Thread: Fish ID?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    The latest came on my unit the 7.650. So should i just give up on the cute lill fish symbols

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

I would ignore everything we have said about going backwards and forward with the software ..... Have a serious conversation with HB about the fish ID not working.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Ok. Thank you. I will take ur advise. Ill call them the
    Next time im on the water

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

So I called HB today, and was on hold for just a few minuets and the lady I Talked to was very nice. She thinks that My Garmin Unit up front was cross talking to my 999 in the back, which was messing with my depth reading in jigging mode. As far as the fish ID, I told her that I had the fish alarm set on the three fish symbols and my sensitivity set on 3. The Hb rep thinks I am not sensitive enough to pick up the fish and recommended me changing the setting to 6.

What do yall think? Again Im sorry to the OP for asking so many questions on his thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    So I called HB today, and was on hold for just a few minuets and the lady I Talked to was very nice. She thinks that My Garmin Unit up front was cross talking to my 999 in the back, which was messing with my depth reading in jigging mode. As far as the fish ID, I told her that I had the fish alarm set on the three fish symbols and my sensitivity set on 3. The Hb rep thinks I am not sensitive enough to pick up the fish and recommended me changing the setting to 6.

What do yall think? Again Im sorry to the OP for asking so many questions on his thread.
    I have never set the FishID Sensitivity less than the Default 5 which is what I use most of the time. I have increased it some a few times but have not seen any difference.

I don't use the alarm.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I've been using my units with the fish ID on and have noticed when vertical jigging that by bird's will think my jig and plastic is a fish and put that fish symbol on the screen. It only happens occasionally though.
    Helix 12 HW Gn2
    859 cihd DI
    Terrova 55 IPilot Link

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1955 View Post
    I've been using my units with the fish ID on and have noticed when vertical jigging that by bird's will think my jig and plastic is a fish and put that fish symbol on the screen. It only happens occasionally though.
    When your presentation became a FishID symbol, did you set the hook?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar

Probably too busy "watching TV", not that I've ever been "busted" like that......
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

9. Member
    Does either your jig or plastic have an air bladder?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    When your presentation became a FishID symbol, did you set the hook?
    Is this a joke Wayne? This has happened a couple times on each trip I take while vertical jigging. Usually on the upstroke of the jig.
    Helix 12 HW Gn2
    859 cihd DI
    Terrova 55 IPilot Link

Is this a joke Wayne? This has happened a couple times on each trip I take while vertical jigging. Usually on the upstroke of the jig.
    No it is no joke. Unless you released some trapped gas bubbles in the bottom with jig impact, your jig will not cause a FishID symbol.

Even a 10" bass won't get a FishID symbol
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

No it is no joke. Unless you released some trapped gas bubbles in the bottom with jig impact, your jig will not cause a FishID symbol.

Even a 10" bass won't get a FishID symbol
    I would guess that all the crappie in this school that did not get assigned a FishID symbol are a lot larger than your jig:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Banned
    Interference from my outboard causes fish symbols, so never say never

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    Interference from my outboard causes fish symbols, so never say never
    Yep, if you use one of those electronic jigs like Bill Dance used to endorse, there might be some RFI that would cause it.

Sound Bite was the product.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Were getting some cold weather here so I may not be out again until next spring but when I do I'll try and see if I can get this "phenomenon" recorded. I have some snapshots of walleye hitting my jig/plastic but didn't think of getting a snapshot of the bird showing my jig/plastic as a fish symbol. There was nothing on the screen but my jig/plastic in 25' of water and on the apex of a upward stroke the fish symbol appeared. Has happened more than once. I'm not sure if I was running 200 or 200/83.
    Any other explanations for this?
    I do jig within a foot of the bottom and a lot of the time I do let the jig hit bottom and or bounce it on the bottom.
    Helix 12 HW Gn2
    859 cihd DI
    Terrova 55 IPilot Link

16. Banned
    Yep, if you use one of those electronic jigs like Bill Dance used to endorse, there might be some RFI that would cause it.

Sound Bite was the product.

I still don't have fish symbols. I did everything HB recommend as far as setting and turning off my front FF. I was going to call them while I was on the water, but I figured there is no point due to high winds today. So what do yall think I should do?

18. Member
    Are you sure you are over large enough fish? Can you get a friend who uses Humminbird to go with you on a trip?

I went from one end of the lake to the other. Lake conroe is full of big fish.

Were getting some cold weather here so I may not be out again until next spring but when I do I'll try and see if I can get this "phenomenon" recorded. I have some snapshots of walleye hitting my jig/plastic but didn't think of getting a snapshot of the bird showing my jig/plastic as a fish symbol. There was nothing on the screen but my jig/plastic in 25' of water and on the apex of a upward stroke the fish symbol appeared. Has happened more than once. I'm not sure if I was running 200 or 200/83.
    Any other explanations for this?
    I do jig within a foot of the bottom and a lot of the time I do let the jig hit bottom and or bounce it on the bottom.
    I should also mention that with those snapshots of walleye hitting my jig and me catching them none of those fish were identified with a fish ID on my bird.
    After using fish ID I don't have very much confidence in it's accuracy. My opinion is based on actual usage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Freedom1955; 12-02-2015 at 07:38 AM.
    Helix 12 HW Gn2
    859 cihd DI
    Terrova 55 IPilot Link

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast