4 Bank charger working right?

I have a 2008 Dual Pro Triton 4 bank charger. The lights on bank 1 don't light but in the morning the green will be lit up like it charged. It's hard to tell if it charged because it's on the STARTING battery and that thing gets a lot of juice from the 225 Optimax. I did have the HDS 5 blink on me the at the end of a tournament day and that makes me think the battery didn't get a full charge. How can I test the bank properly before I shop around for a new charger? Thanks Mark

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Get a voltmeter and check voltage on the battery when you get home from fishing. While watching the voltage, plug the charger in. You should see a rise in voltage up to about 14.7V. It may not get to 14.7 right away, depending on how far down the battery is. The rise will be proportional to how deeply discharged the battery is. It could go up right away, or it could take hours. Then after it finishes charging and the green light comes on, the voltage should drop down to 13.1-13.3V for a while, and then the charger may shut off until the next day when it will come back on and check the battery.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Thanks, I knew this can't be the first time somebody asked the question. Someone said to take leads off bat. and touch both ends on a voltmeter. Would one of those 2 prong with the little wires out bottom and a light work good enough? There seems to be some output but maybe not %100 like new. mm

4. Banned
    That wouldn't work, do it like CatFan said. You're wanting to know IF the charger works.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Mariner View Post
    Thanks, I knew this can't be the first time somebody asked the question. Someone said to take leads off bat. and touch both ends on a voltmeter. Would one of those 2 prong with the little wires out bottom and a light work good enough? There seems to be some output but maybe not %100 like new. mm
    As said above, follow Catfan's instructions, use a voltmeter, if you want to know if the charger is working. If you don't have a voltmeter, you can pick one up for less than $5.00 at a Harbor Freight. If the charger leads are not connected, there is no output from the charger.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Thanks guys. Hey Jones, do you sell new 4 bank Dual Pro (or whatever that company calls itself now). Will you send me a price on a 4 bank charger with 10 amps per bank? The Min Kota may not fit in the space I have. The Triton Dual Pro fits perfect. mm