Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Time Towing Advice

We just purchased a 27' Keystone Springdale, our first camper. I have "Camper Class" tomorrow and we plan on pulling it down to SC on Saturday. That being said, this is my first time pulling a camper. Any advice is welcome.....and needed.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ncbass View Post
    We just purchased a 27' Keystone Springdale, our first camper. I have "Camper Class" tomorrow and we plan on pulling it down to SC on Saturday. That being said, this is my first time pulling a camper. Any advice is welcome.....and needed.
    The most important this is to make sure the tires are in good shape. sure do not want to have a blow out on your first trip. talk to the people you bought the camper from to give you a report on the tire condition. What are you towing the camper with? Until you get use to pulling the camper just take your time and get the feel of the weight behind you going down the road. I would get in the slow lane and keep a steady speed and stay in your comfort zone till you get use to pulling the camper.

3. Member
    Make sure you set the brake controller properly before heading out. You want just enough brake to help you stop but not to lock down.

2016 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, 250 PRO XS
    Shawn Willoughby

Drive a speed you are comfortable at (I usually do 65 max) Do not worry about who is behind you or if you are holding them up. They will get around when they can. Watch for big trucks coming up behind you. If they are traveling faster, they have a tendency to cause a little sway. DO NOT over correct. Do not rely solely on GPS. Check Google maps etc to check your route. GPS can take you down a road you shouldn't be on. Don't over pack. Finally, camping is supposed to be fun, relax and enjoy the time
    "I see dead people"

Quote Originally Posted by TightLip View Post
    Drive a speed you are comfortable at (I usually do 65 max) Do not worry about who is behind you or if you are holding them up. They will get around when they can. Watch for big trucks coming up behind you. If they are traveling faster, they have a tendency to cause a little sway. DO NOT over correct. Do not rely solely on GPS. Check Google maps etc to check your route. GPS can take you down a road you shouldn't be on. Don't over pack. Finally, camping is supposed to be fun, relax and enjoy the time
    +1. I did this on my first time last year. It was about a 75 mile one way type trip. Big rigs coming up from behind affect the wind flow around the trailer and causes some sway. Make little corrections and it will be fine. My next hardest task was backing into a spot, camper is way bigger than a boat so I had to adjust my turn angles. But take your time and it will be fun!

Know what your max height on the trailer is and watch for low bridges, especially on 2 lane roads.

Quote Originally Posted by sorrybasser View Post
    Know what your max height on the trailer is and watch for low bridges, especially on 2 lane roads.
    And the awnings over gas pumps when you fill up.

It is going to take a lot longer to stop. Make sure you leave PLENTY of room and have a properly setup brake controller. Also, the camper probably cut corners more than your boat.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    Your axles may be close to the same location as a 21' boat, but you have 8' to 10' behind the axles. Give it plenty of room to kick around, till you get used to it. If your tow Vic vehicle does not have tow mirrors get some clamp on. Or check junk yards for factory tow mirrors. I suggest just driving it around some close to home and get used to pulling it. Like how much you need to swing over for turning, so you don't clip a curb. Where to center on narrow roads. You may be used to a boat trailer as wide, but that box is wide from front to rear and blocks your view. Nothing like meeting traffic on a narrow road with mail boxes all the way to the edge of the road. Or having to back trailer into a side road to turn around.

9. Member
    Thanks so far for the info, my tow vehicle is an '08 Tundra 5.7 with extended mirrors. Went for my walk thru today and had the electric brake controller installed on the truck. We also got an anti-sway weight distribution hitch as part of the deal, so that should help. The campers themselves are pretty neat, they think of everything it seems. The automation and monitoring devices will hopefully make for some long, enjoyable weekends.....

Can you guys throw out some "must haves" and "don't leave home without it" items, know I need a water pressure regulator, sewer hose and white water hose....

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Can you guys throw out some "must haves" and "don't leave home without it" items, know I need a water pressure regulator, sewer hose and white water hose....
    A fan can be nice. A single AC in summer heat can struggle to keep things comfortable.

A rug or mat for under the door to cut down on what gets tracked in.

Nitrile disposable gloves to use when dumping the tanks.

Chocks and leveling blocks. A jack that will lift the camper to change a tire.

Tools. You probably want a square drive bit for some of the fasteners on the rig.

Notebook to start a list of all the things you needed and forgot. Also to start a checklist of what you need to do before you hit the road in the future.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

One of the must haves for me was an entire set of tools. You'll figure out what you need... Another was a small electric leaf blower to clear concrete pads before setting up. MUCH easier than a broom. An outdoor rug under the awning and a "Welcome" mat at the steps are always nice. Unless it has a built in level, you'll need one for sure. A cordless drill with a socket to fit the leveling lugs works easier than the hand crank. Disregard if it is auto-leveling.

It is not necessarily a must have but I always liked dimmer outdoor lighting than standard lights on the outside of the camper. A set or two of all white Christmas tree lights was better IMO.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

A sway control and hitch will help but will not totally eliminate sway

Get one of these: Amazon.com: Valterra A01-1117VP Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Regulator: Automotive These are much better than the cheap one the dealer will give you. You will find water pressure will vary from campground to campground.

If you are buying new, your dealer should give you a package that includes a sewer hose, drinking water hose, etc. When you can, buy an extension for your power cord, a spare water hose, and a extra 20 feet of sewer hose. Trust me, at some point you will need them. A in-line water filter is a good idea but not a must have. Wheel chocks and about 12 1 foot sections of 4x6 for under your stabilizers and tongue jack. If your camper is 30amp, you will need a 50amp and a 110 adapter. Get good ones. A lot of people recommend driveway camping so you find out what you will need. Keep a pen and paper so you can keep a list. Anything you put in and do not use in 3 trips, take it out (except seasonal stuff) I would also recommend one of these: Shop Utilitech 20-in 3-Speed High Velocity Fan at Lowes.com It makes sitting outside in the summertime a lot better and will help keep the bugs away in the evening time. For cooking, get pots/pans that are non-stick coated to make cleanup easier. We have better stuff in our camper than we do at home but totally worth it.

If you plan to use it all year, as we do. A small ceramic heater helps supplement your on-board and not use so much of your propane. A dehumidifier for the winter time is a good idea. That should get you started and I am sure others will add to it.
    Last edited by TightLip; 07-15-2015 at 03:36 PM.
    "I see dead people"

13. Banned
    1. Think big every minute. Don't forget what you're towing is big and wide.
    2. Look left, look right, look in your mirrors and don't forget to look up.
    3. Your electric brakes should be able to lock the brakes on gravel. Many need adjusting upon delivery.
    4. Learn how to work the plumbing--black and gray water tanks.
    5. Learn how to deal with a hitch.
    6. Don't talk to anyone while you're in close quarters. Tell your wife to keep her mouth shut so you can concentrate.

14. GROWING OLD WITH GRACE DA TOAD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    6. Don't talk to anyone while you're in close quarters. Tell your wife to keep her mouth shut so you can concentrate.
    LOL!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

"Let's raise up our glasses against evil forces......Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses" - Toby Keith

Buy a Big Motor Home and let wife drive, all's cool till she forgets where she's at and gets up to walk back to bathroom

Lots of great advice here and nothing to really add except be safe. The next time you buy consider a 5th wheel and don't forget it's back there.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Haha, she will be in a separate vehicle with my son and the dogs...

18. Member
    As far as big trucks passing and sway, just hold tight to the steering wheel? Its all interstate on the way down and about 10 miles of single lane close to the campground.

19. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    As far as big trucks passing and sway, just hold tight to the steering wheel? Its all interstate on the way down and about 10 miles of single lane close to the campground.
    No, you have to actively steer. I think the worst is when you are driving in a crosswind and the truck blocks it for a short time, then it comes back. The trailer will move you, and with a bumper hitch you have to steer in the direction it moves you to straighten out, so you go even further. It can get to be a little bit of a rodeo if you don't have your tongue weight right or your truck is light on the front end. You will probably have 700lbs on your hitch, and your front wheels can get light, especially if your WD springs aren't adjusted right. Many people end up adding air bags to restore the truck to level so the weight stays on the front end for steering.
    Last edited by CatFan; 07-16-2015 at 07:39 AM.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

20. Member
    Well, made the drive on Saturday. Picked up the camper just as a storm was setting in, wind and rain for my first time on the road. Really amazed at the hitch, that weight distribution deal is for real. Started off "white knuckling" it, getting used to the sway and the weight. Tundra did a good job pulling and the electric brakes worked great. Kept it between 55 and 60 on the way down, again just getting used to things. Couple of 18 wheelers snuck up on me, but overall everything went well. Set up was a breeze and then a cold one. Appreciate all the advice.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast