200HP and up non Verado 4 stroke

Ok guys. Truth is I'm a Yamaha fan. I was looking for a 150 four stroke and Mercury proved to be the better fit, even over the new Yamaha 150 SHO. I Bought the 150 mercury on a great deal, brand new, but since then I decided to go bigger with the boat. The 150 mercury will still be ok but the boat will handle alot more HP, and as I get comfortable with the boat I'm sure I'll be looking for more HP. Any chances mercury expands upward with the non Verado four stroke line anytime in the near future? Nothing against the PRO xs, I just do not want a 2 Stroke.

2. Banned
    Don't look for a 200 hp Merc. FourStroke, as they already have that covered with their Verado 200. I understand the popular ECM tuner mentioned on this website often is almost finished with his reprogramming the 150 hp FourStroke. It was originally engineered to have substantially more horsepower, and was detuned to 150 hp for reliability. That would be your best way to go.

The Merc Verado 225 hp is the good buy, since it can be reflashed to 315 hp with far superior drivability than when new. It's going to be interesting to see what can be done with the new Pro 400 hp motor that's coming out. It may be too much horsepower for bassboats--and actually for offshore saltwater boats.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I understand the popular ECM tuner mentioned on this website often is almost finished with his reprogramming the 150 hp FourStroke. It was originally engineered to have substantially more horsepower, and was detuned to 150 hp for reliability. That would be your best way to go.
    Any additional info on the above? I would like to read up on that.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2172Bay View Post
    Any additional info on the above? I would like to read up on that.
    Likely DBR....

HOWEVER... before you make ANY modifications, see the Warranty Section of your owner's manual, specifically the EXCLUSIONS section.

I do suspect that we will see a Naturally Aspirated outboard in the 200-250 hp range at SOME point in the future. The only real question is "when".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Sorry, What's DBR? I'm a little new to this?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Dave Bush Racing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. RIP -April 30,2023
    i was thinking 400 aint enough hp. it will very interesting to see what some of the aftermarket guys will be able to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Don't look for a 200 hp Merc. FourStroke, as they already have that covered with their Verado 200. I understand the popular ECM tuner mentioned on this website often is almost finished with his reprogramming the 150 hp FourStroke. It was originally engineered to have substantially more horsepower, and was detuned to 150 hp for reliability. That would be your best way to go.

The Merc Verado 225 hp is the good buy, since it can be reflashed to 315 hp with far superior drivability than when new. It's going to be interesting to see what can be done with the new Pro 400 hp motor that's coming out. It may be too much horsepower for bassboats--and actually for offshore saltwater boats.
    Last edited by cbailey; 08-10-2015 at 08:03 AM.

I'm surprised they haven't at least come up with a 175 based on the current 150. I know there is a 175 Verado but I don't think it's a good match for a bass boat at 80ish pounds more than a 175 ProXS. Seems like maybe a better fit in a multi engine configuration.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I'm surprised they haven't at least come up with a 175 based on the current 150. I know there is a 175 Verado but I don't think it's a good match for a bass boat at 80ish pounds more than a 175 ProXS. Seems like maybe a better fit in a multi engine configuration.
    175 ProXS: 431 lbs.
    150 Fourstroke: 455 lbs.

That's not 80 lbs difference... AND it's comparing a 175 to a 150.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    175 ProXS: 431 lbs.
    150 Fourstroke: 455 lbs.

That's not 80 lbs difference... AND it's comparing a 175 to a 150.
    Sure, but's not the comparison I was making. The 175 Verado is 510 lbs and that is about 80 lbs more than the ProXS. Not sure if that weight is offset somehow by lower rigging weight or something that's not included in the ProXS weight. Just seems like quite a weight penalty IMO.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Xpress Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Dave Bush Racing.
    It's not Dave Bush Racing because I just got off the phone with Joe. He told me they most likely would in the future, but not currently. I figure it's Simon Motorsports, but I called Monday and left a message which I never got returned so I tried today and the recording says it's no longer a good number. What the hell is up with Simon Motorsports? I even told Joe about it and he gave me the number he had which was the same.

12. Member
    I emailed Simon's. They are working on one but it's not out yet. Didn't give me any other info than that. Hopefully it's not needed. I'm pretty positive it won't be. If it is I'll just sell the motor and GO bigger.

13. Xpress Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2172Bay View Post
    I emailed Simon's. They are working on one but it's not out yet. Didn't give me any other info than that. Hopefully it's not needed. I'm pretty positive it won't be. If it is I'll just sell the motor and GO bigger.
    You sound a lot like me! I'm a hardcore Yamaha guy, and this is the first Merc I've ever owned. I to looked hard at the SHO, and the Merc won hands down on price and top speed. The Sho is faster out of the hole and on mid range, but the Merc will walk by it on top end. I'm extremely happy with my Merc, and would buy another in a heartbeat. Fuel economy is VERY good on this motor, and it's as smooth as silk.