What prop do I need?

I have a 2007 Triton tr20 X and it is paired with a 2007 225 Pro XS. I am currently running a 26P tempest plus and am turning 5800 rpm when running full throttle. I recently add two talons and another battery and the boat now takes awhile to get out of the hole. My top end is 66.7 mph with two people and tournament load. I am looking to pick up a better hole shot as well as speed. I am looking at getting a 25P fury and was wondering if this was the right decision.

2. Member
    What plugs are you running and what is the prop to pad mesurement?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Ledbetter View Post
    I have a 2007 Triton tr20 X and it is paired with a 2007 225 Pro XS. I am currently running a 26P tempest plus and am turning 5800 rpm when running full throttle. I recently add two talons and another battery and the boat now takes awhile to get out of the hole. My top end is 66.7 mph with two people and tournament load. I am looking to pick up a better hole shot as well as speed. I am looking at getting a 25P fury and was wondering if this was the right decision.
    I would get a Bravo1XS 2015 edition.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC, Jordan!

Please see the Announcements, and provide the required information (actually, all suggested information would be useful in this case).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    The distance between my prop and the back of my running pad on the bottom of the boat is 36 1/2". I currently have all of the vent plugs in my prop as well. The spark plugs I am running are Mercury IZFR6J

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Announcements
    When you post, it is very helpful if you will include the following (Items in RED are Required):

Engine Serial Number
    2. Year/Make/Model
    3. Prop you are Running
    4. Current Maximum RPM
    5. Idle and WOT Water Pressure Readings
    6. Smartcraft or Analog Instruments?
    The above information, from the Announcements, will help us to be able to accurately help YOU.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Serial number: 1B473684
    2007 Mercury 225 ProXS
    26 Tempest Plus
    Idle Water Pressure 4 psi
    WOT water pressure 19 psi

8. Member
    There are sm, med and large plugs for the Plus props. I bet you are running 3 large plugs. I would remove one and see if that helps your hole shot. The prop to pad is the mesurement from the bottom of the very back of the pad to the centerline of the propshaft. There is a how to thread maybe someone who has it handy will post a link. You might be able to raise motor a bit to improve the top speed.

The distance between my prop and the back of my running pad on the bottom of the boat is 36 1/2". I currently have all of the vent plugs in my prop as well. The spark plugs I am running are Mercury IZFR6J

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    --------

Serial number: 1B473684
    2007 Mercury 225 ProXS
    26 Tempest Plus
    Idle Water Pressure 4 psi
    WOT water pressure 19 psi
    Jordan:

Probably not much room to raise engine, as you're already at 19 psi water pressure (really want to maintain at least 18 psi).

While a 25P Fury would certainly perform well, I tend to agree that the Bravo-1 XS would be an excellent, all-around performer for this setup. 25P if you normally run LOADED, 26P if you normally run LIGHT.

That being said- you also need to check your Talons, and make sure they are NOT dragging in the water when sitting static/idle, OR during holeshot. Have someone video your boat from behind during holeshot... you might be surprised at what you see.

10. Member
    Today I went on the lake and removed one plug from the prop and it did improve my hold shot slightly. I ran out of time and did not have a chance to see what it is like if I remove another plug. The plugs I am running are the large plugs. Thanks for all of the help so far.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to report back after you've tried pulling another plug, and looked carefully at the other recommendations provided.