Thread: Hickory Area?

Hickory Area?

The wife and I are thinking about moving closer to family. If we do I see it happening in the next 12-18 months. What's the bass fishing situation in the area. I know you got Wylie and Norman close. How is Lake James to the west and the Smaller local lakes up there?
    Last edited by JC25; 08-16-2015 at 04:55 PM.

lots of good fishing nearby, lake hickory, lookout shoals, Norman, Rhodhiss, james, kerr scott

Yeah the closest lakes are hickory,rohdhiss and lookout. They are small lakes but have big fish in them. James has smallmouth and can be fun at certain times but it is a tough fishery most of the time.

4. Member
    Ditto on the above mentioned lakes. Much to choose from!

What the forage base on these lakes? In KY and TN we mostly have thredfin and gizzard shad.

Mostly threadfin and gizzard. Hickory has alewives and some bluebacks but I'm not sure how much bluebacks are in the lake. Other lakes are mostly threadfin and gizzard shad. Norman has alewives and bluebacks too and has really come one the last few years.

Any week day/night pot tournaments? I fish a pretty competitive Tuesday night league on my home lake from 6-10pm. Draws 50 boats every week on a 3K acre lake.

Thank you for answering some questions guys.

There are weekly tx on about all of the mentioned lakes and lots of clubs around, plus Norman is a regular stop for bfl, and bass opens. Also a couple of good team trails that come through the area. You will find plenty of competition.

Yeah I fish some Tuesday night and Friday tournaments on hickory. I fish a Monday night one on rohdhiss. I know lookout a night tournament. Norman has night tournaments all through the week. Most of these average 10-20 boats. James has a Tuesday night tournament the averages 40-50 boats but very few fish are caught there but if you can manage a couple of fish you can win some good money.

Well it has come to pass... Two year in the making but I finally did it. We purchased a house in Mt View area off 321- River Rd exit. I'm still in Lou, KY selling my home (under contract) and working on a relocation package with my company that will have me working in Port Village area of Mooresville.

I'm looking forward to the fall. Lots of fishing and learning new water in my future. Spent a day on Hickory last weekend, looks like I'll need to learn how to skip docks proficiently. They are everywhere.
    Last edited by JC25; 08-07-2017 at 11:55 AM.

12. Member
    If you think Hickory has a lot of docks, wait until you get on Norman.

13. Banned
    ^^ That!

If you want to get away from docks Mt. Island between Norman and Wylie is mostly dock free. Yadkin chain of lakes are also excellent fisheries.

Thanks gents... In Ky and TN most all our lakes are Corp Lakes which are surrounded by public land up to a certain point called the red line. Not much in the way of dock fishing on these bodies of water. We do have a few marinas but they usually post no fishing signs. I'll embrace it, I am guessing it's most likely the best structure for bass in these lakes.

If anyone wants a ride to get on the water or a partner to fish a team event or even just to fun fish; let me know, I'd love to learn more about the area. I should be down fulltime in the next 30 days or so. I know right now is the worst time of the year to fish IMO. I'd much rather fish fall and winter.

Any trails or tournaments I should know if this fall?

15. Banned
    Denver Marine fall trail starts next month on Norman.

16. Member
    I'm in the Viewmont area, you go thru it to get to the lake, I don't bass fish much anymore, mostly crappie. Welcome to the area and if I can be of any help please let me know. Carl

Do you like to night fish? Hickory is a really good night fishing lake. Easy to run at night too.

18. Member
    Winter trail at Norman and lakeside marina every Saturday (9-2) on hickory after time changes. You can easily fish every weekend between Norman and Hickory. Check out Carolina Elite Series on Facebook, most tournaments are listed on there. There are some very good fisherman in this area and the competition is pretty stout. I think you'll find most guys are friendly and you will enjoy living here. There are also several flw and bass affiliated clubs in the area.

Yeah I like to night fish too in the summer months. I'll be working in moorsville this fall so I'll be crossing Norman every day on my way to work.

I'll be down this week spending some time at the new house. I hope to get out a few evenings and nights.