Why Talon or Why Power Pole?

I have been thinking about getting a Talon. Don't know if I'll do it - but I can see advantages of owning one considering the kind of fishing I do in Florida. It would not do me any good very often in Arkansas but in Florida I can see it being beneficial.

I was following a thread on the RT188 and there was a discussion about where and how to mount the PP oil reservoir and also about mounting the unit itself and brackets. I did not want to wreck his thread so I decided to ask this in a separate post.

My question is this, because I really don't know the answer.......why would you buy a Power Pole over a Talon if you were purchasing? I have not heard complaints about the Talon units and they have a pretty good depth range now. And they look to be easier to install. So why would a person fool with the hydraulics, and hoses and mounting a pump and all the headaches and extra things that can break? On a metal boat, it seems the Talon would be the way to go --- but I don't know for sure - so what would be the advantages of the Power Pole? Thanks.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

I frankly don't want either one mainly because I don't want to inflict that tall thing on my back seat fisherman. But if I did it would not be the Power Pole on a tin boat. In that RT your gonna have to dedicate one of your rear storage boxes to the reservoir. If you had the Evinrude you would already be giving up one of the rear storage boxes. I only see Power Poles on big glass boats around here.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 07-25-2015 at 07:21 PM.

3. Member
    On a tin I would personally choose a power pole. They weigh a lot less than a talon. But I can see the pump being a problem too taking up room

4. Banned
    3 years and no complaints with my Talon

5. Banned
    I chose the power pole over the talon after reviewing a BUNCH of reviews but 2-3 yrs ago Talon had tons of complaints about breaking and jamming. Power Pole didn't have that issue so I went that route. Plus it was cheaper to do so. I also didn't like the mounting options as there was NO WAY I was drilling holes in my transom. PP had mounting options I liked even though Mercury doesn't. Plus that's one of my projects for winter - relocate my pump to a storage box since eventually I'll probably add another power pole. Reason is like yours. I fish Louisiana as much as I can (so far maybe 4 times a year if nothing happens to me) BUT its perfectly suited for that environment since I can't physically exert myself much at all and I have not much sense of balance (from stroke).

But it seems Talon has been working on their issues they had and I've fished at the back of the boat, and have yet to see any issues with it being in the way. So its a personal choice - for you.

6. Member
    I chose the Talon because of easy installation, did it myself and cost 60 bucks to have the alarm wire hooked up. (It tells you if the Talon is down when you start the engine )

7. Member
    I absolutely love my Talon. If it were to break and not be under warranty ... I would buy another one.
    The hydraulic oil WILL get loose before it is over. Throughout the bilge or wherever the reservoir/pump happen to be placed.
    I have never had a single complaint from a co-angler about the Talon housing back there.

8. Banned
    I have the Talon and it works great. The only complaint is my model doesn't have a soft bottom mode and I wish it did. Mounted mine directly to transom, one reason was that's what minn Kota recommends and two I didn't see an issue with it. There is holes for outboard in transom and holes for transducers, swim/rescue ladders etc... Did it properly sealed with 3M 5200 boom 3 yrs not an issue. The power pole is way more involved in the install and has a pump that takes up room. Google search what a pp pump looks like when a line explodes, no a pretty sight.

I live in south Louisiana and wondered why no one uses Talons. one reason is dealers along the coast don't stock them. After asking around, quite a few people told me that Talons work too good in our clay/mud bottoms. It hammers the pole down and a suction is formed so tight that its difficult to get up. I was told this by 2 guys that have tried both. They advised me to use a Power Pole for the south Louisiana coastal bays and marshes. As for as pump placement in an RT-188, it doesn't have to go in a rear storage compartment. We covered all that last week. Do a search. A guy even put pics of the pump installed in the battery/bilge area. As for as mounting the Power Pole itself, there are a few options. Straight to the transom, mounted on a bracket that sandwiches between motor and transom, mounted on a bracket that attaches to a jack plate, and Ranger even has a bracket just for the RT series boats. Personally I think the cleanest Install is straight to the transom. I have no problem at all drilling 4 holes and sealing bolts with 3M 5200. Like someone said earlier, you have 4 bolts for a motor, numerous bolts for a boarding ladder, through hull fittings, transducer screws, pump intakes,etc. , all passing through the transom with a marine sealant. As for the original question I think the Talon and Power Pole are great products. I never had either one so I asked and read so I could make a decision as to which one would work best for my area. We used what folks now call a "Cajun Anchor" for years. Works great. Just a 3/4 in. stainless shaft about 4 ft. long that you throw into the water and it will go through 10 feet of water and stick in the bottom. works great, but you have to clean the clay/mud off by hand every time you pull it up. I know!, I know!, It's time to get with the modern times. I'm still on the fence about installing anything. Might just fish with the boat awhile and make sure an anchor such as a Power Pole or Talon is something I really want.

Jimco...
    I think we are sitting on the same fence...
    I had no idea about the Talon forming a suction to the bottom. I have never heard of that before. It might do the same thing in the Florida muck and mud... And I did follow a thread about the pump placement...

I am trying to decide what to do. I have one of the pole anchors that I hardly ever use --- and mainly I use a regular anchor and rope IF (big IF) I need to stay in one place.... One of my issues with whether to spend the money is that I VERY SELDOM stay put. When I am fishing I am almost always standing or sitting and my foot is usually ALWAYS on the trolling motor pedal. I seldom ever cast in the same area for very long. If I get a fish or two in the area I usually troll around a tight circle and work it but hardly ever stay in one exact spot. I am just not sure I need one. And is a lot of money for something that sits there...

If I did need one and decided to jump up and do it, and sometimes I make a quick decision and jump right in.....I wanted to know any advantages of the PP...Vs. Talon ---- I could wake up and decide to install one at any time - or not.
    I just could not see what the advantages were to the Power Pole with all the extra stuff involved. It just seemed to me the Talon was made with a rule I try to live by most of the time ---
    KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid.
    Thats why I asked WHY DO some people buy the PP....

Thanks.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

11. Member
    I don't have a bit of trouble with the Florida muck/mud.
    Most of my time is spent moving, but the Talon is dropped whenever I hook a nice one, etc.
    I have a foot control for it immediately beside my trolling motor pedal.
    Wouldn't have another bass boat without one.

I hardly ever bass fish. Crappie fishing and bream fishing there are situations where a power pole or talon would come in handy. When Redfishing, if the wind is not blowing I like to beat the banks with a gold spoon or a spinner bait on the troll motor , if the wind is blowing I like to anchor at cuts and points and a power pole or talon would also come in handy. But where I could really use one is in the fall when the speckled trout move into the inland lakes and during the winter when I troll trough flooded cypress trees along lake shores throwing a popping cork at the base of the cypress trees catching catfish. When I get in them good, a power pole or talon would be useful. Sooo, I just got to decide if I really want one and which one do I want.

Looks like a 2 day sale on Talons at a Minn Kota factory outlet store.

Minn Kota Talon Anchors

14. Member
    I wish I had the coin to put two twelve footers on the back of my boat.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

15. Member
    I think you will be happy w either. I have twin PP's on both my boats. Main reason is I just hated fishing out of someone's boat with Talons. I couldn't side arm throw like I wanted to without them getting in the way. With PP's you can just let them half way down and they are out of the way. Works great if you are going into a low garage also. No stupid expensive axtra bracket you have to buy.

The pumps are really easy to install and can be installed in no time. And are pretty light and don't take up a lot of space. I like the brks they mount to also without drilling your transome. No way in hell i was going to drill mine when i didnt have to. But I think both are great products.
    2009 Tracker PT190
    80lb Xi5
    Dual Power Poles
    6inch Plate
    HDS
    Stainless ComancheSteering wheel
    Stainless pop-up tiedowns
    Comanche Passenger rodholder
    Boat Buckle Rod Straps
    JBL Stereo with JBL10" Marine Sub.
    150 ProXS, 25 Trophy Plus, 72mph GPS (light), 24 Fury @68mph (heavy)

16. Member
    The main reason I lean more twords power pole is the same as stated above by turbocoupe. If the situation comes up where you need clearance you can let the power pole down. I know quite a few places I fish here in south louisiana involve going under some low bridges no way your doing that with a 10' talon. Also low limbs or just for the convenience of a co angler if they need it. Personally I just like the looks of the power pole. The talon just looks big and bulky on a boat this small to me at least.

17. Member
    I am leaning towards getting the power pole blades on mine
    buddy has them and says best thing he has added but I am going to read up on them before I get them

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Downshot View Post
    The main reason I lean more twords power pole is the same as stated above by turbocoupe. If the situation comes up where you need clearance you can let the power pole down. I know quite a few places I fish here in south louisiana involve going under some low bridges no way your doing that with a 10' talon. Also low limbs or just for the convenience of a co angler if they need it. Personally I just like the looks of the power pole. The talon just looks big and bulky on a boat this small to me at least.
    You can get a tilt bracket for the Talon

As far as the muck, I've heard the muck in the south is pretty bad. We have it bad up here, but I don't know how it compares. In the SI pic, at the top to the right of the centerline, in the shallower water, you can see 2 vertical lines. Those are in the muck and made from props. There are areas in the lake where there are literally hundreds of these lines criss-crossing the bottom. Tells me the muck is pretty thick. Also, in the 2d image you can see the double return. The top of the muck and the bottom of the muck are both visible. I've never had an issue with the Talon not retracting.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. One other thing to take into consideration is the ease of removal. The talon can be brought into your hotel room when traveling. The PP not so much.
    Last edited by slonezp; 07-27-2015 at 06:45 PM.

19. Member
    I use the tilt bracket on my power-pole also it is the only minn kota product I use. When making my chose I looked up some videos on youtube and the overall toughness of the power-pole won out.
    Luck favors the prepared ; Louis pasteur

Quote Originally Posted by Downshot View Post
    This has always been the reason I have liked the power poles plus to me they are cleaner more streamlined looking. The talons are better but they are still very large looking IMO. They install much easier as far as space needs especially for aluminum boats. Another think i like about the power poles is get the drift paddle and you can use them in dee water to. I have watched videos on them and they will almost stop the boat even in the wind. I was impressed. Cant do that with the talon.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.