Thread: Fish ID?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dwoodfin View Post
    Wayne, I'm referring to a si scan in general, not just that picture. If your in 60ft of water scanning 90ft and there's a group of fish 45ft to your right on the bottom where will they show on the screen? Will they show in the "black" or will they be over on the side where the bottom is displayed? This question really has nothing to do with the fish Id feature and I may be asking in the wrong place.
    Side Imaging is Slant Range sonar. It displays what is within the SI pulses within the set SI Range.
    Anything somewhat below the transducer and above the bottom will be recorded in the water column (black areas). If a fish is not under the transducer but to the sides, it will be recorded the same way, but against the color background you choose. You won't know how far or how deep any of those are, they will be displayed as the distance from the transducer.
    You can get somewhat of an idea how deep by any shadows on the bottom they create (sonar cannot see through them). The farther a fish is from the shadow, the higher in the water column they will be.

This may help with the shadow deal:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

2. Banned
    I meant jigging . Thanks for clearing that up .

3. Member
    Wayne,

Does Fish ID work on your Onix using the chirp frequencies? And if so, do you how would you compare it to 83/200?

I understand the shadowing and such...what I'm not clear about is, referring to the screenshot again with the 60ft depth and the 90ft si, with the water depth being what it is, it takes up most of the screen with the "black" water column. There is only a small area left to each side that shows the bottom pallet. Is the 90ft of bottom condensed into this small area? Is there ANY way to actually identify fish that are out to the side of the boat, say 45ft on the bottom when the screen is like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Side Imaging is Slant Range sonar. It displays what is within the SI pulses within the set SI Range.
    Anything somewhat below the transducer and above the bottom will be recorded in the water column (black areas). If a fish is not under the transducer but to the sides, it will be recorded the same way, but against the color background you choose. You won't know how far or how deep any of those are, they will be displayed as the distance from the transducer.
    You can get somewhat of an idea how deep by any shadows on the bottom they create (sonar cannot see through them). The farther a fish is from the shadow, the higher in the water column they will be.

This may help with the shadow deal:

5. Member
    If bottom's at 60', and you have coverage set to 90', then the non-black-water-column area will cover the 30 feet (roughly, there's trigonometry involved) of bottom from dead-center below the boat, to about 30' off to the side of the boat. Remember that Trig! Draw a straight 90' line from your transducer, to the bottom, off to the side. Think of it like a 90' anchor rope. It's not going to be far off the side of the boat.

Trig! I hate math...never took trig, wouldn't have made it! That said, I'm still confused, may be a hopeless case! I'm thinking of the old video that Doug did explaining SI where he takes a print out of a screen shot and folds it along the center line of the boat and then folds it again on each side at the edge of the bottom pallet. Follow me? If you take a print out of the 60ft deep and 90ft wide SI screen shot and fold it likewise, then the 90ft of Side Scan is condensed into a one inch or so space.

7. Member
    I was going to suggest Doug's video...LOL If you took that image and printed it to scale, I'm not sure of the actual measurement of the paper but it would be 30ft based on 60ft depth and 90ft range. If you turned contour mode on, you would see 180ft of bottom with 90ft either side of boat line.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Haven't thought about the contour mode in that scenario. That simply eliminates the water column from the screen, correct? If you're scanning along a ledge in 30ft of water scanning 40ft, would it be best to use the contour mode? In order to be able to see the entire 80ft of bottom across the entire screen?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwoodfin View Post
    Haven't thought about the contour mode in that scenario. That simply eliminates the water column from the screen, correct? If you're scanning along a ledge in 30ft of water scanning 40ft, would it be best to use the contour mode? In order to be able to see the entire 80ft of bottom across the entire screen?
    what is the default setting on Fish ID and 2d sonar sensitivity for a helix 9 mega ?

Quote Originally Posted by skid00skid00 View Post
    If bottom's at 60', and you have coverage set to 90', then the non-black-water-column area will cover the 30 feet (roughly, there's trigonometry involved) of bottom from dead-center below the boat, to about 30' off to the side of the boat. Remember that Trig! Draw a straight 90' line from your transducer, to the bottom, off to the side. Think of it like a 90' anchor rope. It's not going to be far off the side of the boat.
    The best setting for the most detail is SI Range at three times the depth when deeper than 15'-20'. That will give you 1/3 of each side with the water column and 2/3 of each side with the bottom.

I use 50' SI Range when in less than 15' for more bottom coverage.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Banned
    Have never used fish id always was told to turn it off.Used fish id last time out on my Helix 10 & 7 and will be using it alot more.I was trolling seen the fish symbols pop-up when my lures caught up caught a nice brown trout and rainbows.Did not happen every time,but hey got a few.

12. GROWING OLD WITH GRACE DA TOAD's Avatar
    Is there a jigging mode on the ONIX?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

"Let's raise up our glasses against evil forces......Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses" - Toby Keith

Quote Originally Posted by DA TOAD View Post
    Is there a jigging mode on the ONIX?
    No

Jigging mode is a result of the ping sequence change on the number series SI units at the software level after 6.490.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Wayne, I have a 798CI SI combo on the bow and a 788CI HD DI on the console. I have not been able to see my line on either of the graphs when drop shot or jig. Do I need to turn up the sensitivity on the DI and SI enhance to be able to see the lure? Or are these units capable of showing this level of detail? Thanks for all the info you and others have provided on this thread. I continue to learn...

Quote Originally Posted by ejweaver View Post
    Wayne, I have a 798CI SI combo on the bow and a 788CI HD DI on the console. I have not been able to see my line on either of the graphs when drop shot or jig. Do I need to turn up the sensitivity on the DI and SI enhance to be able to see the lure? Or are these units capable of showing this level of detail? Thanks for all the info you and others have provided on this thread. I continue to learn...
    You need to use 2D sonar to see your presentation.

You won't be too successful keeping your presentation within the very narrow front to back coverage of Imaging, it's just a few inches.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    So just use the 2D (not DI ) with 83KHz selected? I assume I should increase sensitivity to maximize the visibility? Thanks, Wayne. Will try it next time out.

17. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    The new Solix 3.110 Software update which was recently posted supposedly has some improvements on FishID. Does anybody know what improvements they may have made? I haven't had a chance to use it with my new Solix 15 but on my Onix 10 FishID left a lot to be desired... Even with the fixes included in the previous 3.040 update.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    The new Solix 3.110 Software update which was recently posted supposedly has some improvements on FishID. Does anybody know what improvements they may have made? I haven't had a chance to use it with my new Solix 15 but on my Onix 10 FishID left a lot to be desired... Even with the fixes included in the previous 3.040 update.
    It broke what was fixed with the SOLIX and ONIX. They are aware of it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Are you saying that the new 3.110 version broke what had previously been fixed with the 3.040 version? If so, that's disappointing. Although it was certainly better on 3.040, there were still issues to be resolved.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

20. Banned
    used to use it now i never do

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast