Trim Issues with my 2004 Mercury EFI

Hey BBC,

I have confused as could be when it comes to my latest trim issue on my 2004 Merc. 200HP EFI. When I go to trim up there is a delay from when I engage to when it starts any movement, but I can hear the solenoid in between. I thought it might be an electrical, which is still very well could, but this occurs both from the motor and console triggers. The other confusing this about my situation is that the trim down works perfectly fine. My first thought was replacing the trim fluid, but wouldn't both up and down be acting up if it were a fluid issue?

Any help whatsoever would be awesome and thanks in advance,

Nick M.
    NorthStar Custom Baits

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Sticky at the top of the forum, and provide your Engine Serial Number when posting. Thanks!

I would suspect one of the following:
    -Weak, improperly rated, discharged, or improperly connected battery

-Poor ground or power connections for the Trim Relay Harness

-Faulty Relays (replace BOTH at the same time)

-Weak or failing trim motor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I just had the same problem with my 01 200 EFI. What I found was the plug wasn't properly seated in the relay switch. Cleaned everything up applied small amout of di-electric cream and snapped it back together. Been working ever since.

4. Member
    Thanks guys! Is the relay switch located inside the motor? or battery compartment? Haven't had to deal with those yet.
    NorthStar Custom Baits

5. Banned
    Please read the sticky post http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-mot...al-number.html but its under the cowl

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There is no "relay switch".

There are trim/tilt switches (cowling, control handle, and possibly bow and/or blinker trim).

There are RELAYS located under the engine cowling.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor