MPG - 2015 HD Trike

Not that this is of huge concern, but, it sure doesn't seem right.. HD advertizes 39MPG, but, the local HD store said a more realistic value would be 29 MPG. After my purchase she got around 210 miles per tank (6 gallons). After changing the ECM to a thunderMax, changing the air filter to an open Breather, and removing the catylic convertor my average tank value when to 170.. I then decided to change out the stock pipes for a set of reinharts and now she averages about 150 per tank.. I had thought these upgrades would help in performance and expected a drop in my mileage put not this much.. Any ideas or thoughts?
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

2. Member
    Yep, what your Upgrades did was allow more Fuel and Air to move through the engine giving more power and performance, but killed the fuel mileage.

My wife and I have two 2007 Heritages that we bought the same day. Hers is stock and mine has the Performance Upgrades (race tuner, Air Cleaner, Vance & Hines pipes). On a short run (read taking off from setting still) mine will blow hers away. Riding down the road like you will do most of the time, you won't see much difference. A little on acceleration when passing a vehicle.

She gets more miles per tank than I do and has all the power you will really ever need. If I had the option to do it all over again I would just add some Street Legal Mufflers to give it a little more rumble and leave the rest alone. Lots of money to sound louder and use more gas basically.

I ride hers every once in awhile and just think "why did I ever do all that". Hers purrs like a kitten and runs as smooth as silk.

Would think the ThunderMax could be dialed back some.. Really see this as the only thing that was a drastic step up or change.. Guess I could switch the ECM on the longer rides..

4. Member
    Ride it and smile! My Tri-Glide sucks on MPG. It's bone stock sans weight for chrome and LED's. It does OK around town for what it is but stretch it out at 75-80 MPH on the interstate and the MPG plummets. I have a 2012 and that was around the time HD put different gearing in them because the taller gears killed performance. You wanted more performance and you got it at the price of MPG. I think the stock set up performs pretty darn (for such a heavy bike) good except for the heat from the catalytic converter.

I normally refill when the gas gauge says range 60 miles, about a 1/4 tank and it takes 4 gallons or so. The gauge isn't linear. I've let it run down until the light comes on and it'll still have a gallon left in the tank.

Understand - i didn't buy it for the mileage, but, I wasn't expecting the changes to decrease it so much. In fact, I actually thought it would improve it some simce the darn thing could breath better.. She will run pretty dam good though - when she gets to 3K RPM's you can feel and hear her check in.. Its like the expansion chamber on a dirt bike..

6. Member
    CigarBasser if your up to it, bring over to Tulsa and I'll get it fixed up for you. I'm am in no way a fan of thundermax tuners. We run SE supertuner or powercommanderV. I'm a master tech, and shop foreman here at one of the local dealers in Tulsa, inbox me if you have any questions, would be happy to assist you if I could.

PM sent skippy

8. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    I did a stage 1 upgrade when I bought my 06. Never noticed any reduction in fuel usage. About 160 miles per tank at 70-75 mph. This is just me with my luggage on it. Before sturgis this year I did away with the junk cam chain tensioners and went with 510 S&S gear drive cams. With the wife on the back, saddle bags full and a very full Tbag on we got 142 miles used 3/4 of the tank. Don't think with just me I'll notice any difference but I can say the cam upgrade really woke it up.

Update: sent off a copy of the thunderMax's map.. They know what I am experiencing and want.. Should have an updated Map to load and we'll go from there. If not satisfied the ThunderMax will go back and I'll just put in the OEM nit and drive on.