Champion 21 SX, performance and hull questions

2005 Champion 21 SX, Mercury 225 Opti,
    Is the hull on this boat off of another platform or specific for the fish and ski?
    if different how do these hulls perform, speed and ride wise.
    Last edited by Bassman53; 07-26-2015 at 09:48 PM.

2. Member
    The 21 SX is a 206 hull with fish and ski top cap. I have a 2005, nice boat. I Bought my Champion from Bob's Marine in Modesto.
    Last edited by Mike Esposito; 07-26-2015 at 03:29 AM.

3. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Check with VAFishing in the Virginia forum. He also has one and LOVES it!!!!

Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IBEW

5. Member
    5136633_20150626101252347_1_LARGE~2.jpg
    here is the one I am looking at.

6. Member
    I have an '05 21sx with a yamaha 225 hpdi and love it. Has everything on it you could want on a regular bassboat. 36 volt 101 lb minn kota, 2 networked touch 12's, linked engine data to touch 12 at console, reworked the console dash (used starboard and regular woodworking tools and looks factory) for the touch 12 to fit a touch 12 over the steering wheel in the dash and deleted all gauges except trim and fuel adding bezels from bassboat technologies (the rest, water psi, fuel rate, rpm, etc. comes from the digital data link anyway). Have not had a problem with the windshield. Does not prevent me from doing well in the tourneys. Although, others who get in my boat say that it does bother them. I guess it is all in what you are used to. I do get a little nervous flipping bushes and punching grass mats with heavy tungsten weights and missing bites and putting a tungsten weight through the glass. But in all I am very pleased.
    Performance, it depends on load; if I am fishing alone, I get a routine and steady 67 to 68 mph at 5900 rpm's. Have hit 71 but that is rare and with perfect conditions. In order to get these numbers you have to have the jackplate set correctly. This boat likes the plate way higher than you think it should be. Keep raising it until you lose water psi or speed and that is where it should be. You have to force the back of the boat down to get the necessary bow lift. I run a cupped yamaha 25t1. The cup of the prop is important to get bow lift.

If you have another person with you, it kills the performance. I can only get 63-64 mph at 5400 rpm. The added weight forces the bow down and the prop out of the water due to where it is set for fishing alone. This may be fixed with a hydraulic jackplate that you can raise or lower from the console and not the manual slide master that I have now. If you have any questions, I would be happy to help.
    Last edited by mparsley; 07-27-2015 at 05:33 PM.

7. Member
    Wow, great write up mparsley.
    How is the rod storage? Any pics of the work you have done to yours?

8. Member
    Rod storage is excellent. I can fit any rod a champ 206 can. I have been able to fit 7'6 rods. Haven't tried any longer than that. I will get some pics on. The 21sx has rod tubes in the center storage compartment but I mainly use the side compartments for rod storage and have no problem. As always, rod socks are a must. Also don't stick your rods two at a time in the center tube without rod socks on. Learned the hard way. I removed the center rod tube for that reason.

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I took some pix of a 07 21SX here locally for a guy and it didn't look like a bass hull to me at all, which I figured it would have.

10. Member
    It is a 206 hull.

11. Member
    Looking at both 206 and the 21sx, they appear to be the same. I really appreciate all the info mparsley, im going to look at it tomorrow. I think they have it over priced at $26k, but who knows.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    The 21SX is definitely built on the 206 hull. Best F&S ever, IMHO. They changed the style in 2008 with the 214. I believe that hull is no longer the 206 hull. They should have kept the 21SX!

Reggie, was that early 07 or late 07? Since they changed to the 214 for 08, maybe, if late 07, it was a cross-over?

13. Member
    How hi is hi for the jack plate to prop height.

Thanx Jon
    Last edited by jonl21sx; 08-02-2015 at 05:47 AM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    The 21SX is definitely built on the 206 hull. Best F&S ever, IMHO. They changed the style in 2008 with the 214. I believe that hull is no longer the 206 hull. They should have kept the 21SX!

Reggie, was that early 07 or late 07? Since they changed to the 214 for 08, maybe, if late 07, it was a cross-over?
    For what it's worth, I ordered my 21SX brand new in March of 07'. You're right Lea, that was the last year of the 21SX. The 2008 214 is a totally different boat.

15. Member
    Hey bought a Champion 21SX a couple months ago to replace my Cajun. What’s your trolling motor mount / setup?

16. Member
    I still have mine although I have gotten rid of the glass windshield and had custom built ones made that are more bassboat like. Also upgraded from a 225 Yammie to a 250 SHO. As far as the trolling motor I have kept mine with the original removable mount that was on it. I have a 80# Fortrex on it and it is rock solid. I fish a lot of shallow tidal water and like having the removable mount as i keep a spare ready to go and can swap out quick if I need to.

17. Member
    I absolutely love my 21SX, bought It new in 2005 and recently repowered with a Yamaha 250 SHO. Great rough water handling and now it’s a 70 plus MPH boat. Very comfortable and fished well. My family likes it too!