Thread: Fish ID?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. Member
    thanks again Wayne for your commitment to help others try and understand what we see on these graphs, you don't know how much we appreciate it ..

ONIX 3.000.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    SchWEET!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

4. Member
    Hey Wayne, can you get those fish ID's to bite my lure? ummm yeaaaaaa, that'd be great

5. Member
    ^^^^^

6. Member
    This is a great thread. Thank you Wayne for all the help you have provided. It seems like fish I.D. has went from a joke in the past to a very useful and important tool. I think I will be buying a Helix 7 SI G2N in the next few weeks and this thread gets me excited to get out on the water with it. I'm getting back into fishing and I'm not too worried about all the complaints I hear from people about loads of weeds floating around all over the water column in late summer making it hard to find fish. I will just turn on my HB fish I.D. and I will be seeing those salmon, trout, bass, walleye, etc.

I do have one question though. Will increasing the sensitivity decrease the size of the air bladder needed to assign a fish symbol to a fish, so I would be able to detect decent size crappie (9" or 10"+) and big bluegill with a fish symbol while ignoring the smaller gills and crappie?
    Last edited by October1; 03-23-2017 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by October1 View Post
    This is a great thread. Thank you Wayne for all the help you have provided. It seems like fish I.D. has went from a joke in the past to a very useful and important tool. I think I will be buying a Helix 7 SI G2N in the next few weeks and this thread gets me excited to get out on the water with it. I'm getting back into fishing and I'm not too worried about all the complaints I hear from people about loads of weeds floating around all over the water column in late summer making it hard to find fish. I will just turn on my HB fish I.D. and I will be seeing those salmon, trout, bass, walleye, etc.

I do have one question though. Will increasing the sensitivity decrease the size of the air bladder needed to assign a fish symbol to a fish, so I would be able to detect decent size crappie (9" or 10"+) and big bluegill with a fish symbol while ignoring the smaller gills and crappie?
    I don't adjust the FishID sensitivity and I don't look for small fish, have no idea if you can get smaller results with a Sensitivity change.

The smallest symbol is about a 1# bass, never dissected the different species to compare the air bladders.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Those images are done with 83/200 kHz to get both FishID colors and with Jigging Mode ON.

The Blue fish are in the 83 kHz coverage and the Gold fish are in the 200 kHz coverage.
    So am I understanding this correctly. Since the Blue fish were found using the 83hz coverage they would be further out since the cone from 83 hz sonar is larger than that of the 200hz. almost like 2 cones one being within the other and assigning colors to the objects within.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    So am I understanding this correctly. Since the Blue fish were found using the 83hz coverage they would be further out since the cone from 83 hz sonar is larger than that of the 200hz. almost like 2 cones one being within the other and assigning colors to the objects within.
    Yes....If the fish is in the 83 Khz beam but not the 200 ..... it is outside the 200 Khz beam and will be shown as blue.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

10. Member
    another quick question. The fish ID does not work on side scan correct ? Only traditional sonar?

11. Member
    Correct..... several years ago with the older core units you could switch from 2d with the fish Id on to the SI screen and the fish symbols would show in the SI screen. Kinda freaked me out the first time I saw it do that. So to answer your question..... No fish id on the si/di screens
    Last edited by ntslam; 04-05-2017 at 02:53 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    Correct..... several years ago with the older core units you could switch from 2d with the fish Id on to the SI screen and the fish symbols would show in the SI screen. Kinda freaked me out the first time I saw it do that. So to answer your question..... No fish id on the si/di screens

Well that sucks after learning on here how it works that would be a great feature. Maybe the side just isnt capable of the differentiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Well that sucks after learning on here how it works that would be a great feature. Maybe the side just isnt capable of the differentiation.
    You need a slow processor to get the symbols on the Imaging view, but they would only be what was on 2D before changing to Imaging-no new ones.

I got some symbols with the Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS on the SI view when checking the difference in how a ferrite ring affects RFI with different pass-throughs:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Banned
    Does the Helix 7 DI / sonar have the "jogging mode" option ?

Have a question...in the picture above for example, you're in 68.2 ft of water and scanning 90 ft si. Does that mean the very small bottom image to each side is the condensed 90 ft? Is the entire black to each side of the center line the water column directly under the boat? Does my question make sense?

16. Banned
    the black is the water column. the side distance includes the water depth.

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm still confused. So in that picture if there was a fish, say a group of 5 bass 45' to the right of the boat on the bottom, where would they be in that picture? I was under the impression that the black only represented the water column directly under the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Marky1 View Post
    Does the Helix 7 DI / sonar have the "jogging mode" option ?
    Core and Helix SI units have a Jigging Mode.

Jogging is a iPilot trolling motor function.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by dwoodfin View Post
    Have a question...in the picture above for example, you're in 68.2 ft of water and scanning 90 ft si. Does that mean the very small bottom image to each side is the condensed 90 ft? Is the entire black to each side of the center line the water column directly under the boat? Does my question make sense?
    Makes no difference what that screen shot shows, it is a fake occurrence--ignore it. Has nothing to do with FishID and 2D sonar.

It is a sort of glitch and is not a unit function.

Just an example of what ntslam mentioned.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Wayne, I'm referring to a si scan in general, not just that picture. If your in 60ft of water scanning 90ft and there's a group of fish 45ft to your right on the bottom where will they show on the screen? Will they show in the "black" or will they be over on the side where the bottom is displayed? This question really has nothing to do with the fish Id feature and I may be asking in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Makes no difference what that screen shot shows, it is a fake occurrence--ignore it. Has nothing to do with FishID and 2D sonar.

It is a sort of glitch and is not a unit function.

Just an example of what ntslam mentioned.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast