Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just ordered a new 2016 RT188!

First boat (that I personally own) and getting back into fishing after not seeing much action for 8-10 years. Now I'll have to make time :)

Super excited, my order is going in at the Ranger dealer meeting and hopefully they can start on it sooner than later. Free aluminum wheel upgrade too (show order special I guess). I posted the other week for feedback and thanks to your suggestions I nailed down a pretty good configuration, at least to start.

Two big remaining questions are:

- What electronics? Might not do factory install since I can procure some Lowrance product way below dealer/factory cost and also not sure what size units I want yet (and how best to mount)
    - Power Poles or Talons
    - MercMonitor (to feed data to whatever FF/Sonars I get...needs to be Level 2 I believe?)

Here are the specs:

- 2016 Ranger RT188
    - Charcoal Metallic Color
    - Single Console
    - Mercury 115 ELPT Fourstroke
    - Dual Pro® On-Board Charger 15 x 3
    - Battery w/ Holder / TM (2 Each)
    - Front Deck Rod Strap (Extra)
    - Automatic Bilge Pump (Replace Standard)
    - Recirculating Livewell
    - Stainless Steel Boarding Ladder
    - Ranger Custom Boat Cover (for now)
    - Stainless Steel Prop
    - 4 Inch Hydraulic Set-Back Plate - TH Micro Jacker
    - Retractable Trailer Tie Downs
    - Aluminum Wheel Upgrade
    - Trailer Brakes
    - Aluminum Spare
    - Minn Kota Fortrex 80 US 45 Inch TM

Thoughts? Anything I need to be immediately aware of once the boat arrives? Any must-have upgrades/tweaks you'd recommend?

Pumped but I know the next 6-12 weeks are going to crawl by.

Congrats the Jenson blue tooth stereo is a nice option I got it on my z117 and love it I believe it was only a few hundred dollars

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

3. Member
    Congratulations...... Sleeping will be difficult now!

Congrats Looks like you've got things covered but I would keep the standard bilge pump and add the automatic one wired straight to battery, never can be too safe. Also, it's hard to beat Ranger's covers. Like said above, good luck sleeping now.

Congratulations - I know you will be pleased with the fishing platform. You did a good job with the accessories. My RT188 is a 2014 and some of those choices were not available but I have added them since. Not sure of your age, but I would have included the front deck step but I am an old dude. I also added the pro-pole and Butt seat for the front. I definitely recommend the MercMonitor: I added one to mine. I have the Level one and have it networked to my HDS9's console and bow. You will need a NMEA 2000 starter kit and an extra tee to make this hookup. I started with an HDS7 flush mounted in the dash and later upgraded to the HDS9 Touch mounted on a Precision Sonar bracket. BTW - Unless something has changed, the automatic bilge does have a feed directly from the battery. It can also be operated manually from a switch on the console.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

6. Banned
    congrats!!!!

7. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Congrats, you will love it. They are awesome fishing machines ...........................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Congratulations - I know you will be pleased with the fishing platform. You did a good job with the accessories. My RT188 is a 2014 and some of those choices were not available but I have added them since. Not sure of your age, but I would have included the front deck step but I am an old dude. I also added the pro-pole and Butt seat for the front. I definitely recommend the MercMonitor: I added one to mine. I have the Level one and have it networked to my HDS9's console and bow. You will need a NMEA 2000 starter kit and an extra tee to make this hookup. I started with an HDS7 flush mounted in the dash and later upgraded to the HDS9 Touch mounted on a Precision Sonar bracket. BTW - Unless something has changed, the automatic bilge does have a feed directly from the battery. It can also be operated manually from a switch on the console.
    Thanks for the additional details. I'm 32 so I'm not too worried about the front deck step...right now anyways. If it had a small cooler compartment inside I probably would have done it though, but just by itself...I'd prefer the flexibility of the open space.

On the MercMonitor, do you get all the data you want from the Level 1? I'm not sure of the key difference between that and a Level 2. Want to make sure I can take full advantage of the engine data.

Can an HDS 9 be mounted into the center console? Doesn't look big enough, but I'd like a clean install if possible instead of a side mount. Is there any advantage to the side mounts I should be aware of?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianFLA View Post
    Congrats the Jenson blue tooth stereo is a nice option I got it on my z117 and love it I believe it was only a few hundred dollars
    I would have added something like that but doesn't seem to be a factory option on this boat...bummer. I'd prefer not to add things like that outside of the factory, but we'll see.

10. Member
    Thanks everyone...I'll post pics when it arrives and maybe capture some break-in video too!

11. Member
    Congratulations on a awesome fishing machine! The only thing you might want to add is a power pole.

Quote Originally Posted by ckeck View Post

On the MercMonitor, do you get all the data you want from the Level 1? I'm not sure of the key difference between that and a Level 2. Want to make sure I can take full advantage of the engine data.

Can an HDS 9 be mounted into the center console? Doesn't look big enough, but I'd like a clean install if possible instead of a side mount. Is there any advantage to the side mounts I should be aware of?
    Yes the level 1 provides all the info I want and has a NMEA 2000 output so it can communicate with the HDS units. I don't know all the features of the various levels but I do know that the Basic model cannot communicate with the HDS units. I bought mine from European Marine (Board Sponsor) and Don Weed designed a kit containing all the components to meet my needs. He also talked me through the installation. I don't have any experience with Hummingbirds but the largest Lowrance HDS that can be flush mounted is the 7 inch. I too did not want a side mount and this led to me starting with a flush mounted HDS7 but later I upgraded to an HDS9 Touch and used a Precision Sonar dash mount so I could keep it on the dash. I included a picture of both so you can see the mounting arrangement.Attachment 188003Attachment 188004

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

13. Member
    If u r considering power poles I would go with the Talons, no pumps to take up space.

14. Member
    First boat (that I personally own) and getting back into fishing after not seeing much action for 8-10 years. Now I'll have to make time :)

Super excited, my order is going in at the Ranger dealer meeting and hopefully they can start on it sooner than later. Free aluminum wheel upgrade too (show order special I guess). I posted the other week for feedback and thanks to your suggestions I nailed down a pretty good configuration, at least to start.

Two big remaining questions are:

- What electronics? Might not do factory install since I can procure some Lowrance product way below dealer/factory cost and also not sure what size units I want yet (and how best to mount)
    - Power Poles or Talons
    - MercMonitor (to feed data to whatever FF/Sonars I get...needs to be Level 2 I believe?)

Here are the specs:

- 2016 Ranger RT188
    - Charcoal Metallic Color
    - Single Console
    - Mercury 115 ELPT Fourstroke
    - Dual Pro® On-Board Charger 15 x 3
    - Battery w/ Holder / TM (2 Each)
    - Front Deck Rod Strap (Extra)
    - Automatic Bilge Pump (Replace Standard)
    - Recirculating Livewell
    - Stainless Steel Boarding Ladder
    - Ranger Custom Boat Cover (for now)
    - Stainless Steel Prop
    - 4 Inch Hydraulic Set-Back Plate - TH Micro Jacker
    - Retractable Trailer Tie Downs
    - Aluminum Wheel Upgrade
    - Trailer Brakes
    - Aluminum Spare
    - Minn Kota Fortrex 80 US 45 Inch TM

Thoughts? Anything I need to be immediately aware of once the boat arrives? Any must-have upgrades/tweaks you'd recommend?

Pumped but I know the next 6-12 weeks are going to crawl by.
    Are you going to order that new Trailer Step that they showed at the Dealer Meeting ? If so how much was the option ? I want to order it for my 2015 RT188

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSantaRosa View Post
    Are you going to order that new Trailer Step that they showed at the Dealer Meeting ? If so how much was the option ? I want to order it for my 2015 RT188
    Are you referring to the trailer step accessory on the front of the trailer? If so my dealer (who was out there) said it looked pretty bad and not at all necessary, at least on the RT's. Not sure if he was referring to just overall fit/finish or the fact that it's just something mounted onto the trailer and not really built as part of it.

Either way I didn't opt for it right now so I'm not sure about the cost. I may be able to find out though.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    If u r considering power poles I would go with the Talons, no pumps to take up space.
    Yup, I've been doing some reading the past couple of days and Talons are the direction I'm leaning right now. Hope they can be mounted and not interfere with the stainless boarding ladder which might get used here and there for some (minor) recreational activities.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Yes the level 1 provides all the info I want and has a NMEA 2000 output so it can communicate with the HDS units. I don't know all the features of the various levels but I do know that the Basic model cannot communicate with the HDS units. I bought mine from European Marine (Board Sponsor) and Don Weed designed a kit containing all the components to meet my needs. He also talked me through the installation. I don't have any experience with Hummingbirds but the largest Lowrance HDS that can be flush mounted is the 7 inch. I too did not want a side mount and this led to me starting with a flush mounted HDS7 but later I upgraded to an HDS9 Touch and used a Precision Sonar dash mount so I could keep it on the dash. I included a picture of both so you can see the mounting arrangement.Attachment 188003Attachment 188004

Thanks for the follow-up. Good to know the Level 1 seems to provide everything. Not sure the dealer has done many of these so I'll probably need to give them a checklist. I see you replaced one of the gauges with the SmartCraft gauge. Which one did you pull? Wasn't sure if you could get away without that and just have the NEMA 2000 output, but looks like it's tied to the SmartCraft gauge.

Regarding the HDS units, would love to mount a 12" at the console somewhere but for fit/finish I'm still leaning towards something on the main console so I'll definitely look at one of these mounts so I can go with at least a 9". I like the look of the flush mounted 7" but I think I'll kick myself later if I don't get something a bit bigger.

Suggestions for a mount to install a front unit? I've seen them mounted countless ways so figured I'd see what works well. I know I'll need to run an Ethernet cable between the two for data/map sharing if I go the HDS route but that shouldn't be a big issue. Security on these as well?

18. Member
    Your going to LOVE it!!!! I know it will seem like an eternity but it will be worth the wait.

19. Member
    Suggestions for a mount to install a front unit? I've seen them mounted countless ways so figured I'd see what works well. I know I'll need to run an Ethernet cable between the two for data/map sharing if I go the HDS route but that shouldn't be a big issue. Security on these as well?
    BBT a board sponsor makes a 2 and 4 inch angle mount that fits on the front of your boat for bow mounting your electronics, use those like crazy at our shop and he also has a console mount for electronics.
    Last edited by CaymasRodney; 08-23-2015 at 12:20 PM.

20. Precision Sonar
    Last edited by rkylake; 07-19-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Precision Sonar & Outdoors
    Home of the Patented Smart Bracket Console Mounting System
    email: ryank@precisionsonar.com
    phone: 270-703-6133

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast