Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

gatorbak trailer bunks

Has anybody switched from carpet? looking for some Pros and Cons. I want to help prevent potential hull blisters if possible.
    Last edited by Walleye1875; 07-18-2015 at 06:58 PM.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

2. Member
    They work great....just get them completely wet when loading and no different than carpet...had hull blisters on my 2009 ranger, got them fixed and carpet off the bunks...they don't hold the silt and sand that carpeted bunks do either...

[B][I]Jeff

Got some to put on my boat , just got to get it done ..

Give mikesxpress on the potomac board a shout. He switched over to them and he swears by them.

5. Member
    Put them on my 521C. I only did it because I was paranoid about blisters. Only downside is you want very little of your bunks out of water. If you have to much hanging out you will create enough friction that the bunk material will transfer to your boats hull. It does come off your hull easily. I get a new boat every two to three years, my next Ranger will not have these.
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

6. Banned
    MW,
    Why?expensive, funny wear....why passing next go around!

I think he is saying since he gets a new boat every couple years it's not worth it.

I will most likely be ordering mine. Can't be any worse than carpet. I vacuum my bunks and you would be amazed the sand that comes out. If anything I'll have less scratches from loading. I can deal with rubbing a mark off the hull.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

8. Member
    Carlos. I only purchased the bunks to combat the supposed blister issue. It seems that the newer models are not having the problem.
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

9. Member
    Midnite- with the gatorbaks, I cannot power load the boat on the trailer. My middle bunks are out of the water about 10". Once I get the boat up to that point I have to go up to the front, lock the winch strap to the hull eye and then drive my truck forward enough that the hull will then be above roller. Then get back into the boat and winch the rest of the way onto trailer. Much easier to power on carpeted bunks.
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MakingWaves View Post
    Midnite- with the gatorbaks, I cannot power load the boat on the trailer. My middle bunks are out of the water about 10". Once I get the boat up to that point I have to go up to the front, lock the winch strap to the hull eye and then drive my truck forward enough that the hull will then be above roller. Then get back into the boat and winch the rest of the way onto trailer. Much easier to power on carpeted bunks.
    i have no problems powering on with my 198vx and gatorbaks. I also dunk them completely and then pull them out of water a tad...eliminates the gatorbak residue from my hull that way...I think if I bought a new Ranger I would still switch out the carpet at this point. $300 bucks or so seems like cheap insurance...only way I wouldn't is if Ranger would warranty against blisters for 5-10 years....I was close to pulling the trigger on a 2010 520 ranger until I asked the dealer to inspect the hull and sure enough their were blisters under it...they sold that boat about two weeks later and I'm sure the new owner never asked, and was never told about the hull...

[B][I]Jeff

11. Member
    I put gatorback on this winter
    havnt had a single problem

black material on my black hull
    2014zx200
    plan on keeping it for a long time & worried about blisters

i lagged them with stainless lag bolts

buddy took it one step further

put carriage bolts under the gatorback (counter sunk)
    and nylock nuts-that'll keep me good & tight

if my lags wiggle loose(most likely will)
    ill also counter sink carriage bolts

cost me like $200 for my skeeter

money well spent

++++not hauling so much aquatic vegetation/invasive species from lake to lake

12. Member
    Jeff, I also fully submerge mine as well but if your by yourself by the time you get back into the boat to drive it on, the water has pretty much run off the bunks. The gatorbaks are a great substitute for carpet, just wish they were made from a different material.
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

13. Member
    If power loading is an issue because of the forward most 10-12" of gator bunk, couldn't you just spray that last foot with a tiny bit of Armor All or or even a bit of soapy water just before loading? That certainly doesn't seem like it would have much of a negative effect on anything else...
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

I don't have any issues power-loading but the gatorbaks do leave a mark on the bottom of the boat from time to time. It's easy to remove.. Haven't tried dunking the gatorbaks completely before loading though.. I bought the boat used with them already installed, however, I would recommend them and use again when that time comes..
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

15. Member
    I submerge mine completely, but only leave about 2-3 inches of bunk out of water and am able to power load. I could see if you are leaving 10-12 inches out that maybe some residue is left on the hull...on occasion I've had the residue but it wipes off very easily...

[B][I]Jeff

I had a few marks on my black hull but they buffed out. Im sure tgere are some under the bunks. I do completely submerge my trailer then I pull up a little bit

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

17. mikesxpress
    I had been power loading my boats since the 80's and just made some minor adjustments by backing in a little further to accommodate the Gatorbak bunks. Not a big deal and I guess it saves a little wear/tear on the trailer? Here is a link to the "how to load" with Gatorbak. 10 minute ride home from the ramp and the bunks are dry.

Customer Installations

18. Member
    I have tried everything I know but can't find anyway to
    load
    my
    Boat without a lot of trouble. Thinking of putting my carpet back on
    And taking this as a lesson learned.

I have read through a lot of the posts, but haven't found any specifically on aluminum boats. Does anyone have any reviews or insight?

20. Member
    Im not sure im understanding completly.

Many (including the gatorbak website) say not to unstrap your boat before boat is in the water to make sure boat doesn't slide off on steep ramps (dry). Now people are saying, they cant power load because the bunks are 10 inches above water ?

HUMMMMMMMM?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast