Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Please Help - Power Light Blinking on control pad

Hey guys. The Power Light on my control pad is blinking. Can you help me trouble shoot it?

A few weeks back I had asked Cabela's Service Center to replace my old 30amp circuit breaker as it was heavily rusted. Here is a picture of it below. Cabela's didn't have a 30amp unit in stock, so they placed a 50amp unit into my boat for the short-term, and backordered the 30amp. I took the boat out 3 times with the 50amp in place. The first and 2nd were for my first 2 tourny's this year. I had no problems with the pumps, lights, 2 lowrance units, etc. Then on my 3rd trip out--today, I started having problems. The power light starts blinking and I can't use any of my electronics? I did go to Cabella's today and they replaced the 50amp for the 30amp (see picture below). Although I am still having the same issue.

Old-Original 30amp unit

New-30amp unit

Finally, my boat is equipped with the MegaLink system, so I don't believe its as simple as it used to be when I can trouble shoot all my electronics separately? If there is a different forum where I should've posted this, please let me know.

Can you help me pleeeeease?

2007 200 Elite Champion

Modified by fishthenation at 4:38 PM 5/7/2011
    Last edited by fishthenation; 11-20-2021 at 01:40 PM.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

Re: Please Help - Power Light Blinking on control pad (fishthenation)

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=615099 here are the schematics for the megalink system.

Re: Please Help - Power Light Blinking on control pad (ChampioNman)

ChampioNman. Thank you for these schematics. It took me some time to figure out how to print, but was able. This seems like it will be an incrediblly time-consuming project. Cabela's also told me the same at over $115 per hour.

I was hoping I could get some trouble shooting advise, which with guys whom have experience, could probably shorten my situation down dramatically?

1. When the "Power" light on the panel is blinking what does it mean?

2. Is there a "system reset". I looked in my owner's manuals, and there is nothing about this.

3. Does this "Power" light tie directly into the MegaLink System?

4. What would be the most common causes of the Power Light blinking?

5. Could you suggest how you would trouble shoot this? I was thinking about unplugging each of the four plugs from the MegaLink System..one by one... reviewing if the power light is blinking, then digging deeper into those items which fall into that plug which when plugged in, causes the light to blink. Not sure exactly what "deeper means". But I am assuming this could happen if the bilge motor is blocked, or if there is a major wire cut, or? But, I would assume if that were the case, that the individual bilge light would blink, not the power?

6. I did damage my trolling motor transducer, and have ordered a new one, I'm not sure that this would cause this? Would it?

Thanks again for your support.

4. Banned

In the winter when i went it to check all my pumps..i think one was frozen and stop working. My button for the pumps started to blink like you said. I decided to press and hold it down to see if it would reset the key pad and it did. It turned the lights off and allowed me to turn off and on again. As it thawed out i tried my pumps and everything was working again. Check your fuses and if everything looks good try what i said and see if it re-sets your key pad..Keep us posted..

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

If Turtle's suggestion does not work, contact the customer service POCs I have listed at the beginning of this forum.

Re: Please Help - Power Light Blinking on control pad (FEARTHETURTLE210)

Hi Turtle210. Yes I have had a similar experience with the Pump light blinking, then holding it in to reset it.

But, I've never had the "Power" Light blink on me. When this happens, it shuts down all the power.

Little more info. I pulled the 4 plugs today out of the MegaLink unit, & let them all dry out, thinking this may be it because we had some strong storms last week and that area was damp. When I plugged them back in (after 8 hours), the power light "was not" blinking. I turned on each of the switches, and everyone one of the accessories worked (ie. Depth Finders, Lights, Horn, pumps, aerators, etc.). I even turned multiple things on at one time, all was ok.

I left the power switch on, with the dash board Lowrance unit for 15 minutes. And the power light began blinking again. And, I'm back at square one, all doesn't work.

I proceded to pull out each of the 4 plugs one-by-one, and the light kept blinking until I pulled the small one, which I assume carries the main power to the switch. Even after shutting down for 5 minutes at a time, when I turn it back on, it blinks.

Thanks again, I'm hoping on Monday when guys get back to work, they may see this post and help me out? I would assume there is someone out there whom may help. I wanna fish the tourny Wednesday

Modified by fishthenation at 7:59 PM 5/8/2011

7. Banned

I would recommend getting up with Jason Bragg-ex Champion Customer service manager or call over to Freedom outdoors..They have been a Champ dealer for years and probably can help you trouble shoot or tell you what is causing it..Please let us know what you find out becuase I have the same set up on my 2008 210 and would like to know how to trouble shoot if i ever have this same problem..Good Luck!!

8. Member

I had a similar issue. It turned out to be my automatic bilge pump. Just reach under and unplug the thing. It may not be the problem but if it is, it's an easy fix.

9. Banned

Tom - per my separate e-mail - check this thread and see if disconnecting the main battery power might reset the thing:

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=614932

Re: Please Help - Power Light Blinking on control pad (Gunnar)

Good evening. What a day! Firstly, I want to say IT IS FIXED! THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU!

How did I fix it? I actually took all of your suggestions...there was one from DVBASS which I was curious about, it seemed too simple! I took the batteries out, looked at all the pumps, and one-by-one unplugged the 6 of them. And BINGO! I found it.

I had a neighbor electrician come over and tried to figure out "WHY" the Power Switch was tripped and was blinking and "not" the bilge Switch. Bottom line, the Bilge connection was all rusted out. I cleaned it up, placed some contact grease on it, and all is good. If I manually stopped the pump from moving, the pump switch does trip! The issue is the CONNECTION itself! I assume if there is a rusty connection in the system, the POWER will tripp!

Also. <u>I called Ranger/Stratos Customer Service Scott Riggs and Jason Bragg, they believe it sounds like a bad Megalink unit. Ranger Parts told me the Megalink is NO LONGER AVAILABLE and the only fix is a new CONVERSION KIT #CHMPCONV at $1,284. This is a conversion kit from digital to a full "toggle" system, including panels. </u> They have a step-by-step in converting the MegaLink to this new system. If anyone needs this step by step, please IM ME!!!

I did also call UNIFORCE ELECTRONICS whom was the manufacturer of Megalink. I left messages for 2 different guys, but haven't heard back.

IN THE END, I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU! Especially Gunnar, Lea and DVBass! You all saved me about $3,000 with installation!

Tom C..

2007 Champion Elite 200
    225 Mercury ProXS
    Streamwood, IL

Modified by fishthenation at 4:01 PM 5/11/2011

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

Hmmm ... The letterhead on one of the MegaLink documents I have indicates that it was Megatech Electro, a Teleflex company that built them.

Re: Please Help - Power Light Blinking on control pad (Tx Champ)

Interesting. In looking at the drawings I have, the Company listed as the owner of the docs is Uniforce Electronics, North Little Rock, AR. I sure would like to know if these units are still manufactured, as I know this will break down one day.

13. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

So glad it all worked out. That touch pad system is nice, but it had issues as you see. The new rigs have the full toggle you mention.

14. Banned

What..No Megalink made anymore..What the "f",,,It seems they can keep Ranger parts for 20-30 year old boats and cant keep Megalink around for a fews extra years..$1300 for a conversion kit..What a rip off. There looking for all Champion owners to give them a BAIL OUT..Fishthenation do you know where we can buy an extra Megalink from?? Doesnt Skeeter and Legend use this same digital keypad on there high end models?? Wouldnt it operate on a similar megalink main hub?

15. Member

I'm glad to hear that fixed it. Mine was under warranty when I was having issues. It was still under Champion and they even sent a new megalink and switch. Never told me to try disconnecting the auto-bilge. They just said to manually move the float switch which didn't help. As soon as I disconnected the bilge completely, everything worked 100%.

Re: Please Help - Power Light Blinking on control pad (dvbass)

Hey guys.

I'm sorry to say....it worked for 2 days, and now "NOT". The main power light is now blinking again.

No-one at Uniforce Electronics is calling back regarding the MegaLink System. Ranger says its not available any longer. And Ranger is whom provides the parts for the old Champs from my understanding? I found Megatech Electro, Inc on the net. They are located in Quebec. I found two websites: http://www.megatechelectro.com + http://www.megatech.qc.ca and neither of these sites are active any longer. I want to buy another MegaLink. Or something similar.

So, here I sit, no electronics, and the spawn in full force. I need my pumps:-(. I just don't know if I have the heart to go back to Toggle Switches. It's also a HUGE PROJECT, which looks to be like 10 hours for a novice. I've seen some sexy toggle switch options from some of you guys, but I'd have to get clean un-cut panels for my elite if I were to use those. Looks like thie Conversion Kit is my only option.

Thoughts?

Modified by fishthenation at 3:36 PM 5/11/2011

17. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

I am so sorry to hear this.....contact jason again!!!!

Re: Please Help - Power Light Blinking on control pad (Lea)

Jason told me that it was the unit, and I need to buy a new MegaLink.

I'm just hoping more guys could chime in.

Also about Toggles, am I taking a STEP BACK if I go to toggles?

I'm just hoping more guys could chime in.

Also about Toggles, am I taking a STEP BACK if I go to toggles? [/quote]

No sir your taking a step in the right direction: proven design easy to find components and no electronic gadgetry to go wrong.

See ignorance daily

Re: Please Help - Power Light Blinking on control pad (bassin butch)

Is $1,300 for a complete conversion including panels and all components a fair price, or is it crazy?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast