The guy tells me the holeshot is just slow because he's got it propped to go fast that I could come down to a 23 and just lose some on top but gain the holeshot back. So I buy the boat.

Next week my wife wants to learn how to fish. (she's never fished before, I have always tournament fished but we've been dirt track racing for 5 years and I had sold my Ranger before we met) So I load the boat with fuel and fishing gear. Now it wouldn't plane out at all. Hits 3300rpm and plows. Quick internet search and I'm pulling the pvs plugs out of the prop. Pull 2 out an it planes out (barely). We fish all day. Me and the boy fish the next couple days also. A week later me and the boy take it out, fish all day but on our last spot when we went to leave the motor wouldn't start. This has NEVER happened to it. Well we get it home and it fired right up. The next few times I take it out it will fire up like a new motor, slow holeshot but run down the lake at 70mph BUT once you stop it won't start back up. And if you do get it started it will only turn 3000rpm and no more.

It's sitting in my shop right now same compression readings, good spark. It only wants to start and die here in the shop. Has 36lbs fuel pressure and never bleeds off. It already has the new epa fuel hoses from tanks to engine. Oil mixture thing has been remove and is premix only. I got me a spray bottle and put some 50/1 mix in it. Crank it over with someone spaying the butterflies and it will run all day like that. As soon as you take it away it dies a few seconds later. Any thoughts????

2. Member
    Check your fuel lines and see if they are gray with red letters. If they are you need to change the lines, the bulb, the filter and clean or rebuild the pulse fuel pump. http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-l...ulb-first.html

3. Member
    The EFI's, You need to pump the fuel bulb before each start, I had to do my '99 EFI 200 that way.

4. Banned
    Boat already has the new epa fuel lines and bulb throughout. I think the injectors are not pulsing correctly

5. Banned
    Any other thoughts on this?

6. Member
    Did you do all the items listed in the post or just the fuel lines?

7. Banned
    Everything. Pulse pump and vst are clean as a whistle. Final filter and regulator clean . Every little hose going back and forth is new. Every vacuum line is new.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Plugged, clogged, or restricted injectors... OR perhaps WATER IN FUEL (which you probably would not know with the oil injection removed).

Dump the fuel filter into a glass jar to check for water....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor