Punching for ND largemouth

Here's a video from last weekend during a tournament on Sheep Creek Dam. We caught every fish except one by punching mats the entire day. We didn't catch many but we caught the right ones that put us in 2nd place at the end of the day and 5 ounces from the win.

Sorry for the video quality. I normally leave the quality at 720 HD when exporting but I clicked "youtube" to see what would happen. Apparently, it eliminates HD in the video. That would have been good to know.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

2. Member
    Man, you ain't just whistling Dixie, that wind was blowing.

3. Member
    Awesome video man....

5. Member

Cool vid. Those aren't punching mats around here. We call that cheese and we drag frog on em. Mats here are much, much denser and takes every bit on 1 1/2 ounces to punch through.
    Support 81

7. Member
    For some reason I can't see the video, what kind of grass are you fishing? A local lake has loads of very dense curly pond weed. I haven't tried punching yet, but think it might be to thick to punch. I bought a few weights and am thinking about targeting the thinner spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Revoke36 View Post
    Cool vid. Those aren't punching mats around here. We call that cheese and we drag frog on em. Mats here are much, much denser and takes every bit on 1 1/2 ounces to punch through.

It's funny that you say that because I swear I'm the only person that day that could not get a bite on a frog.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Adrian View Post
    For some reason I can't see the video, what kind of grass are you fishing? A local lake has loads of very dense curly pond weed. I haven't tried punching yet, but think it might be to thick to punch. I bought a few weights and am thinking about targeting the thinner spots.
    In this video there's that slimy green moss that mats up over the top of some type of pond weed. Coontail maybe? If you have dense grass that has a canopy with at least 1 foot of water beneath it then you can definitely punch it. The size of your weight is going to depend on the sickness of the grass. I use the one else in this video but I've used as heavy as an ounce and a half in North Dakota

Cool

cool stuff